Wheelchair access on Allure

Can someone tell me where I can and cannot go easily with a wheelchair? The person is able to walk short distances with a cane, but needs to be in the wheelchair for long distances, i.e., to and from dinner, shows, etc.

Any secrets to easier wheelchair maneuverability, like doors closer to certain locations? Obviously, there are lots of other questions I will have. I've sailed on the Allure once, but did not need to take note. Would it be best to call the cruiseline?

Thanks in advance.

Donna

I had a scooter on tjhe Allure and went pretty much everywhere. The only problem I had was right after the lifeboat drill. They had our station in a Bar below the main deck. the problem happened right after the drill was over. I could not get an elevator. So I went back into the Bar, and when they opened I had a libation or 2 and found the elevators were avail after the wait.

We will be sailing to Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Martin.

Will there be one port that is easily accessible for wheelchair access? I will be pushing my co-worker in a wheelchair. Can I get her off the ship onto flat/smooth ground to do some shopping VERY NEAR the ship? She says she doesn't think she can leave the ship. Is the straw market near the dock? Can I push her there? The other two ports? Does anyone know?

We were on the Allure several years ago (also did Oasis - it's sister ship). My sister uses a mobility scooter. Both ships are very accessible and I honesty don't recall any places we couldn't get to.

Yes, after the muster waiting for elevators was a nightmare, but in my opinion that's true on any ship for anyone using any type of special transport (including strollers). Just too many people and too few elevators.

Allure is a huge ship so just be prepared. I assume you're bringing your own wheelchair.

Courtesy of the Royal Caribbean website, these are the non-accessible features on Allure.

Non-accessible Features con_bulletgray_ico.gif Rock Climbing Wall con_bulletgray_ico.gif Flowrider con_bulletgray_ico.gif Golf simulator con_bulletgray_ico.gif Zip line con_bulletgray_ico.gif Steam Room

I'm pretty sure all the ports you mentioned are docked, as opposed to tendered, so you should be able to go ashore. Sometimes the gangway can be a little steep, but there are crew available to help maneuver the wheelchair.

Courtesy of the Royal Caribbean website, these are the non-accessible features on Allure.

Non-accessible Features con_bulletgray_ico.gif Rock Climbing Wall con_bulletgray_ico.gif Flowrider con_bulletgray_ico.gif Golf simulator con_bulletgray_ico.gif Zip line con_bulletgray_ico.gif Steam Room

I'm pretty sure all the ports you mentioned are docked, as opposed to tendered, so you should be able to go ashore. Sometimes the gangway can be a little steep, but there are crew available to help maneuver the wheelchair.

That's interesting because we were able to get to the Flowrider. Of course not to ride it, but we were able to watch. There was a ramp to get us to the area where the flowrider was. Several of our MDR table mates were avid flowrider participants so we went to watch them one evening.

Oasis class always dock the furthest out in Nassau. So it is a long push to the welcome center. Just outside the welcome building are a lot of vendors with booths selling souvenirs. It is a sort of straw market, but not THE straw market which is in a building on the main drag. Fascinating it is, but it will be very crowded. In St. Maarten there will be a sizeable shopping area next to the piers, and the water taxi to downtown. The water taxi is sort of accessible - I watched them back a wheelchair passenger down into it.

I haven't been to St Thomas in a number of years so don't know if they have enlarged the shopping area at Crown Bay where the Oasis class dock. Lots of iguanas there...EM

Donna Marie, we miss you over on Invincible.

Essiesmom I thought of you just last night as I was going through some personal items regarding my dad. Being on Invincible reminds me SO MUCH of Liz. It is hard as we were friends. I did sign on a few days ago and texted Manuela re my upcoming cruise.

I haven't cruised in 7 years - it is difficult to look at any of these forums when you cannot travel <sigh>

I will, of course, log into Invincible soon.

I hit all 3 ports on Oasis, which is the same class as Allure. There were exactly 2 places I couldn't get to on board: a viewing area at the front of the ship that you had to go up 2 steps to get to, and the very top deck that was only accessible via stairs. I didn't particularly miss either. ;) Shows, games, restaurants - absolutely no problem, the shows had special areas reserved for wheelchairs - not up close, of course, but I found the view acceptable.

St. Thomas had a pretty nice shopping area very near where the cruise ships dock. There were individual shops as well as a kind of flea market and I had no trouble getting my scooter anywhere. I don't remember a market at the cruise dock in St. Maarten but I scootered the 1/4 mile to Philipsburg and had a wonderful time shopping. I'd estimate roughly half the stores were scooter-accessible. The others just didn't get my money. ;)

The cruiseline is the best source for details like how wide is your particular cabin door (to make sure your friend's wheelchair will fit.) But IMNSHO, you'll get better actually-using-the-wc advice here.

I'm going to offer one unasked-for piece of advice: rent a scooter. Allure and Oasis are both HUGE, and if you have to push your friend everywhere, you won't have energy to enjoy the cruise yourself. It also will make her happier to be more independent. Even my hates-to-spend-money DH was totally in favor of me renting a scooter on our first cruise, and it was worth every penny. I could scoot off the ship at ports, see what I wanted to without either DH or I having to stand around bored, and it saved problems when we wanted to do different things on the ship. I loved it so much I have now bought myself a folding scooter to use around town as well as on our upcoming cruise. Also, be sure to take advantage of ship staff offering to help get your friend onto and off the ship! DH decided to be macho and turn down assistance in getting me onboard. He was sure sorry before he got me to the top of the boarding ramp! lol