NFL Games onboard?

zelker

The only time I was able to see a NFL game was a few years ago when it was the Super Bowl and they showed it in the Grand Salon - complete w/ hot dogs, beer, popcorn, etc. - but none of the earlier playoffs were shown. The TV channel selection is one area they could definitely improve on, and 1/2 the time you can't even get a signal.

It has nothing to do with satellite coverage; costs of viewing major league football, baseball, basketball, et al is enormous. The Bowl games are likely to be "reruns" but just as special for cruisers since they probably don't already know the results.

It has nothing to do with satellite coverage; costs of viewing major league football, baseball, basketball, et al is enormous. The Bowl games are likely to be "reruns" but just as special for cruisers since they probably don't already know the results.

Depends if they read those wee news sheets that appear outside your room every morning ;) Or do they no longer do that and ask guests to use an app for that?

Really? The game I mentioned Seattle vs. Denver was viewed in New Zealand and the quality was pretty much the same as I get from DirecTV.

So I don't think your opinion on this is correct.

My opinion was in fact fact. I've quoted a few bits from Wikipedia for your edification.

"Most commercial communications satellites, broadcast satellites and SBAS satellites operate in geostationary orbits"

"A geostationary orbit can only be achieved at an altitude very close to 35,786 km (22,236 mi), and directly above the Equator"

"Geostationary satellites are directly overhead at the Equator, and become lower in the sky the further north or south one travels. As the observer's latitude increases, communication becomes more difficult due to factors such as atmospheric refraction, Earth's thermal emission, line-of-sight obstructions, and signal reflections from the ground or nearby structures. At latitudes above about 81°, geostationary satellites are below the horizon and cannot be seen at all."

As the OP, I guess we won't be pinning any hopes on seeing much, if ANY, NFL then as we cruise around the tip of South America and around Antarctica ... Can't get much further away from the Equator than that. Will have to rely on the Internet for score updates.

\

Definitely more coverage the further away you get from the equator.;)

Auckland has a latitude of 36...

Seattle is 47degrees

There may well be a flaw in the argument..... stated in post #3

Edited by MrsWaldo