Queen mary - ghosts?

kdinkus1

I've been to several notorious haunted places, but never had even an inkling of something strange, EXCEPT on the QM. That little tiled room with the pool in it creeped me out. I've been to Halloween parties on the QM and never saw or felt anything. But every single time I was in that room I could not wait to get out. The sensation is oppressive. I'm neither a believer or a nonbeliever. I simply realize there is too much out there we can't explain.

Oh my!!!! That is exactly how I felt in that area. Since it's been a few years since our visit, I have pretty much convinced myself that it was my imagination. Seeing your description has me rethinking that. :confused:

Presented without comment for your entertainment ;) :

In obeah and voodoo beliefs, a person has two souls—a good soul and an earthly one. In death, the good soul goes to heaven, while the earthly one stays in the coffin for three days. If the earthly soul escapes, it becomes a harmful entity known as a duppy. In Barbados, duppies are repelled by walking backward, or by hanging herbs or funeral clothes in a window.

Presented without comment for your entertainment ;) :

In obeah and voodoo beliefs, a person has two souls—a good soul and an earthly one. In death, the good soul goes to heaven, while the earthly one stays in the coffin for three days. If the earthly soul escapes, it becomes a harmful entity known as a duppy. In Barbados, duppies are repelled by walking backward, or by hanging herbs or funeral clothes in a window.

Interesting... So how do I spot a 'duppy' on the Queen Mary? I want to make sure I repel it by walking backwards or making a necklace out of herbs! :eek:

By the way, the OP is my DW. I am also one that very much believes in the Trinity and pray for those that don't.

Why do you pray for someone who doesn't believe the way you do.:confused:

” So how do I spot a 'duppy' on the Queen Mary?” No worries, they’ll spot you first.

”I want to make sure I repel it by walking backwards or making a necklace out of herbs!”

That’s what I do.

Interesting... So how do I spot a 'duppy' on the Queen Mary? I want to make sure I repel it by walking backwards or making a necklace out of herbs! :eek:

You're going to walk around the entire property backwards and/or wear a necklace made of herbs?

What year is it?

If(and this is a big IF) there are ghost or spirits I'm assuming you're trying to become one on this ship either by falling and hitting your head while you're walking backwards or cause somebody can't stand the disgusting smell of herbs around your neck. Maybe even a combination of the two.

Barbados do they have open casket ceremonies in Barbados? That would make it easy for them to escape. If so I feel that entire island would be controlled by "duppies" literally making the entire island a ghost town.

You're going to walk around the entire property backwards and/or wear a necklace made of herbs?

The herb is hemp. It used to be used in rope making. Now it's smoked, lol

Well, I will keep my eyes open and my nose clean to follow the smell of the hemp should it be needed! ha

theriac: You did know that I was only joking about the walking backwards and the necklace of herbs, right? I promise that if a 'duppy' does come near, you'll be the first to hear about it upon my return. :)

I know that the subject of 'ghosts' will either bring out the believers - the skeptics - or those who will make fun of this question. :) (I was not sure where to post this at so it may be moved but I do hope I will get a few comments first) Anyway - I am curious for those who have stayed on the Queen Mary before or after their cruise; have you ever experienced anything strange or unnerving? My DH booked us a two night pre-cruise package and though I'm excited, I have been reading about people who have questioned certain 'happenings' on board. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything odd while staying here? Thanks!

DW and I have stayed at the Queen Mary 3 times "pre-cruise". Love the hotel. Love how close we are to the cruise terminal. The only "strange" thing I experienced was the sloping hallway floors. I understand why they do, but it is still a weird experience. Sorry no ghost stories from me.

Happy sailing!

DW and I have stayed at the Queen Mary 3 times "pre-cruise". Love the hotel. Love how close we are to the cruise terminal. The only "strange" thing I experienced was the sloping hallway floors. I understand why they do, but it is still a weird experience. Sorry no ghost stories from me.

Happy sailing!

Why: 'sloping hallway floors'?

Why: 'sloping hallway floors'?

The elevator and lobby have been set into a more permanent structure. It looks like (if you can imagine) a rope bridge. It is certainly stable and does not sway or anything like that but it slopes down.

Huskie61: I was curious if the 'lilt' was due to the movement from the Queen Mary being on the water or if it was because of the way it settled. Funny thing is is that I have had to wrap sheets tightly around me due to a major storm while staying in the aft balcony. NOW that was interesting! :eek: