2017 Itineraries

Keith1010

I was able to book AMA for August 2015 on November 22, 2013 -- so I am expecting their 2017 schedules to come out around Thanksgiving. That may only apply to European itineraries.

Most cruise lines repeat most of their itineraries from year to year, so you can start to do your research now. If you haven't already, I suggest starting with the two stickies at the top of this forum.

The place to start is New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-g...t_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference]. The range among river cruise lines that market in the US is fairly small -- but there are differences from the bottom to the top, and the prices don't vary as much as it first appears because the more expensive lines include more things that cost extra on the "cheaper" lines.

For information on choosing a river, read the sticky River Cruise Basics articles on Cruise Critic at the top of this forum.

I also recommend the book Berlitz River Cruising in Europe by Douglas Ward, which may be found at your public library.

Thank you into_3 and many thanks to Host Jazzbeau.

Host Jazzbeau, as much as we have cruised we have not yet done a River Cruise. We are looking at one for 2017 in between two other cruises we would like to take. Thank you so much for the link and to the additional suggestions.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith - I know your posts well from the Crystal board. As has been mentioned, most cruise lines repeat the same itineraries from year to year and many will add new ones in. Spend some time researching the different rivers and possibilities. If you haven't figured out, the river cruise ships hold significantly less passengers than ocean cruises and can book up quickly.

Once you have found a cruise line and itinerary that you like, ask your travel agent to contact the company to see how quickly they will take a deposit for your 2017 cruise. Most likely they will take a deposit at least 1-2 months before the itineraries are released. There are benefits for doing this: you are sure to get the cabin type that you like. I know that you and Anne Marie usually sail in a PS cabin on Crystal. Most river cruise cabins are smaller than these but most lines have a few larger suites - you may be interested in one of these and they can book quickly. By booking before the official itineraries are released, you may be given a rate that is less than what is actually released.

I have used this process for both of my river cruises with success. We also were able to take advantage of additional discounts once they were announced. The initial deposit was fully 100% refundable until the official itinerary was released. This way, if the exact dates we were looking at didn't work, we could get a full refund or transfer the deposit to any cruise that we wanted.

Also - make sure to read Host Jazzbeau's sticky notes for new cruisers. River cruising is a completely different animal than ocean cruising, but not as different from Crystal. Since you are used to a luxury product, you may want to look into Tauck, AMA Waterways, Scenic & Uniworld. You would probably not be the target audience for Viking.

Feel free to come back to this board and ask any questions that you have. I think you and Anne Marie will really enjoy river cruising. It provides a completely different way to explore and being able to dock in the heart of cities is very nice.

Kelly

Edited by YoungDubFan
addition

Kelly, thank you so very much for your post. It is good to know that I can get the TA started on this (once I know what we might want) before the itineraries are listed. Thank you for all of your other advice which I will followup on and I am sure I will be back to this board with lots of questions. It's nice to be a newbie.

Best to you.

Keith

Keith -- I would suggest Tauck for you. Closest to a Crystal experience.

Tauck is like Crystal in two ways: they are the most all-inclusive river cruise line, and since they have few ships you don't have too much choice on itineraries and dates. Another line to consider is AMA, which is closest to Crystal in having the best food among river cruise lines (per the Berlitz guide, several posters here, and my own experience).

It's nice to be a newbie. Keith

RIIIIGHT! A Newbie with almost 67,000 Posts! ;)

I have the Berlitz River Cruising in Europe by Douglas Ward (2015) and it is really helpful, with photos and text about all the rivers, as well as the river cruise lines and all their ships. ;)

After my Symphony British Isles cruise last August, I am also jumping ship in November for the Christmas Markets on the Viking Var on the Rhine.

See you on the river, Keith & Anne Marie. My Daughter is Annmarie.

:D

Donna I.

Thanks, Donna.

A couple of years ago we sailed Cunard for the first time so I was a Newbie then having no knowledge of Cunard so it was fun for a change to ask all the questions Same with River cruising. It was nice to ask the questions instead of being one of the go-to people for answers for a change. LOL, but true.

For years I have read the Douglas Ward Books on Ocean Cruising starting with one of our first cruises back in the early 1990's and have gotten updates every few years. Until this thread, I had not realized that he also has a book on River Cruising until Host Jazzbeau and then you mentioned it. I have already ordered this book.

I am certain I will be back with lots of questions and appreciate all of the help I have already received.

Keith

Tauck is like Crystal in two ways: they are the most all-inclusive river cruise line, and since they have few ships you don't have too much choice on itineraries and dates. Another line to consider is AMA, which is closest to Crystal in having the best food among river cruise lines (per the Berlitz guide, several posters here, and my own experience).

Regent is more inclusive than Crystal as Regent includes shore excursions and there is never a charge for alternative dining, whereas there is on Crystal after you have visited once.

If butler service is important, Scenic offers this in all categories (in varying levels of service provided). I have not cruised with either Tauck or Scenic and will be on my first cruise with Uniworld in ten days. AMA is my current favorite as I appreciate the overall quality and attention to detail.

On the ocean, we are Oceania cruisers and AMA compares very well to what we experience on O.

Thanks, Donna. A couple of years ago we sailed Cunard for the first time so I was a Newbie then having no knowledge of Cunard so it was fun for a change to ask all the questions Same with River cruising. It was nice to ask the questions instead of being one of the go-to people for answers for a change. LOL, but true. For years I have read the Douglas Ward Books on Ocean Cruising starting with one of our first cruises back in the early 1990's and have gotten updates every few years. Until this thread, I had not realized that he also has a book on River Cruising until Host Jazzbeau and then you mentioned it. I have already ordered this book. I am certain I will be back with lots of questions and appreciate all of the help I have already received.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. You are always so helpful on so many threads. :D

I do believe that this is the very first year for this book so that is why we have not seen it before. Also, he includes lots of photos and descriptions of the Castles. I just love the castles. ;)

Donna

• 2 weeks later...