Question about the Anthem out of Cape Liberty

mation101

My wife and I are taking the Anthem out of Cape Liberty next year. We are coming in 3 days early. What airport should we use and where should we stay? we have never visited New York City and want to tour. If we stay in NYC how easy is it to get to the ship? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon & Tracey.

If you're staying in Manhattan prior to the cruise you could fly into any of the NYC airports...EWR, LGA, or JFK. You can pick flights based on cost and schedule. However you should choose EWR for your flight home as long as the cost and schedule suit you because that airport is much closer to Cape Liberty and transportation from Cape Liberty to EWR will cost much less than transportation to LGA or JFK.

There are a number of alternatives for transportation from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Easiest but costliest is to take a car service. Do not take a NY City taxi as the trip crosses state line, allowing the taxi driver to charge whatever he can squeeze out of the passenger. There are also mass transit options involving various trains with a taxi ride at the end, but it would difficult to make a sensible recommendation without having at least a general idea of where you're going to stay.

Cape Liberty is very much a DIY port where you must balance time, money, and stress. You need to figure out the costs of hotel and transportation before you make airline reservations. A less expensive flight might not be so cheap if your transportation, time, and stress costs are high.

NYC hotels are expensive and many folks choose to stay in NJ and take public transit into the city. What are your exact dates? 2 people? Hotel budget? Sightseeing objectives?

I am leaving on a 16 day cruise today and won't have much internet so please be patient for my responses.