Seeing Geringer and puffins

macaroni

If our ship does not stop in Geringer, is there another port stop that would allow us to get there? Also, I read a post of someone who went someplace to see birds, especially puffins...any idea on where I read about it. Thanks!

If our ship does not stop in Geringer, is there another port stop that would allow us to get there? Also, I read a post of someone who went someplace to see birds, especially puffins...any idea on where I read about it. Thanks!

We got to see thousands and thousands of puffins during our Norway cruise. It was, however, up near the North Cape. There also is the location near Alesund (Runde Island) that could be a potential for seeing puffin. Check out more on my live/blog below. Weather can also be a "roll of the dice" in attempt such efforts. We had good weather, but what is "potential" is not always certain, depending on your timing and luck.

We visited the small fishing village of Gjesvaer, about 22 miles NW of Honningsvaag. We had a rental car for the four of us and we traveled a route that was sunny, very dramatic and rising through this stark, but beautiful landscape. There are no trees to be seen this far north. We had packed a picnic lunch with us. We got there early, but our bird rock charter was doing a photo tour with a Polish photographer with 26” lens. He took about 1000 different pictures while on his trip out there.

Before boarding, I asked our Captain if we would see any puffins. His reaction? “You’ll see 2.6 million there. There will be so many, it will seem like they are mosquitoes.” That sounded like hype, but it was true . . . and more! These pictures give you only a small sampling of what all we saw. It was birds, birds, birds!!!

Tell us more on what cruise and when you are seeking to make these connections.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 184,087 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sailing from the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, this is the first of many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

Here is a picture that includes groups of puffins floating in the water.:

NorthCape14A3_zps3422bc08.jpg

Here, the puffin is looking left, allowing a different angle to see their unique beak.:

BirdRockPuffinLookLeft.jpg

So it must have been your review about the puffins. Now I remember...

Can we get to see Geringer from alesund?

Yes, the drive will take you 1,5-2 hrs each way.

Here are some of the stunning vistas en route.

2014-07-13114126_zpsd66490f5.jpg

eidsvatnet_sommar_zps68726839.jpgnorway3_zps275fdd34.jpg022_zps2f13d084.jpg

Are there any ferry rides involved in that trip from Alesund to Geringer or just land roads?

You can take 2 routes from Ålesund to Geiranger.

Both include 1 or 2 ferries. The ride ranging from 10 minutes crossing the fjord to over 1 hr (Hellesylt to Geiranger)

Ferries are very easy to take; drive onboard, someone comes and collect the fare, enjoy the trip, drive off.[emoji106]