Mexican Pesos vs. US Dollar

CaityMarie

We are booked January 7

Coming in from Canada we will find an ATM at a bank and use our us money to exchange at Cabo.

The biggest concern about using us money is the extra exchange. But if you pay in US $. do they give pesos back in change or US $?

A 10 day cruise would 120.00 peso be enough for some shopping and incidentals

Julie

Hi Julie,

120 Pesos is currently worth about $6 (US) which is not going to pay for much shopping :). For simple planning purposes you might want to think about $1 equal to 20 Pesos (this is changing all the time). If you pay in US Dollars you can certainly ask for change in dollars but whether this happens depends on whether the merchant, taxi, restaurants etc...has dollars. If not, you are going to get Pesos. We notice you show a Canadian address (there are many Canadians in Puerto Vallarta) but the "Loonie" is not readily acceptable by most merchants....although a few do take Canadian money (we have seen a few signs in shops).

There are plenty of ATMs located around PV but we always suggest using ones owned by banks. There are also privately owned ATMs...some of which will dispense US Dollars......but I have a pet peeve about sticking to the bank ATMs (many do not agree with me). When you use an ATM in Puerto Vallarta you will usually be able to get English instructions...and will be warned about fees/taxes which are assessed on transactions. These taxes/fees can often be in the $2-$3 range...so its meaningful on a small withdrawal...and not so important on larger withdrawals. There are also some money changing places around towns (called "Cambios) which have varying exchange rates. While not as good as the ATM rates, some of the Cambios are pretty competitive. Personally, we use ATMs to get all of our cash (thousands of dollars worth of Pesos every year) with no problems.

Hank

Hank

Previous post would 120.00 US be enough

Today 120 Canadian would give us 1876.68 pesos

We plan to do some shopping. i find that the taxi drivers always said they did not have US change.

We have a US credit card that we will be using as well.

As you know most credit cards charge extra for foreign exchange fee.....

Julie

Edited by C'estsibon

Hank

Previous post would 120.00 US be enough

Today 120 Canadian would give us 1876.68 pesos

We plan to do some shopping. i find that the taxi drivers always said they did not have US change.

We have a US credit card that we will be using as well.

As you know most credit cards charge extra for foreign exchange fee.....

Julie

No way for anyone to estimate your shopping budget :). That's why I also brought up the ATM option....to get more Pesos if needed. As to credit cards, like many frequent travelers we have plastic that has no foreign exchange fees (I have 3 different cards like this). If you find yourself doing a lot of traveling look into CapitalOne. Not sure if their Canadian issued cards have fees...but they do not in the USA. But many of the small time vendors (who sometimes sell decent stuff) do not take credit cards.

Just a personal note that we cannot believe what has happened to the Canadian dollar. We understand that oil prices have a major impact....but still a shocker at $1.35:1. In Puerto Vallarta this actually has quite an impact. Many merchants and restaurants who might normally increase their prices with the fall of the Peso...are somewhat constrained because they must also consider the impact on our many Canadian visitors/residents. Just consider a Costco annual membership which costs 450 Pesos in Mexico and is good at any Costco in the US and Canada. At the current exchange rate that membership costs about $22 (US) a year....which is why most who live in PV for part of the year get their Costco and/or Sams memberships in Mexico.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

And do not remember, costs of items in us is much cheaper that Canada.we have a pine log cabin in P A. No tax on clothes so even with the exchange still a great buy.

Now as far as Mexico, this will be our first cruise in this region. Caribbean and Mediterranean cost are some what higher. Much with the euro

My shopping will be for the culture and artisans not frilly stuff or impulsive shopping. We will bring US funds for sure plus our client card for. ATM

We have a US bank in P A

All and all we should be ok

Thanks for the info

While many shops may pull out a calculator at the register and provide a favorable exchange based on the current rate, one thing to keep in mind if one is planning to visit any restaurants/bars...

Many of the places located in tourist areas will have menus printed with prices listed in both pesos and USD. However, most all of them do not continually update these menus to reflect the ever fluctuating exchange rate. Some may still have menus printed from when the exchange rate was around 12 pesos to the dollar(a few years ago).

With the current rate standing at >20pesos to the dollar, that is a significant recent increase in value for the dollar -- a 70% increase to be exact.

A $20(USD) meal w/ drinks(a few years ago) will now cost $12(USD) for the same fare when paid in pesos. $100(USD) in souvenirs becomes $60(USD) etc. etc. etc.

One ought naught fret if they find themselves returning home with a few unspent extra pesos in hand. It provides a good reason to return to Mexico to spend them at a later date:)

Edited by Skai

And do not remember' date=' costs of items in us is much cheaper that Canada.we have a pine log cabin in P A. No tax on clothes so even with the exchange still a great buy.

Now as far as Mexico, this will be our first cruise in this region. Caribbean and Mediterranean cost are some what higher. Much with the euro

My shopping will be for the culture and artisans not frilly stuff or impulsive shopping. We will bring US funds for sure plus our client card for. ATM

We have a US bank in P A

All and all we should be ok

Thanks for the info[/quote']

For artist shopping check out the Rio Cuale. The top of the area is an artist school. Down along the river there are several artists. Towards the ocean is (was?) a small ceramics museum.

We are booked January 7

Coming in from Canada we will find an ATM at a bank and use our us money to exchange at Cabo.

The biggest concern about using us money is the extra exchange. But if you pay in US $. do they give pesos back in change or US $?

A 10 day cruise would 120.00 peso be enough for some shopping and incidentals

Julie

An idea about prices-

We rarely eat at restaurants catering to the American tourist. On our February cruise the peso was in the 17.4:1US range. Ships at port in PV were giving a 16:1 rate.

100 pesos bought Sis and I had lunch (huaraches, a tostada thing, and two fresh made melon agua frescas) at the Mercado behind Sam's Club in PV.

Paid 220 pesos for sandals in the La Paz Mercado. Same amount for lunch in the same Mercado for Mom, Sis and I. (3 fresh squeezed OJ, three entrees.)

In the Manzanillo Mercado paid 70 pesos for a shrimp cocktail.

It depends on where you are willing to go in Cabo specifically for food and shopping. The restaurants and shops around the port are very expensive.

We always pay in pesos or use our credit card and ask they charge in pesos. We were there for a week last week and some of the tab conversions were really off. For example, $47 US was the tab but when the card company converted, the bill was only $38. We were there for a week so that adds up!

you can find great tacos north of the marina - taco guss was amazing!

Taco loco also had some pretty good food, it's across from the giggling marlin if you google map it. These places are about a 15-20 minute walk from the main pier.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

We usually sail Royal and they usually sell local currency at the front desk at a not to horrible exchange rate. This trip, however, we are on Princess. Does anyone happen to know if they will sell us pesos? I hate to order a small amount from our bank due to set shipping fees. And NO, I don't use ATM's other than those belonging to my bank due to fees and security so that is not an option. I will be bringing credit cards with no exchange fees for larger purchases.

Off topic, does anyone know if Los Osuna is still sold at the port or do I need to go to the distillery?

Sent from my iPad using Forums