Toulon?

lifetime_learner

We are cruising in August 2016, but I am really researching and trying to book things early. Can someone suggest must do activities? We like to see and do everything. We are active so walking and climbing stairs are no problem. We are traveling as a party of 4 adults who love history, wine, art, and to experience the local culture. I hope this gives you enough information to help me.

We are cruising in August 2016, but I am really researching and trying to book things early. Can someone suggest must do activities? We like to see and do everything. We are active so walking and climbing stairs are no problem. We are traveling as a party of 4 adults who love history, wine, art, and to experience the local culture. I hope this gives you enough information to help me.

Do a little reading on this board re Toulon and what to do in the port as most take a day trip as there is much to see in the area.

We spent the day exploring Toulon. The Marine Museum is actually quite good and worth an hour or two of your time. Additionally, the cable car is quite enjoyable and the views from atop are quite beautiful. There is also a museum there but we did not go inside as we were limited on time. Toulon itself is a quaint town with some interesting shops and nice places to grab a bite to eat or drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

There are basically two options: a drive West to Cassis for a wine tour, then Aix en Provence for the market or drive East to stop in villages on the way to St Tropez. We opted for the Cassis Aix en Provence experience with a driver/guide we found after contacting a local travel advisor Nancy who knows the area very well. (nancy@southernfranceluxury.com)

We went to Cassis on our first cruise stop in Toulon which was charming; the views from the 'Route des Cretes' that takes you there are spectacular http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187208-d2398250-i156350659-Route_des_Cretes_La_Ciotat_Cassis-Provence.html

On successive visits (we have stopped here 4 or 5 times on cruises in the past 2 years) we have stayed in Toulon each time and have really grown to love the place. It is a fascinating town - away from the tourist trap sea front. Take the 'Petit Train' from right outside the port terminal building for a 45 minute tour (you can get off at the attractive beach area and take a later train back to the port or town centre), then wander around the back streets stopping to sample the local Vin Rose. The Maritime Museum is well worth a visit - show your cruise ship boarding card to get a reduction in the entrance fee. The large daily street market is an excellent place to purchase fresh herbs and the wonderful Marseille Olive Oil Soap.

Edited by campolady