Pre Cruise in Napoli Italy

koalapanda

the Excelsior Victoria is a beautiful but extremely expensive hotel in Sorrento - surrounded by a big private garden and since a few years the restaurant is michelin starred

la Favorita in the center is good

most of the rooms on the coast near Sorrento are small;

in and around sorrento there a five michelin starred restaurants

in the eighties i once stayed at Ambasciatori on half board.

I loved the shopping trip with Jez (and the subsequent Chef's Market Dinner) and was so impressed that Seabourn invests so much into the local economy. One of the reasons the locals aren't always so keen on cruise ships is that people get off, look round and get back onboard without spending anything - the shopping at least somewhat mitigates that

Great point Patti, trampled streets do not equate to increased economy, anywhere. Seabourn gets it right and we also benefit the joy of eating great produce. So many places are struggling these days the joy in stall holders faces seeing Jez was testimony.

• 3 weeks later...

Unbelievable how life's twists and turns re route our journey.

Believe me I am not the kind to change my mind but here we are now having our pre cruise extension in Milano. Big City excitement is DH's joy. Honestly, a disapointed girl but counting my blessings we can travel in this volatile world.

Lake Como is a definite and possibly a night at La Scala if we can get tickets. We are booked in a hotel in the Duomo area for 5 nights. Please cruisers are there any Milano "don't miss" highlights ?

1...HIGH RELIGION

The front of Milan's colossal late Gothic cathedral, the Duomo (free entry), has been restored to its original sparkling white and is a sensation. Choose a moment when there isn't a big tour party inside.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1196058/Milan-city-breaks-Six-things-do.html#ixzz4djVdN8HM

An article above is a bit old but is on some must do things including La Scala and a visit to see AC or Inter Milan play (guess which one Mr Techno would prefer) Bergamo is supposed to be lovely and about 30 miles away.

I guess I will no longer be able to visit Sorrento vicariously and will have to make the effort to book and go there ;)

Enjoy

IMO that is a great area to stay in Milan. It is worth going up the top of the Duomo and also wandering the Duomo plaza at dusk is beautiful.

We missed getting tickets to Leonardo da Vinci's, the Last Supper as tickets needed to purchased in advance. If interested in this, check out the website now.

A morning walk down from the Duomo along Via Dante to Castello Sforzesco is very nice.

What area of Lake Como are you staying?

Hi Patti, you really have a wealth of travelling experience. Great tips as usual many thanks. Sorrento for an immersion visit is now but a dream for me . The things we take on holiday lead to compromise eh! ;)

Thanks ab21au for your tips it is our first visit to Milano. We have not yet decided re Lake Como. In Milano I chose a small boutique hotel, Spadari al Duomo. Your suggestion of a nice morning walk is definitely on the cards.

In Milano I chose a small boutique hotel, Spadari al Duomo. Your suggestion of a nice morning walk is definitely on the cards.

Your hotel is in a great location, very central. We loved wandering around that area of Milan.

We went there and Bellagio (Lake Como) after getting off the Odyssey in Venice.

Edited by ab21au