Silver Spirit -- Turkey

Herman The Cat

The Spirit is spending a lot of time in Istanbul this summer. Some of the other cruise lines have cancelled all overnight stays in Turkey (Costa, Celebrity, Crystal etc). Anyone have any idea/inside track what Silversea will be doing? We've tried to get information numerous times, but all we get is the usual "we are monitoring the situation and when we make a change we will let all the TAs know." Fine, but we would be disembarking in Istanbul and would book our own airfare...and if they change, it's a problem. We recognize it's a huge undertaking for them to change a embarkation and disembarkation port, especially one that is on the itinerary virtually every week. And if they change and we cancel, standard cancellation fees will no doubt apply. Our final payment is due in a few weeks. We will probably cancel, as will the couple we are traveling with. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has heard anything. Thanks in advance for any intell.

I think because they had all those cruises that they are waiting. My guess from what I know is that some lines pulled out because they were getting a lot of cancellations and that turned out to be the driver. One line just cancelled the other day and another one about two weeks ago so hopefully they will decide something very soon. Otherwise some like yourselves might just cancel.

Keith

I had this in mind when I booked for a June sailing from Istanbul so opted for the Silversea air package.

Something I have never done before and probably will not again but that way any changes are their problem but the downside is that to a certain extent the flight arrangements are outside your control. I was able to get the flight I wanted out but a few hours later coming back from Athens unless I paid a hefty surcharge.

V5626 originally departing Istanbul Sep 9, 2016 has now been changed to departing Monte Carlo. I rather like the change. Following itinerary from Venice to Istanbul has NOT been changed. Hope they don't change that one.

June departures have today all been changed from Istanbul to Athens. The June 1-11 itinerary additionally now lists Mykonos on day 10.
Yes. The June Spirit cruise that I was considering that departed from Istanbul is now listed on the SS website as departing from Athens.

Hope that Mark Conroy will improve Silversea's communication. Passengers should be learning about these changes via email rather than reading about it on Cruise Critic. Communication is one of Mark's strong points and we hope that he will be allowed to open Silversea's often "silent mouth" and keep everyone on top of what is going on.

Yes. The June Spirit cruise that I was considering that departed from Istanbul is now listed on the SS website as departing from Athens.
I have friends that are booked on the June Istanbul to Athens cruise that is now Athens to Athens, and they have not yet been notified by Silversea or their TA of the change.

I am on the 11th June Spirit sailing and my TA had a call late last night and I had an email from him this morning. He is awaiting details from SS as I took the precaution of taking their travel package as I expected this to happen so changing hotels and flights is down to them. Thank goodness I broke my habit of making my own arrangements.

@eastwoodboy - very prescient of you.

Such a shame - I've sailed in to Istanbul from both the Dardanelles and the bosphorus with SB and it is such a stunning city to entire by sea. Let's hope that stability soon returns to the region.