Tallinn Itinerary Ideas

I just posted a review of our day in Tallinn, Estonia. It's a delightful little city and very easy to do on your own and in one day. Tallinn was the last stop on our Baltic cruise before disembarking in Stockholm and turned out to be a real charmer!

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/?p=912

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

I just posted a review of our day in Tallinn, Estonia. It's a delightful little city and very easy to do on your own and in one day. Tallinn was the last stop on our Baltic cruise before disembarking in Stockholm and turned out to be a real charmer!

Mary

Enjoyed reading your review of Tallinn. We will be visiting the port in a few weeks. I will have to check out the chocolate store.

Edited by BSR

Mary

Thank you for sharing your Travel Blog Mary! :) I really enjoyed reading it all. We will be in Tallin on July 18th and had planned to tour on our own. We will spend plenty of time in other ports on organized tours. Your photos and info will help us plan our day! :D

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

Hi Mary

Thank you for the review of your day in Tallin. We will be there again in June (we were last there in 2013) and just want to walk around on our own this time so your information is very helpful. I have also subscribed to your blog as I am sure I will find more useful information there! Theresa :)

Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

Great blog - especially loved your tour of tearooms

Michele

Theresa, I'm so happy to know you found the Tallinn blog helpful, and I'm delighted to have you as a subscriber! How wonderful that you will be returning to that lovely little city!

If you'll be on a Baltic cruise, you also may want to take a look at the posts on Copenhagen & Stockholm (done on our own) and St. Petersburg & Moscow (guided tours). Have a wonderful time! ~Mary

Michele, Thank you! I really appreciate your taking the time to comment. The tearoom post is one of my favorites as well...I love finding special places to take a break when traveling :) ~Mary

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed your blog and beautiful pictures very much! I have a few questions. How did you get from the ship to Old Town? Did you see any option to take some sort of vehicle to Upper Town so that could be viewed first and then walk down to Lower town and tour there?

I must go to that chocolate factory! Was it difficult to find? Did you utilize Google Maps/Directions while there? Or...how did you navigate? I guess I should ask: were the chocolates from the factory or the Pierre better? (Why?) We only consume dark chocolate if that makes a difference.

How long did it take you to do your tour that day and how arduous would you say is that hill?

Thank you!

cpl100, I'm delighted to know you know you enjoyed the Tallinn blog! Our ship offered shuttle service that dropped us off near the Old Town entrance. I'm not aware of transportation to Upper Town, but it might be worth checking with your excursion desk when you're on board.

Tallinn is a place you can really explore at your own pace. The climb from Lower Town to Upper Town is very gradual, and there are lots of places to stop and window shop or take a break along the way. We stayed from morning until mid-afternoon and never felt rushed.

As for the chocolate factory...it's definitely worth searching for! The address is Roseni 7 in the Rottermann Quarter Courtyard, about a 15-minute walk from Old Town. We used Google Maps and also asked for directions from a friendly resident. The Pierre is more of a place to take a break rather than shop for gifts of chocolates. I couldn't begin to say which was better...both were wonderful!

Happy travels! ~Mary

Smiler34, Thank you for the kind comments! I'm so happy to know the information helped with your planning, and I'm delighted to have you as a subscriber! Have a wonderful time on your Baltic cruise :) ~Mary

cpl100, I'm delighted to know you know you enjoyed the Tallinn blog! Our ship offered shuttle service that dropped us off near the Old Town entrance. I'm not aware of transportation to Upper Town, but it might be worth checking with your excursion desk when you're on board.

Tallinn is a place you can really explore at your own pace. The climb from Lower Town to Upper Town is very gradual, and there are lots of places to stop and window shop or take a break along the way. We stayed from morning until mid-afternoon and never felt rushed.

As for the chocolate factory...it's definitely worth searching for! The address is Roseni 7 in the Rottermann Quarter Courtyard, about a 15-minute walk from Old Town. We used Google Maps and also asked for directions from a friendly resident. The Pierre is more of a place to take a break rather than shop for gifts of chocolates. I couldn't begin to say which was better...both were wonderful!

Happy travels! ~Mary

Thank you for your prompt response. I have entered the chocolate information in my notes. Avid chocoholic here........

I also looked through your blog and see that you recommended a place in Copenhagen. It appears to be a tea house and maybe a restaurant as well. A. C. Perch's. Do you recommend lunch there or just a tea stop? And do you recall if they had any tea without caffeine? Thank you again.

Enjoyed your blog and beautiful pictures very much! I have a few questions. How did you get from the ship to Old Town? Did you see any option to take some sort of vehicle to Upper Town so that could be viewed first and then walk down to Lower town and tour there?

I must go to that chocolate factory! Was it difficult to find? Did you utilize Google Maps/Directions while there? Or...how did you navigate? I guess I should ask: were the chocolates from the factory or the Pierre better? (Why?) We only consume dark chocolate if that makes a difference.

How long did it take you to do your tour that day and how arduous would you say is that hill?

Thank you!

we took a 15 euro taxi to the top, and then walked down. we found someone to share with too.

cpl100, A.C. Perch's is just delightful! We did a tea/lunch break and ordered scones, but there were also sandwich choices. If it's practical for your schedule, I would suggest making a reservation online in advance to avoid waiting. Here's the link: http://www.perchstearoom.dk/default.asp?page=reservation.asp. There's also a menu page. I would imagine they serve decaf tea, but you could always request it on the reservation form. Be sure to check out the little tea shop downstairs. And good luck with the chocolate hunt :) ~Mary