Questions, questions, questions 😊

gamecockinnc

Hi,

We are cruising on the December 3rd Fantasy.

1. I haven't made hotel reservations because we didn't know if we would all be driving or flying until until this morning. Obviously many if not most hotels are full. We don't need hotel parking but any suggestions or areas around Port Canaveral? We will be driving down from the Carolinas.

2. Port parking at Port Canaveral. My mother uses an electric wheel chair. Is there any risk of the parking lot filling up? Silly question maybe but we usually fly in and or sail out of FLL or MIA.

3. Port arrival time especially parking at the port dealing with the extra time with my mothers wheelchair etc.

4. Embarkation time? We are Siver Castaway Cay (almost gold ) members.

5. Which night on my sailing will be Pirate night? (I bought our youngest a pirate costume).

6. How many nights are formal nights now days on DCL and which nights are they on my sailing?

7. Are the other nights still cruise casual?

8. Our son turns 6 during the week of the cruise. Same routine of going to guest services and or the dining staff and requesting a cake and I assume paying for the cake?

I think that is it for now. Sorry to ask so many questions and at the last minute. We have taken a break from Disney. As you can see below we have been cruising but we had a late in life gift who is 5 so we starting Disney cruises again. Our older boys who our now 18 and 15 always loved DCL cruises loved their cruises so we are thrilled to be back and to experience the new ships.

Any other advice to how things may have changed. I feel we have cruising down pat but each cruiseline has traditions and we haven't sailed DCL in awhile.

Thank you!

Edited by gamecockinnc

9. How can I find out which dock we will be docking at in St. Thomas? With my mother being in a electric wheelchair it would really help to plan.

10. 10. Wifi. PLEASE no hate. I was surprised that DCL hasn't updated their wifi packages like the other big Cruiselines have done. Again no hate. DCL is my favorite cruiseline in customer service, food, accommodations, private island etc. but again I was surprised. We did back to back cruises this summer on CCL and their social package for 14 days at sea really helps. Their social package is $5.00 a day and you have unlimited Facebook, Facebook messenger, Instagram, snapchat. There are 2 other packages where you can access internet and stream videos. Before the hate. I do understand the need to put down the devices and disconnect and then connect with the family. But if your entire family isn't sailing and you need to keep in touch $5.00 a day using Facebook messenger is a god send. So what are my options? I did read over it but reading over the number of gbs confuses me. I admit I just don't know how to judge it.

Hi,

We are cruising on the December 3rd Fantasy.

1. I haven't made hotel reservations because we didn't know if we would all be driving or flying until until this morning. Obviously many if not most hotels are full. We don't need hotel parking but any suggestions or areas around Port Canaveral? We will be driving down from the Carolinas.

2. Port parking at Port Canaveral. My mother uses an electric wheel chair. Is there any risk of the parking lot filling up? Silly question maybe but we usually fly in and or sail out of FLL or MIA. The parking lot is usually pretty easy to find a spot in. As long as you are not picky about where. There's a lot closer to the building and a parking structure just across the access road. There's a flyover on the 3 floor of the parking structure directly into the check in lobby.

3. Port arrival time especially parking at the port dealing with the extra time with my mothers wheelchair etc.Not sure what you're asking here, but, if you want to know what Port Arrival Time you should select - just pick one that works for your planned arrival time.

4. Embarkation time? We are Siver Castaway Cay (almost gold ����) members.Boarding begins around 11:30 with Concierge guests, followed by Platinum Castaway Club members. Then boarding number are called. You get your boarding number when you check in at the port. Your boarding number is tied to your PAT. You'll get the same boarding number whether you check in earlier or later than your PAT.

5. Which night on my sailing will be Pirate night? (I bought our youngest a pirate costume)."Typically, Pirate night is night 5, sometimes night 4. You find out which yours is by checking under the "My Cruise Activities" calendar on the DCL website.

6. How many nights are formal nights now days on DCL and which nights are they on my sailing? On a 7 night cruise, typically, night 2 is formal night with night 6 being semi-formal.

7. Are the other nights still cruise casual?Yes, although you can dress cruise casual any night, as the dress suggestion is just that - a suggestion.

8. Our son turns 6 during the week of the cruise. Same routine of going to guest services and or the dining staff and requesting a cake and I assume paying for the cake? You can pre-purchase a cake under the "In Room Gifts" tab on the DCL website. Or you can order one onboard. That cake will have a cost. Or you can just go with the small chocolate mousse/cake provided for the birthday person that your servers can present (no cost for that one).

I think that is it for now. Sorry to ask so many questions and at the last minute. We have taken a break from Disney. As you can see below we have been cruising but we had a late in life gift who is 5 so we starting Disney cruises again. Our older boys who our now 18 and 15 always loved DCL cruises loved their cruises so we are thrilled to be back and to experience the new ships.

Any other advice to how things may have changed. I feel we have cruising down pat but each cruiseline has traditions and we haven't sailed DCL in awhile.

Thank you!

9. How can I find out which dock we will be docking at in St. Thomas? With my mother being in a electric wheelchair it would really help to plan.As far as I know, DCL usually docks at Havensight Pier. But, really, whatever pier it's at the debarkation would similar.

