Help needed for india visa from uk

kalmick

Has anyone any valid information about how to apply for our visas needed for India please. March 9th on Norwegian Star. Have had so many different versions my head is spinning. Some say you need to send your passport off others say you need a face to face interview. Help..........................:confused:

Did you try researching on the government webpage?

You'll need to submit your passport with the application:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/india/articles/Indian-tourist-visas-e-visa-scheme-extended-to-British-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india/entry-requirements

Edited by 6rugrats

I applied for a visa, on my New Zealand passport, so m y experience may not be teh same. However, the process for getting a visa for India is complicated.

There is an Indian Government web site. Try looking up teh requirements there.

I had to fill in and download an applications form, and then send that to the Indian Embassy, along with my passport, and payment.

The application form was long and involved, asking for details about my father's place of birth and nationality, purpose of visit, intended accommodation - not quite what you had for breakfast, but close!

India also wanted a recent passport photograph, but the dimensions were different from those on my NZ and UK passports.

Unfortunately, one of the legacies that has lingered after British government in India is India's requirement for multiple paperwork.

I have just done this for another cruise.

India use VFS global as their agent for issuing visa's, so you can fill in the form online which you then print off and along with other things you take it along to your nearest application centre. They will check you have given them everything needed and take it all from you, passport too, it will then be posted back to you a few days later.

You can also use a company which specializes in obtaining visas for you but they will charge (usually a lot extra!) for doing it on your behalf.

If you check, recheck and check again it isn't difficult to do it yourself. Mine took a couple of hours finding the information needed etc but then my husband's only took 15 minutes!

Photos need to be an exact size, we had our done at Timpsons (the shoe repair people) but you can also do these yourself if you are good on the computer, I'm not!

Hope that helps - have a go - it can be saved online if you're not sure of an answer and have to stop to find out.

Good luck.

I applied for a visa, on my New Zealand passport, so m y experience may not be teh same. However, the process for getting a visa for India is complicated.

There is an Indian Government web site. Try looking up teh requirements there.

I had to fill in and download an applications form, and then send that to the Indian Embassy, along with my passport, and payment.

The application form was long and involved, asking for details about my father's place of birth and nationality, purpose of visit, intended accommodation - not quite what you had for breakfast, but close!

India also wanted a recent passport photograph, but the dimensions were different from those on my NZ and UK passports.

Unfortunately, one of the legacies that has lingered after British government in India is India's requirement for multiple paperwork.

Thats expected for a visa application.

Ever applied for US visa? 10 times longer than that.

We just got our "E-visa" on line. We are from the US, but the site says UK residents can apply via the site as well. Minimal questions to answer, upload the photo page of your passport, include another passport sized photo, e-visa recieved in 3 days. Directions indicate to print out and bring with passport upon arrival in India. One of the questions was "what airport will you be arriving at?" I don't recall if there was a option for arriving by ship. We are not going to India as a port of call on a cruise, we are flying there for a 2 week tour. I don't know if arriving by air or sea makes a difference, but google "India Visa" and look at the sites.

Edited by marco

Thats expected for a visa application.

Ever applied for US visa? 10 times longer than that.

Maybe for the US, but not for many other countries. I have applied for visas for Vietnam, Cambodia, China. None of them asked as many questions as the application for an Indian visa.

No. I haven't applied for a visa for the US, as both countries for which I have citizenship are part of the US visa waiver programme. I just get an ESTA on line.

I sincerely doubt that the US visa application is ten times as long as the Indian visa application - which is far longer than any other applications I have done.

Maybe for the US, but not for many other countries. I have applied for visas for Vietnam, Cambodia, China. None of them asked as many questions as the application for an Indian visa.

No. I haven't applied for a visa for the US, as both countries for which I have citizenship are part of the US visa waiver programme. I just get an ESTA on line.

I sincerely doubt that the US visa application is ten times as long as the Indian visa application - which is far longer than any other applications I have done.

Perhaps you can look up examples online and compare.

I have filled out both, multiple times. It is about 10 times longer than the Indian visa.

We just got our "E-visa" on line. We are from the US, but the site says UK residents can apply via the site as well. Minimal questions to answer, upload the photo page of your passport, include another passport sized photo, e-visa recieved in 3 days. Directions indicate to print out and bring with passport upon arrival in India. One of the questions was "what airport will you be arriving at?" I don't recall if there was a option for arriving by ship. We are not going to India as a port of call on a cruise, we are flying there for a 2 week tour. I don't know if arriving by air or sea makes a difference, but google "India Visa" and look at the sites.

You can only get an e-visa if you arrive at an airport. If you arrive on a cruise ship you need a different visa.