How do I bring back my alcohol from my cruise?

Turqoisblu

I have spent the last few years travelling the US and Caribbean in search of hard to find rums, so I have a little experience getting bottles home.

A few flying-with-booze tips:

--On US Domestic flights you may carry on as many less than 3oz containers of liquid - including alcohol - in your single quart size ziplock as you can fit. You may not, however, consume alcohol on a plane unless you purchase it from the airline.

--You may put as much as 5 litres in a checked bag before the TSA gets cranky. They may inspect your bag but 5 litres is within regulations.

--Most full size bottles will be 700-750ml, so you could pack 5 or 6 and a bunch of minis in a bag.

--A 750ml bottle weighs about 3 pounds, more or less. Keep that in mind when you're packing - it is usually cheaper to check a second bag than it is to check an overweight bag. I carry a small digital luggage scale and weigh my bags carefully.

--Wine diapers are magnificent. They zip closed and have a layer of absorbent material; on the off chance something breaks or a cork gets a little loose you won't soak everything else in your bag (or every other bag around). They also pack flat and weigh next to nothing when empty so if you don't use them it's not a waste of packing space. Bubble wrap and gallon size ziploc bags are almost as effective - especially for odd shaped bottles that may not fit in a wine diaper. Then pad everything with clothing. Well wrapped bottles will take a surprising amount of baggage handler abuse.

--Another benefit of zip-bags: if the TSA inspects, they may slice through your carefully bubble wrapped bundle to see what you've got in there. They will not tape it back up. If they have to get into a zip bag, they may just zip it closed and go on about their day; even if they don't re-seal it, your bottle is still better protected against mayhem.

--If you have to fill out a customs declaration form, claim everything, even if you go over your duty-free allowance (Mine usually says "5 litres assorted rum" - you don't have to be more specific - with an approximate $ value). The duty is usually not worth the trouble; I have yet to meet the customs official who was going to make a point over a couple of dollars, especially when there's a line of 800 cruise passengers behind me.

As with anything, your mileage may vary. Good luck and have a great trip!

Thanks

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2017

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2016

Unless you are buying something extremely hard to find and rare, I would just skip it and pay the few bucks more to pick it up at your local discount store. I have never seen mainstream liquors (Captain Morgan, Skyy Vodka) at such a discount that it would warrant potentially ruining my suitcase of clothing and the hassle of added weight, which may then tip your bags over the weight limit.

Technically this is incorrect. You can bring alcohol onto the aircraft, it is treated as any other permitted liquid and just has to be in less than 3oz containers.

FAA guidelines do not permit you to consume your own alcohol.

Not true. The rules simply prohibit you from pouring your own alcohol. The FA can do this for you; in fact, this is encouraged on JetBlue:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bet-you-didnt-know-that-jetblue-flights-are-byob-2017-5

Having just returned from China via Hong Kong. They do extra security screening at the gate in HK, just prior to you handing over your boarding pass and entering the jetway. A sign is posted stating "any" liquids over 100ml is not allowed per "US Regulations" including water, sealed in bags or not on US bound flights. We had a couple unopened soda cans of herbal tea obtained post-security that was confiscated. The alternative was to drink it all on the spot. KID drank half a can in one gulp before tossing it into the bin :o