I just want to log-in. USA Website glitches

BermudaBound2014

This is a long post, but I just want to let others know my experience in case they are having the same issues with the website. I can not log into my account at MSC. I called today and followed the prompts. I pressed "3" for website help. The gal who answered the phone was less than helpful and insisted that I would be better off not dealing with the web page at all :eek:. She recommended I actually showed up at the port early and let MSC handle all documentation there. double :eek:

I asked the lady to please look up my booking number to see if login was an easy fix like it was for many. She found my reservation and immediately told me I needed to call my travel agent as she could not answer any questions. I get this, many lines have similar policies: book with an agent, deal with the agent. But a tech problem is a tech problem. In my opinion, the burden to solve a tech problem shouldn't be on my agent. This is a simple... "I just want to log in, give you my passport number, and spend some money" issue.

The web lady transferred me to an agent. After 19 minutes on hold a very nice lady ("Guesline") answered the phone. She acknowledged that MSC web site has been having issues for a 'few weeks'. Unfortunately she could not help me log in, but did think it was odd that the first lady at web support "press 3" recommended I don't bother trying to log in at all and just wait until boarding.

She gave me a different phone number to call. After 45 minutes on hold I was never able to speak with an agent, but did attempt to leave a message per the prompt. Unfortunately, Guesline gave me the wrong direct number. I was on hold for 45 minutes at the "POSt-Cruise" problem department :(.

At this point I'm going to call my agent and see if she can solve the mystery. I did try. I should also mention that when I originally went to book MSC my long time agent warned me about booking with MSC stating that her agency (one of the HUGE USA sites) was about to join one of the the other big USA agencies and stop selling MSC entirely due to their poor customer service. My agent was on hold for over 45 minutes trying to book my trip to begin with. Losing entire agencies for customer service issues can't be good business practice for MSC.

I thought US customs needed all information 48 hours prior to sailing and that was the purpose of online check in? Let me mention again the absurdity of the first 'web assistance' lady recommending I not deal with the web at all and just show up at the port with my passport. She clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in her ability to straighten out a web problem.

I've been stalking the MSC Cruise Critic board long enough to know that phone and online customer service at MSC leaves much to be desired. I do expect my on-board experience to be better as so many have stated..

MSC if you are listening, for the sake of your employees, your partner travel agents, and your direct customers; it seems like the whole web check in should be a top priority problem to solve. It simply doesn't need to be this challenging.

I'll update this thread after my agent tries to solve the problem. Thanks for listening :)

PS: I should also note that I am dealing with the USA website and USA call in center.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
USA site

This is a long post, but I just want to let others know my experience in case they are having the same issues with the website. I can not log into my account at MSC. I called today and followed the prompts. I pressed "3" for website help. The gal who answered the phone was less than helpful and insisted that I would be better off not dealing with the web page at all :eek:. She recommended I actually showed up at the port early and let MSC handle all documentation there. double :eek:

I asked the lady to please look up my booking number to see if login was an easy fix like it was for many. She found my reservation and immediately told me I needed to call my travel agent as she could not answer any questions. I get this, many lines have similar policies: book with an agent, deal with the agent. But a tech problem is a tech problem. In my opinion, the burden to solve a tech problem shouldn't be on my agent. This is a simple... "I just want to log in, give you my passport number, and spend some money" issue.

The web lady transferred me to an agent. After 19 minutes on hold a very nice lady ("Guesline") answered the phone. She acknowledged that MSC web site has been having issues for a 'few weeks'. Unfortunately she could not help me log in, but did think it was odd that the first lady at web support "press 3" recommended I don't bother trying to log in at all and just wait until boarding.

She gave me a different phone number to call. After 45 minutes on hold I was never able to speak with an agent, but did attempt to leave a message per the prompt. Unfortunately, Guesline gave me the wrong direct number. I was on hold for 45 minutes at the "POSt-Cruise" problem department :(.

At this point I'm going to call my agent and see if she can solve the mystery. I did try. I should also mention that when I originally went to book MSC my long time agent warned me about booking with MSC stating that her agency (one of the HUGE USA sites) was about to join one of the the other big USA agencies and stop selling MSC entirely due to their poor customer service. My agent was on hold for over 45 minutes trying to book my trip to begin with. Losing entire agencies for customer service issues can't be good business practice for MSC.

