Cost to take grandchild with us??

soobs

Hello

We usually do the pre-Xmas Caribbean cruise, we prefer the Azura to the Britannia what extra can I expect to pay for my grandson who is 9? we book last minute as can only guarantee carers for my parents 8 weeks before so we are saver fare bookers.

With 3 of us in a cabin what should I expect to pay for him? I rang one of the TA's who said no cabins available surly it's just converting he settee or using one of the pull down things from the ceiling?

Anyone had experience of this as don't want ot mention if it's not going to be a possibility.

Hello

We usually do the pre-Xmas Caribbean cruise, we prefer the Azura to the Britannia what extra can I expect to pay for my grandson who is 9? we book last minute as can only guarantee carers for my parents 8 weeks before so we are saver fare bookers.

With 3 of us in a cabin what should I expect to pay for him? I rang one of the TA's who said no cabins available surly it's just converting he settee or using one of the pull down things from the ceiling?

Anyone had experience of this as don't want ot mention if it's not going to be a possibility.

The problem with being on a saver fare and wanting a cabin for 3 is that not all cabins can accommodate 3 people, so you could not be slotted in anywhere ,as 2 people on a saver fare could be.

I have heard I think though of it happening though, so don't go through a TA, ring Pando direct. Ask them how it works.

Not all cabins have beds that come down from the ceiling, out of the wall, or a settee that converts.

Prices for an additional person vary from cruise to cruise. It is likely to be higher during school holidays.

Cabins that can accommodate three or four persons are shown on the deck plans.

http://www.pocruises.com/global/deckplans/azura/azura_deckplans_2016-17.pdf

As you can see there are not that many. If a TA is saying there are none available then maybe they are all booked. However, I would check with another TA or P&O direct to confirm.

Brian

Although not for a couple of years, we booked our young grandson in with his parents on Britannia during school term time and the cost was exactly 40% of his parents.

Ive just done a quick check on our invoice and we are paying 84% of our adult fare for our 8 year grandson.

Before everyone jumps on me, I'm not moaning, we're just pleased we can give him the experience and to be honest when we checked the price out to take him to Butlins Bognor Regis for the same week it wasn't much more to take him on Ventura and I know where I'd rather be.

Thank you all

glynandkath - you didn't come across as moaning just honest and that's what I asked for and thank you that's what I am hoping for, as originally said I cannot book until nearer the sail date and I know they often give out upgrades around there so if I am in luck a 3 bed cabin will become available.

He doesn't know about it so if it doesn't come off he will be none the wiser, if it does I will have that dreaded subject of school fine for taking him out of school to contend with but it is a one off.

Not got round to ringing P & O yet but will update when i so

Thank you all

glynandkath - you didn't come across as moaning just honest and that's what I asked for and thank you that's what I am hoping for, as originally said I cannot book until nearer the sail date and I know they often give out upgrades around there so if I am in luck a 3 bed cabin will become available.

He doesn't know about it so if it doesn't come off he will be none the wiser, if it does I will have that dreaded subject of school fine for taking him out of school to contend with but it is a one off.

Not got round to ringing P & O yet but will update when i so

Hopefully you will get a better deal with P & O outside the School Holidays . We took our other Grandson on RCI a few years ago and it was only about 30% of our adult fare.

Typically, a grandchild will be "third person share" cruise lines often charge this at base cabin rate not the relevant cabin type you book, though this will vary on different lines and different cruises, Where a flight or flights are involved the price reduction is not as good. Some lines, particularly US require parental permission for minors to sail when not travelling with both or either parents.

Limitations on booking relate to whether a cabin is available that can accommodate three passengers, many can take four but they just under fill those where available and also flights from the airport of your preferred choice not being available.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The cabin availability may not be the problem. The children's places have a limit on numbers. Each age group in the childrens club has a number of places available, once they are full they cannot take any more children.

If you do an online booking, once you have put the details of the party in and proceed to the next section, the screen may go back to passenger details and for a few seconds near the top it may something along the lines of "no child 6-9" meaning no more child places left in that age group. I can't remember exactly the wording.

You could also try to book a cabin for 3 adults. This will tell you if they have any cabins big enough available.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Typically, a grandchild will be "third person share" cruise lines often charge this at base cabin rate not the relevant cabin type you book, though this will vary on different lines and different cruises, Where a flight or flights are involved the price reduction is not as good. Some lines, particularly US require parental permission for minors to sail when not travelling with both or either parents.

