Dead Sea - how long to go for

karenbeanpole

What's a reasonable amount of time to spend at a resort at the Dead Sea? We will be getting there from Aqaba 3 hrs each way. Besides lunch and floating in the sea, do we just spend time walking around? Using the pool? Or scrubbing the mud off??

Our ship is docked quite a long time so I wondered whether 5 hrs at the resort is too much? Too little?

What's a reasonable amount of time to spend at a resort at the Dead Sea? We will be getting there from Aqaba 3 hrs each way. Besides lunch and floating in the sea, do we just spend time walking around? Using the pool? Or scrubbing the mud off??

Our ship is docked quite a long time so I wondered whether 5 hrs at the resort is too much? Too little?

Two hours would be plenty....while your in the area why not include a visit to Masada.

Two hours would be plenty....while your in the area why not include a visit to Masada.

I'm guessing this is on a ship's tour to the Jordanian side, so will not include Masada. The Israeli side from Aqaba would be possible on a private tour but fraught with difficulties.

Karen - half an hour in the water is plenty, the rest of the time will be relaxing on the shore at the resort hotel, or me be in the spa.

Have you visited Petra or Wadi Rum. IMHO both are better than hours on a bus for that one admittedly-unique experience. Mebbe include Dead Sea (and Masada) on some future trip to Israel.

JB :)

I've been to the Dead Sea, Masada and Wadi Rum. If I were to be docking in Aqaba, my first choice would be Petra (which I did not get to see), but Masada would be a close second. Wadi Rum would be next. The Dead Sea, while interesting, would be the last on my list.

How much time should you allocate for the resort? How long will it take you to become bored floating on your back? :)

We did Petra and Wadi Rum when we were in Aqaba last November, both excellent places and we had a wonderful time. Our ship failed to dock in Israel at that time, so we missed the Dead Sea (and Jerusalem). So this time I thought it would be good to do the Dead Sea. I know it's muddy, greasy, dirty and one feels awful.... but it's got to be done! I guess we won't be floating in it for long, but wondered if there were other things to do at a Dead Sea resort besides eating the lunch they provide. After being transferred there (3 hrs each way) I didn't feel we want to come back after 2 hours. Is it nice to walk around the beach area? Is there a beach area? Swimming pool? We can easily chill there? I've allowed 5 hrs at the resort as our ship is not leaving till late - we are due to arrive at 11.30 and leave at 4.30, but it's pretty much up to us when we leave as it's a private tour. Is that way too long?

• 3 months later...

Hello. We did masada and the dead sea from Eilat on our Neo-classica ships tour last year. It was a long day but unique.After walking around Masada with a very enthusiastic guide, we made our way to the dead sea and had a buffet lunch in a hotel and then a soak in the dead sea, (changing cubicles were provided along with a towel) i then used the hotels pool (very cold) I believe we spent about 2 hours in the dead sea and hotel. For us that was enough time.

We are glad that we did it but wouldn't do it again. Happy cruising.