Black Watch dep Sydney to S'hampton 4/3/16

malags

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Cruise Critic but hoping I will find some answers to my questions from you 'experienced FO cruisers’.

My OH and I have booked ourselves onto the Black Watch for March 4th 2016, departing Sydney back to Southampton.

I have to admit it was a ‘spur of the moment’ thing, we don’t generally book anything that far in advance, but the dates happened to suit us.

We are flying into Adelaide 3 weeks beforehand, renting a car and driving (slowly!) along the coast road up to Sydney to join the cruise. I contacted FO about the possibility of putting at least one piece of baggage aboard when the BW leaves Southampton so as to not get burdened with excess baggage charges when we fly out. The reply I recv’d wasn’t confidence inspiring as it amounted to ‘try phoning again in a couple of months as our policy has yet to be reviewed for 2016’. Given they encourage bookings over a year in advance, that seemed an odd response.

So, any ideas as to practical, cost effective alternatives should FO decide that we can’t lodge our baggage with them in advance?

And, rather disappointedly, it seems that FO does not offer an ‘all inclusive’ drinks package on this particular cruise. I admit I haven’t (yet) phoned and asked, but wonder if that is other people’s experience? If so, do they offer a ‘wine package’ on board similar to P&O – where you can buy a selection of (6) wines at reduced cost?

Any hints and tips regarding the ship, itinerary, excursions etc etc would be most welcome. Our only previous (limited) cruising has been with P&O (Arcadia and Aurora) and we’re both a trifle concerned that the BW may not be up to the same standards….?? Too late to change now though! Lol. But, all in all we’re looking forward to the trip.

Oh, BTW, we’re both around the 70 mark, but still (thankfully) fit and healthy!

And, rather disappointedly, it seems that FO does not offer an ‘all inclusive’ drinks package on this particular cruise. I admit I haven’t (yet) phoned and asked, but wonder if that is other people’s experience? If so, do they offer a ‘wine package’ on board similar to P&O – where you can buy a selection of (6) wines at reduced cost

I believe it is normal for FO to not offer 'all inclusive' on world cruise segments.

Nor do they have anything like the 'wine package' you mention, but the good news is that the normal bar prices and wine for the restaurant are very reasonably priced when compared to other cruise lines so you may be pleasantly surprised when you compare to 'wine package' prices elsewhere.

do they offer a ‘wine package’ on board similar to P&O – where you can buy a selection of (6) wines at reduced cost?

On a couple of our FO cruises there have been wine tastings where you could order 6, or more, bottles (could be a mixed selection) at a discount.

Didn't notice this on our last cruise so maybe it was an unsuccesful trial, or maybe I just missed it.

Regards, Colin.

Thanks Petina73, I'll have a look at those options if FO fail to deliver.

Mark_T: Yes, I've heard FO drinks prices are reasonable when compared to most other cruise lines. Here's hoping the OH doesn't go overboard...! lol.

I'm still getting to grips with this site, and especially our cruise itinerary and suspect that I'll have more questions as I go along....

• 4 months later...
Thanks Petina73, I'll have a look at those options if FO fail to deliver.

Mark_T: Yes, I've heard FO drinks prices are reasonable when compared to most other cruise lines. Here's hoping the OH doesn't go overboard...! lol.

I'm still getting to grips with this site, and especially our cruise itinerary and suspect that I'll have more questions as I go along....

Have just come across this posting, I am doing the full world cruise as a solo traveller. I did put a message out, but only one other person replied to it, and they are also doing the same section as you. I only paid my balance yesterday as I was having reservations about going by myself, also I have never been on the Black Watch. When I called yesterday I was informed there are 109 solo passengers and the average age is 68, so I feel better about it all, I have been on the Bramer twice and really enjoyed that. Like yourselves, when my husband was alive we cruised PO, Cunard and Celebrity. I am going with an open mind, the itinery is perfect for me, I now need to start planning.

It may be worth contacting a carrier and seeing how much to send a parcel(suitcase) to your first hotel so when you arrive it is waiting. It may be cheaper than with FO. Or, you could take an empty suitcase and buy your clothes there, not sure how prices compare.

Edited by ovccruiser