Limitations on booking relate to whether a cabin is available that can accommodate three passengers, many can take four but they just under fill those where available and also flights from the airport of your preferred choice not being available.

Regards John

As you quite rightly say John, American lines require permissions from parents to take minors such as grandchildren on cruises . We complied with RCI's policy when taking our eldest grandson with us a few years ago . It involved getting a notarised letter from our Daughter to give her permission and it cost £84 notary fee. However, not once were we requested to produce the letter, not even at ships checkin . After many heated emails and finally a registered letter to the General Manager Europe pointing out that I had a duty to comply with their regulation and RCI had a duty to ensure compliance, they refunded me the £84 for the notarised letter that they didn't bother to look at.

Thankfully that's not a P&O requirement

As you quite rightly say John, American lines require permissions from parents to take minors such as grandchildren on cruises . We complied with RCI's policy when taking our eldest grandson with us a few years ago . It involved getting a notarised letter from our Daughter to give her permission and it cost £84 notary fee. However, not once were we requested to produce the letter, not even at ships checkin . After many heated emails and finally a registered letter to the General Manager Europe pointing out that I had a duty to comply with their regulation and RCI had a duty to ensure compliance, they refunded me the £84 for the notarised letter that they didn't bother to look at.

Thankfully that's not a P&O requirement

Next time I am thinking - Go into a Solicitors lunchtime with £5.00 and ask them to sign a document you have prepared. Assuming all relevant parties are with you you should end up with a decent document just in case they ask for one. Most Solicitors do a sign a document and stamp it and keep a photocopy for their records in the manner I have described and charge a £5.00.

Regards John

Next time I am thinking - Go into a Solicitors lunchtime with £5.00 and ask them to sign a document you have prepared. Assuming all relevant parties are with you you should end up with a decent document just in case they ask for one. Most Solicitors do a sign a document and stamp it and keep a photocopy for their records in the manner I have described and charge a £5.00.

Regards John

I certainly will do that John. The instruction given were very specific and said motorised so I complied, it will be a£5 solicitors letter next time. Or just book P and O where there is no such requirement.

The £5 document will be meaningless. That is the fee to swear a document such as an affidavit.

Sounds like to me that the birth certificate and I.d of the parent have to be verified and that would be the job for a notary, especially if the document could be needed outside of the U.K.

I am sure you could well catch a junior solicitor out by trying to get them to swear such a document but an experienced solicitor is unlikely to do it and will direct you to a notary.

The issue is that though the ship may not ask for the document you may need it in a country you visit, especially in an emergency situation. Overseas a properly notarised document should be accepted without comment. It would be false economy not to have one.

Glyn and Kath - I think you were very lucky to get your fee refunded. Just because as it happened you didn't need the document the point is you might have done - in a way just like an insurance policy.

In fact I would go further and say that if you are taking a child abroad with you who is not your own you should also have a consent form to make medical decisions as well.

I am pretty certain if download a cruise lines document or get an appropriate generic document regarding cruising without the parent/s and turn up with the parents and the parents identity documents at a solicitors they will sign and agree you are willing to let the named parties travel with the child/ren as stated by the parents. The named people will need ID too. This is as good as you can get it for £5.00.

I got an actual notary for a two lines cruise and was not asked for either document and I paid roughly £80 a document as I recall in 2010. This was for my own daughter without her mother. Most times they do not ask you at check in and in this event it is best not to raise the issue in my opinion.

Regards John

I am pretty certain if download a cruise lines document or get an appropriate generic document regarding cruising without the parent/s and turn up with the parents and the parents identity documents at a solicitors they will sign and agree you are willing to let the named parties travel with the child/ren as stated by the parents. The named people will need ID too. This is as good as you can get it for £5.00.

I got an actual notary for a two lines cruise and was not asked for either document and I paid roughly £80 a document as I recall in 2010. This was for my own daughter without her mother. Most times they do not ask you at check in and in this event it is best not to raise the issue in my opinion.

Regards John

John I am a solicitor and know what I am talking about here. The problem is not the cruise line if you are sailing from the UK. It is the overseas country and a country you may end up in if there is an emergency. As I say it's like insurance and not worth the risk