10. 10. Wifi. PLEASE no hate. I was surprised that DCL hasn't updated their wifi packages like the other big Cruiselines have done. Again no hate. DCL is my favorite cruiseline in customer service, food, accommodations, private island etc. but again I was surprised. We did back to back cruises this summer on CCL and their social package for 14 days at sea really helps. Their social package is $5.00 a day and you have unlimited Facebook, Facebook messenger, Instagram, snapchat. There are 2 other packages where you can access internet and stream videos. Before the hate. I do understand the need to put down the devices and disconnect and then connect with the family. But if your entire family isn't sailing and you need to keep in touch $5.00 a day using Facebook messenger is a god send. So what are my options? I did read over it but reading over the number of gbs confuses me. I admit I just don't know how to judge it.Sorry, really can't help with this one. But there is (usually) a free 50MB package available, if you sign up by midnight the day of embarkation. That's usually enough for us (2 of us, checking emails about 3X in a week each and a little browsing). There are also wavephones (intership phones) available to contact others in your group. Or you can use your own phone, but I don't know how that works.

My responses in red.

Thank you so very much.

May I bother you with another question?

As I said we haven't sailed out of Canavaral in awhile.

Well I checked and using retired military discounts I can get a good rate at the Radisson (which I didn't think I would ever stay at again) with the parking......would you go with the parking at the Radisson or Port?

Thank you so very much.

May I bother you with another question?

As I said we haven't sailed out of Canavaral in awhile.

Well I checked and using retired military discounts I can get a good rate at the Radisson (which I didn't think I would ever stay at again) with the parking......would you go with the parking at the Radisson or Port?

Well, we've never stayed at a hotel at the port. Or parked in the parking structure. So I've never researched the costs or convenience of either.

Edited by Shmoo here

When we have flown down we stay at the Hilton Homewood suites by the airport. The government rate for the large 3 room suit is really good. Then is is a quick run to the port on the same route as the DCL buses. So if something happens they would be stuck in the same traffic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We've parked at the Radisson and at the port. Parking at the port is more convenient, but also more costly. Really your call. The bus thingy used by the Radisson does not have a lift (or at least the one we rode in didn't.)

Parking at the port--you'll have an HA tag, right? THere should be plenty of HA spots available. Also, if you have any modifications to your vehicle (not just a hang tag), you can park at the port FREE. This would include things like a built on device to haul a scooter or electric chair, a ramp for boarding the vehicle, etc. Basically anything that had to be customized to allow the wheelchair will count.

Edited by moki'smommy

Free parking for accessible vehicles? My parents SUV uses a ramp for my mothers electric wheelchair. She had a catastrophic stroke 15 years ago and lost use of her hand, arm and leg. She can drag her leg for very very short distances. But she is amazing and worked so hard to come back to us. I am so proud of her.

Would you happen to know who we speak to about the free parking?

Last week I went ahead and booked the Radisson. At this late date everything was full and even though we won't be using the park and cruise its familiar.

Thank you for all of your responses!!!

Free parking for accessible vehicles? My parents SUV uses a ramp for my mothers electric wheelchair. She had a catastrophic stroke 15 years ago and lost use of her hand, arm and leg. She can drag her leg for very very short distances. But she is amazing and worked so hard to come back to us. I am so proud of her.

Would you happen to know who we speak to about the free parking?

Last week I went ahead and booked the Radisson. At this late date everything was full and even though we won't be using the park and cruise its familiar.

Thank you for all of your responses!!!

From the Port Canaveral website

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

DISABLED PARKING spaces are available and the fee is waived for vehicles transporting

certain persons who have disabilities that:

Have special equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls for use by a disabled person;

Display a Florida Toll Exemption Permit as explained in s. 316.1964, Florida Statutes; and

Display a Disabled Veteran (DV) license plate issued under s. 320.084; s. 320.0842; or s. 320.0845, Florida Statutes.

Parking agents will not grant parking waivers for any other reason than the ones listed above.

Edited by belle907

The parking attendant at the garage can waive the fee. Belle listed the requirements above. While the wording says "and," in actuality it is enforced as "or." You need specialized equipment OR disabled veteran plates, etc. The statute applies to any disabled person with a specialized vehicle, not just vets or those with FL plates.

It won't hurt you to print out a copy of the rules "just in case."

Edited by moki'smommy

parking at the port is the most convenient - especially if you're dealing with a wheelchair..

do you have a disabled tag? there are disabled parking spaces...

i always try to get the ones on the third floor by the bridge, but of course, those are the first to fill up...

i've never done it with a wheelchair, so i can't remember how wheelchair friendly any of the approaches are - but i would think that 3rd floor parking structure bridge might be your best bet

editing - i just noticed the later posts about the ramp/etc.....so yes, if i were you, i would most definitely park at the port...

Edited by alaska_planner

Just to be completely clear...if you have just the HA hang tag or plates, you pay for parking. The parking is free only if you have an altered vehicle, Disabled Veteran plates, or the FL exempt HA designation. Yes, there are HA places and the access to the terminal entrance is good.