I thought US customs needed all information 48 hours prior to sailing and that was the purpose of online check in? Let me mention again the absurdity of the first 'web assistance' lady recommending I not deal with the web at all and just show up at the port with my passport. She clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in her ability to straighten out a web problem.

I've been stalking the MSC Cruise Critic board long enough to know that phone and online customer service at MSC leaves much to be desired. I do expect my on-board experience to be better as so many have stated..

MSC if you are listening, for the sake of your employees, your partner travel agents, and your direct customers; it seems like the whole web check in should be a top priority problem to solve. It simply doesn't need to be this challenging.

I'll update this thread after my agent tries to solve the problem. Thanks for listening :)

PS: I should also note that I am dealing with the USA website and USA call in center.

Try this link

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Already-Booked/Select-Your-Country-Web-Check-In.aspx

Pete

Make sure you are entering your name exactly as it appears on your booking confirmation e-mail,,,for example,,,I enter my booking number,,,first and middle name into the "First Name" box,,,and then my last name,,,,,My girlfriend has to enter her name differently,,,,booking number,,,,First Name,,,,and then her maiden and married name together in the "Last Name" box.

I don't care what MSC customer service issues are, the MSC Cruise Critic board is without a doubt the most helpful I've ever encountered!!!

Pete: Thanks for the link. I did manage to stay in the UK site, but still no luck loging in.

Mike: My travel agent entered my first name with the prefix "Dr." which I believe may be causing some of the glitch. I've tried every combo I can think of. Dr with the period. Dr without the period. Dr with a period space, no Dr. .. ex...

First Name (only)

Dr.Firstname (period no space)

Dr. Firstname (period space ~ This is how it appears exactly on my confirm)

Dr Firstname (no period space)

I've tried no less than a dozen combinations. My last name is super easy, so the glitch is either in the website itself, my first name or my booking number (although the web lady was able to look up my reservation with the booking number so that's probably not it).

I'm patient. I still have a few months. I'm sure it will all get straightened out and then I'll make up a fake MSC drink coupon and take it to my local watering hole to start vaca early :).

Thanks again :)

I had the same problem and discovered that it was a captcha issue. Several others echoed this. At least you got as far as being able to login... I couldn't log in. I just don't understand why their site sucks so bad. In 2016 as a major company your website should be on point.

My travel agent knows the deal with MSC and we tag team them. Now that I have booked several cruises with him on MSC he puts up with their crap for me.... Thank God!

I couldn't put my info in either and was told I had to wait until after final payment. Well that was wrong because after booking the second leg of a B2B I received an e-mail suggesting I preregister. What I found out is the reason I couldn't get it to go through is that there is a line for ID that I had assumed was for my drivers license and had been entering that there. Once I left that line blank the whole thing eventually worked out. I still got an error message but called MSC (not my TA) and was told they got the info! :confused::rolleyes::D

On the UK site some time ago I also had a similar issue, Skier Pete suggested changing my email address on the "my details" page, this I did and it did the trick, so I was able to log in.

On the new UK site there are two ways to log in, my name appears at the top of the page next to their contact telephone number, click the drop down box (small arrow head) and you then have two options Box 1, Username, email address or card number and password. Box 2 Booking number, first and last name.

Is the US site the same ?

Filling in Box 1 takes me to "my personal area" which then shows two tabs, one with bookings made and the other is My Profile.

Filling in Box 2 takes me to my booking for the Seaside.

Hope this might help.

Today's update:

Travel agent called MSC and we were all on the line at the same time.

My agent: "I'm on the line with MSC and they are suggesting that their webpage is not user friendly and that I will need to input all your information, please send me passport number, etc...."

Me: Ok great, I would also like to purchase the drink coupon package and internet package since I believe they are discounted pre-cruise.

My Agent: Ok please hold.... she comes back a moment or two later: "Just forward me the package you want to purchase and I'll purchase it for you."

