QM2 Quebec to New York- more questions

Jeffrey1950

When making this sailing I understand boarding starts at noon. Is it safe enough to fly in the same day from New Jersey or is it advisable to fly the day before of course taking it into account the ship does not sail until the following day. What happens when although you have boarded one day but do not actually sail till the following afternoon. Once, check in does anyone get back off the ship to look around or do you stay on board and enjoy what QM2 has to offer?

IMO it's advisable to arrive the day before.

Flight delays, immigaration lines, lost luggage, legendary NYC traffic - you name them!

As far as I know, you could leave the ship after embarkation but who wants it?

We come for the Queen Mary 2 experience, we've paid for it so we don't want to leave....

We always fly in the day before the ship is due to sail so it's perfectly safe for you to fly in the day of boarding, if you aren't sailing until the next day.

There is always a risk of delays which might mean you board later or spend less time in Quebec than you want, but you won't miss the ship.

Once you are boarded you can do pretty much what you like. Depends if you want to get out and see Quebec or if you want to explore the ship. It's up to you.

I agree with arriving a day in advance….

The area near the docks doesn't seem to have motels/hotels. I'm sure many New Yorkers can give you specific recommendations, but personally I would stay in Manhattan and taxi across the bridge to Brooklyn when ready to board the ship.

Please do post a review of your experience, after your voyage. It will be nice to hear how things work out and what you enjoy!

Happy Sailing!

I think the OP is boarding in Quebec not NYC and there are many hotels available in the old town area of Quebec' date=' very close to the waterfront. I would check tripadvisor for Quebec.[/quote']

Thank you for correcting my mistake, jean's friend.

Jimmybean

The most famous hotel in Quebec City is the Chateau Frontenac. A few years ago I stayed at the Hotel du Vieux Quebec prior to a Princess Cruise. The hotel staff were wonderful and there were restaurants in the immediate area for dinner. The front desk staff called a cab to take me to the pier.

I have friends currently on board and they took the train from Toronto and arrived at the ship (Quebec City) for check-in around 10 p.m. along with others. The ship was due to sail the next day late afternoon.

I have friends currently on board and they took the train from Toronto and arrived at the ship (Quebec City) for check-in around 10 p.m. along with others. The ship was due to sail the next day late afternoon.

Thank you for posting this information. I am taking this cruise next October and we will be travelling by train to Quebec. It is good to know that a late check-in is permitted. The first train from Toronto (via Montreal) arrives in Quebec at 16:20, but that involves departing Toronto at 06:40. There are other possibilities, of course, such as a later train ex-Toronto or staying one night in Quebec or breaking the trip in Montreal and spending a night there.

This probably is the same trip I am hoping to take it is on the 4th. of October 2016 but I am now wondering surely there is an Airport in Quebec?? There has been a couple mentions of trains.

Of course there is an airport, but trains and ships are both civilised modes of transport. VIA Rail's Business Class is quite pleasant and most trains in the "corridor" run on time. If you have a modest amount of wheeled luggage the distance from Gare du Palais and the main cruise terminal is walkable - close to a mile.

I do fly from time to time, though. Toronto - New York is one route that we have to fly because the Amtrak train on this route is rubbish.

• 5 months later...

All....great information. We will be on Jeffery's cruise as well. Due to flight schedules we are spending an extra night in Quebec City. Staying at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. Quite excited about that!!

Can anyone help with these questions:

[*]Best way to get from the cruise terminal to the hotel? Taxi? Private Car?

[*]Best way to get from the hotel to the airport?

[*]How is Canadian Customs handled once you arrive in Quebec City?

[*]Is there US Immigration at the airport or do we do that in Philadelphia on our way back to the US?

Thanks!!

Tom

We flew into Quebec City from NJ for the Oct 2015 cruise on day of the cruise .(not sailing until the next day was comforting )

Took cab (about $35 CA) to QM2 , checked in . After dinner , got off

to explore old Quebec City a bit . Next day out walking the town with a tourist map .