Mariner Cape Town to Rio December 2015

iguy

We are looking at the Concierge level and higher pre-cruise land safari/game reserve programs offered with this cruise and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or advice about any of them from previous experiences. Thank you.

We are looking at the Concierge level and higher pre-cruise land safari/game reserve programs offered with this cruise and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or advice about any of them from previous experiences. Thank you.

i spoke with Regent today as I booked this cruise way back. Since cruise is 172 days away I was interested to know about excursions on St. Helena. Only port with no Regent excursions offered. All game reserves are five star. As of a couple months back all levels include a pre or post trip. Also business class air was reduced significantly. Your only catch will be availability for safari camp. By the way. Flight to St. Elizabeth is also included. Rio would make an awesome post trip. Best of luck deciding. Mariner is a wonderful ship.

i spoke with Regent today as I booked this cruise way back. Since cruise is 172 days away I was interested to know about excursions on St. Helena. Only port with no Regent excursions offered. All game reserves are five star. As of a couple months back all levels include a pre or post trip. Also business class air was reduced significantly. Your only catch will be availability for safari camp. By the way. Flight to St. Elizabeth is also included. Rio would make an awesome post trip. Best of luck deciding. Mariner is a wonderful ship.

Having been to St. Helena a couple of years ago on a different cruise line, don't remember them having any tours there either. You tender into a small town you can walk thru in about an hour. You can walk up 699 steps to the top of Jacob's ladder and get a certificate or hire a taxi or local to take you to Napoleons Tomb and house. That's about it on the Island so understand no Regent tours.

When we were there, Regent did have a tour around the island but it was not extensive. Perhaps they had some road issues on the island which makes it more difficult to get around which is why Regent is not currently offering an excursion. This may change between now and December.

After posting above, I was really curious about excursions in St. Helena. I checked and they are on the website. Here is a link: http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR151209/activities/regent-choice-plus-free/day-9/default/default.aspx#Activities I was glad to see the excursions -- we were very impressed with the history of St. Helena and well as their life today. This is a very unique and interesting port stop.

Edited by Travelcat2

We had the pleasure of sailing to St. Helena two years in a row on Regent. The first year, we took a tour with Regent that went to Napoleon's Tomb, the Longwood House, and the Plantation House where we got to see and touch giant tortoises.

The second year, we explored on our own. We took photographs of people climbing up Jacob's ladder, as well as climbing down Jacob's ladder. We did not do either. We walked, and explored the area, and found many hidden gems. There is a wonderful museum that has the history of St. Helena. We had a fascinating discussion with the volunteer on both the past history, and the current events and gossip on the island. This included information on the airport that was to be built/not be built. We walked a back road area that took us behind some homes where there was a canal. We went to a distillery, and were given a private tour as well as samples of the alcohol being produced. This included a couple of bottles of Cactus Pear liquor that we brought home. The liquor was in a bottle that represented Jacob's ladder, and was a unique gift. We walked through a park area where a woman stopped us and asked if we had been there the previous year. When I told her we had been, she said she recognized me. (They obviously do not get many visitors.:D) After that, we stopped at an area where we bought some local crafts that were made, and being sold by individuals who had different reasons for not being able to hold a regular job. Selling these items to both the locals, and any visitors who would buy them, allowed them to put money back in the program that kept them "employed". I was happy to buy some of the jewellery. It did not last long, but the gratitude of the people I bought from made the purchase more than worthwhile.

I loved St. Helena, and would happily go back to the island.

Edited by mariners