Dolphins in the WILD tour - Puerto Vallarta

rammy2011

Hi, Travelling on the Grand Princess and visiting Puerto Vallarta on January 3, 2017. My husband and I would like to do the Dolphins in the Wild and we need another couple to do the tour - minimum is 4 people. Tour is with wildlifeconnection com and it is an authentic tour in a small boat seeing dolphins in their natural habitat. They are a research group. Price is about $72US

• 4 weeks later...
Except that the dolphins are not in the wild :o

I don't understand the comment. Do you know something negative, specific to this company, that indicates the dolphins are not free in the ocean?

I don't support the idea of captive dolphins in a tank, or swimming with them in a confined area, but observing wild ones, respectfully done, is educational.

According to the website (below in this post and linked above by poster), the boat goes out on the water to sight whales and dolphins.

http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/whale-dolphin-watching-tour/

(not recommending any certain tour, just reading the site linked above)

Is that not "in the wild", when the animals are free to come and go in the open ocean? There are regulations about "chasing" the animals too closely that the boats follow.

Many destinations world-wide have whale/dolphin watching in a respectful manner.

I'm so sorry, nevermind my comment. It was so late and I read that wrong. I thought I read something different. I know of nothing negative and know as much as the website states. Looks like dolphins in the wild actually means in the wild. I'm a dufuss. I too can't stand when dolphins are in captivity and I thought it was one of those I guess. I'm not sure. Sorry about the confusion. I will try to edit the comment if I can :eek:

Having done a dolphins-in-the-wild swim, let me urge realistic expectations. Yeah, the websites are full of videos showing cheerful dolphins playing with swimmers. But in my experience, we spent a lot of time chasing after pods of dolphins, plunging in the water, and trying to orient ourselves toward the dolphins who were, almost uniformly, utterly disinterested in spending any time near us. (One did briefly approach my husband, then hustle away.) Then it was time to climb back up in the boat and repeat the routine. And again.

That all can vary, of course, depending on the dolphins' feeding schedules and moods. But though it was a humane way to try to interact with dolphins, my experience was just plain disappointing. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Edited by shepp

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted to do this excursion when in PV in April, but when I contacted them they said my ship docked too late to make it possible. I now plan to go to PV to make it happen another time. Let me know how it goes.