Star Princess: DVD player?

awesomeblossom

Question: I see several comments on "things to bring" posts about a portable DVD player. I also noticed that the comments were quite old (like at least 10 years old). I notice that the rooms have TVs and I assume pre-recorded closed-circuit type offerings. Do the televisions on the Star Princess have DVD players or are they equipped with the plug-ins to attach a separate DVD playing device?

We're in a balcony room (simplest level balcony) if that makes a difference.

I feel silly asking such a "trite" question - and we may not even WANT to watch a DVD depending upon the entertainment options onboard - we don't drink and other than square dancing - a number of years back, we aren't the type who usually go out dancing (yup - we're rural folk from the midwest) And although I don't want to pack a bunch of silly things.... I do have an old portable DVD player that my son took to college (AGES AGO). I'm still deciding what to bring. Sometimes my husband and I like to relax and watch an old movie together after a busy day. We've just retired and this is our first cruise EVER.

Connections are usually on the TVs, but can be 1) hard to reach, 2) difficult to switch from TV to DVD.

DVD players provided in suites only.

Quite a few different types of movies on the TV, on MUTS and sometimes in the theater in the afternoon. Lots to do during the day, you won't miss watching movies...wait till you get home to do that and enjoy the experience of the ship.:)

Your question is not trite!!! We like to watch TV at nite for a little while before we go to sleep! We were not able to hook up anything on the Emerald Princess TV or on the Regal or Royal Princess in the last 2 years. In mini suites, TVs are flush wall mounted and you can't get behind them or jack anything in to them

So, we gave up and started watching the movies that Princess offers on the TV and they were great. I think we watched about 20 movies on our last 10 day cruise, many of them were recent releases. Generally, when a movie plays on the MUTS screen, it is available on your TV the next day.

Thank you for your information. I appreciate knowing what my options are - and you are both right. I was't thinking of movie offerings on the ship's tv choices. We can get along fine -- IF we even want to watch a movie. We may be so tired we'll just collapse at night!!

We need closed-captions and complained to the front desk that most of the movies on TV were not captioned. They sent us an electronics tech named Abe who installed (not an easy job) a disc player and we could get films that usually are reserved for suites.

I doubt you can get this if you do not have a compelling reason.

Steve

We need closed-captions and complained to the front desk that most of the movies on TV were not captioned. They sent us an electronics tech named Abe who installed (not an easy job) a disc player and we could get films that usually are reserved for suites.

I doubt you can get this if you do not have a compelling reason.

Steve

After the installation of the DVD player (what ship) were all the movies available to you on disc that were being played on the ship at that time?

Your question is not trite!!! We like to watch TV at nite for a little while before we go to sleep! We were not able to hook up anything on the Emerald Princess TV or on the Regal or Royal Princess in the last 2 years. In mini suites, TVs are flush wall mounted and you can't get behind them or jack anything in to them

So, we gave up and started watching the movies that Princess offers on the TV and they were great. I think we watched about 20 movies on our last 10 day cruise, many of them were recent releases. Generally, when a movie plays on the MUTS screen, it is available on your TV the next day.

Not sure if it's the same on all Princess ships but when we were on the Island in April, we were in one of the new suites and the tv's were wall mounted and as I was trying to plug in an HDMI cable I noticed if you lifted the tv a bit, the bottom swung out, then I noticed that I could lift the tv up and off the wall. The flat screens are very light and easy to handle, so while I held the tv my wife plugged in the cable then I simply put the tv back on wall mount. The second tv in the room was even easier as I knew what to do ;p. Don't blame me if they're not all mounted the same, but that worked like a peach for us.

After the installation of the DVD player (what ship) were all the movies available to you on disc that were being played on the ship at that time?

It was Royal...forgot to mention. We had the full selection of DVDs but found it best to go back to the same Purser so as not to have to continually explain. I really do not remember if the selection was the same as the Princess Patter's.

We need closed-captions and complained to the front desk that most of the movies on TV were not captioned.

We have complained as well, and usually been told 'thank you for letting us know'.

At least on regal and royal, they have sub-menu of captioned material.

We have complained as well, and usually been told 'thank you for letting us know'.

At least on regal and royal, they have sub-menu of captioned material.

They have a section of films (limited) that supposedly have captions but it hardly ever works. I like to use them early morning so I don't disturb my wife.

New Royal trip I'm bringing a long audio cord so I can connect my earphones. If I recall correctly I believe they had an audio out jack.