November 19 crossing - winter coat needed?

Eric2005

Eric I've done a couple crossings in August and worn sweatshirts and jeans mid-atlantic. The air temp is likely to be 40 or less, then add the wind chill of the actual windspeed, plus the speed of the ship moving over the water (say 25 knots) and it will be COLD. I'm on this one, and I'm bringing a coat, hat, gloves, and lightweight lap blanket for outside time.

• 3 weeks later...
Eric I've done a couple crossings in August and worn sweatshirts and jeans mid-atlantic. The air temp is likely to be 40 or less' date=' then add the wind chill of the actual windspeed, plus the speed of the ship moving over the water (say 25 knots) and it will be COLD. I'm on this one, and I'm bringing a coat, hat, gloves, and lightweight lap blanket for outside time.[/quote']

Chris, I am with you 100% I wear my heavy duty down coat to board in November throw it in the closet once on board but believe me it sure comes in handy when you want to go out on deck or your balcony. The wind can cut right through a sweater or sweat shirt! I also pack my gloves and ear muffs! Be prepared to enjoy and stay toasty warm :>)!

Every poster so far is correct. By all means do bring a heavy coat to wear. Will you use it; no one can answer that now. I've been on November and January crossings where a long sleeve shirt kept me quite comfortable. I've even fallen asleep in the warm sun on my balcony, but other times I've seen snow and ice on the balcony.