2017 SB Cruising Itineraries or Encore inspiration

koalapanda

Love this forum, great threads, knowledgable travellers. I am having a block as to Asia December to April and Europe June to September. Although we have cruised these waters I would like to know which cruise itineraries excite You. Otherwise is it Encore that excites you?

Europe June to September. For me, definitely either June or September. Hot and crowded in Europe otherwise, apart from the Norway cruise, which is one of the loveliest IMO. Also, dare I say, less chance of many children on board.

In Europe, just really some favourite ports- Kotor, Montegro; Venice for the sail in and out in particular; Santorini and some other Greek islands early or later season. Bonifacio in Corsica is lovely, and I like going into all the little places, like Sete, Sanary sur Mer, Portovenere, etc. But these more for going round on one's own than excursions.

You will get a large number of recommendations, I think.

I was on a Silversea cruise in Asia in March last year and was surprised how chilly it was in many places (the itinerary was Hong Kong to Singapore). Of course that was "chilly" to an Australian! So next year I have all but decided to try the Encore in the Med - September is my favourite time. We did the Sojourn in the Med in July one year and it was hot - great for dinners on the open deck at night but quite unpleasant for walking around during the day.

So come along on the 4 September 2017 cruise with me! The 20 night itinerary has some lovely ports in the western Med, including Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar.

Edited by cruising kirby

Jenny,

Glad to hear you are planning your next Seabourn cruise. Both areas fun to cruise (well that is true of most anywhere I guess if you are on Seabourn) but one factor to consider is how much you want to spend time in port on tours or wandering on your own. I find in Asia I am more comfortable in most ports having arranged for a private tour guide. Whereas in the Med most ports are very easy to DIY. As to the itineraries themselves in April Seabourn has a few interesting Asian itineraries that are somewhat different from past years. And of course they cap their Asian explorations in April with Japan across to Alaska for the first time. If you don't mind some sea days this could be a great itinerary. As to the Med (always my favorite) I know you were "robbed" of Istanbul this year and I see they have it back on three itineraries. Maybe it is too soon to risk that chance of it being cancelled again? I'm not sure. I hope to go back there in 2018. The other downside to those itineraries is it appears it would mean a repeat of the many of the ports your visited this year. So maybe you would like to consider a Med cruise that goes around Portugal and Spain up the Atlantic including France. We have done two slightly differing itineraries here and especially loved the sail into Bordeaux with the overnight there. As to time of year if year are looking at Eastern Med I would agree June or September but not July or August.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Chairsin

I would pick May or June for a European cruise. The weather is generally Ok its green and uncrowded. I would avoid September, October November the Med is prone to wind and rain and smaller ports close down.

All cruise companies try and sell this period as its too early for the Caribbean and they have ships to fill. Of course many people get lucky and have good weather but in my view its best avoided.

Over the past years we have travelled mid July to late August in Europe. This is some of our coldest months at home. Whilst we save on Arthritic rub and Paracetamol it is very hot in Europe during this time. It is therefore very interesting to read your comments on best travel months. Our perception has been to leave Europe by the end of August as the weather changes. Each time we have been in Venice in August on cue the 31st day of the month, ususlly our last day, rain buckets down.

I am still contempating, not firmly decided on any cruise yet. More inspiration please. Thank you Seabournians for your help so far.

Chairsin if you are ever in Thailand there is a lady Mrs Tong who organises great tours, has good vehicles and English speaking guides. You can probably guess the name of the company. TT for now.

Edited by koalapanda