Me: Ok great except I can't get to the packages without loging in. I'd like to read the terms and conditions and see what my full range of choices. I can't see that unless I log in which is what we are trying to do."

My agent: "Good point, please hold".

My agent: After 10 minutes on hold. "MSC said good point, they aren't sure how to solve this one. Their site is down right now. Try again tonight or tomorrow morning and see if you can log in. If not, call me back and MSc will try to at least get an account set up for you".

Me: "Sorry I have to put your through all this".

My agent: "No problem at all, but MSC web issues have been going on for months and months and this why we are very hesitant to sell MSC".

Me: "I understand totally, sorry".

Total of this call was only about 20 minutes. Total call yesterday was approximately 1 hour 25 minutes. Total time 1 hour 45 minutes a total of 3 employees from MSC, my travel agent, and myself. I believe it may be less costly for MSC to just fix the web page instead of paying employees to manage issues.

I'll let everyone know the results after tomorrow :).

Success! I was finally able to log into my account!!! Little patience, lot of perseverance, help of fabulous TA and I have confirmation of a cruise I've paid in full :). Of course, there is no place for me to put in Passport information or Emergency Contact, but my TA stated she needs to take care of that for me (new MSC rule or something).

I did lock up trying to sign up for the Voyager club, but I aborted in fear the system would punish me again for trying to do to much too quickly.

Few interesting tidbits of information for those that can't get logged in:

1) The internet package appears cheaper than what I've seen listed on MSC and posted here. Of course, that could be the Euro/Am conversion I'm forever stumbling with. Prices once I've logged in are all in US dollars. These are the prices for internet packages once logged into the site:

60 minutes = $12

100 minutes = $18

300 Minutes = $40

480 minutes = $60

1440 minutes - $120

I purchased 100 minute package on NCL Beakaway two years ago and it was more than enough to check email and do a bit of social media. Sad to say that wasn't the case with her sister ship the Getaway last year. We had unlimited package and it was painfully slow. Based on what I've read here, the internet speed appears on par with Breakaway, so I'm going to start with the 100 minute package and go from there. weird how sister-ships in the same fleet were entirely different speed configurations.

2) Laundry seems like it is very favorably priced.

Back Home Clean 10 Items is $20.00: "Back Home clean 10

"Prolong your holiday by returning home with your shirts and trousers washed, dried and ready to store. Ideal for a seven-day cruise. This service enables you and the other occupants of your cabin to have your garments washed and ironed at any time during the cruise or even all together on the last day of cruise (max 10 items per cabin). Dry cleaning is excluded. Items are collected before 10 am and returned before 5 pm the following day. On the last day (day prior disembarkation) of the cruise items are collected before 9 am and returned before 5 pm the same day. Silk, wool, men?s suits and evening dress are excluded from the last day of the cruise option as they require special treatment. Note: This offer cannot be combined with promotions reserved for MSC Yacht Club and MSC Club Members."

Back Home Clean 20 items is $30.00 and 40 Items is $50.00. It think this is terrific especially since you don't have to get it all done in one bag at one time. I could easily pack in a carry-on with the 10 Item cleaning package and be set for the week. I may just do it for the challenge :).

3) I was able to find the drink package I am interested in purchasing and can FINALLY see where some were quoting the $8.00 cocktail price limit from. Here's a blurb of the non-all-inclusive packages:

MORE-FOR-LESS ESCAPE PASS = $84.00

Beverage card for 18 consumptions, valid for all drinks from the Bar and Wine including wines by the glass with the price up to US$7.50, draft beer, bottled or canned beer with the price up to US$5, canned sodas, fruit juices, mineral water, wide selection of coffee-based drinks, premium teas, hot chocolate delights, selection of call-brand spirits, all cocktails from the Bar list with the price up to US$8, as well as take away ice cream in a cone or cup.

BOTTLED BEER PACKAGE - $57.00

14 beers in bottle or can selected from our Bar or Wine List. Vouchers can be consumed at any bar, restaurant and self-service buffet.

There are lots more. Coffee Cuddle, Soda Package, Wine packages, Water packages. I'd be more than happy to do a cut and paste in the event someone else is waiting clearance to log in :).