New 3-day on Fantasy

knawest8

Has anyone booked the 3-day double dip at Castaway Cay, on May 17, 2017? I have a three day hold and wondering if it's a good deal or not. We haven't been on a Disney cruise in many years. TIA!

It's my understanding it's a pretty good deal, but it's booking fast. If you want on, you better hop on quick.

It's an added cruise. The Fantasy is supposedly going to be in dry dock just prior to that, and it seems they think the dry dock will be done by the 17th. They added a little 3 night cruise to get her back into her standard Sat/Sat schedule.

BE AWARE that this cruise is straight after the Fantasy's drydock, and if there are any over-runs in the dry dock, you may still see contractors finishing any work still needing attention.

An article about this sailing:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2016/11/dcl-quietly-adds-3-night-castaway-cay-double-dip-aboard-disney-fantasy-2017/#comments

ex techie

The concept of a "good deal" is always in the eye of the beholder. 2 stops at Castaway would have some people drooling, but if you're not a beach person maybe not.

The biggest negative to a 3 night cruise is that the transportation costs are essentially the same whether the cruise is 3 nights or 33 nights. If you live near the port, that may not be an issue and parking is not a huge deal for 3 nights. On the other hand, if I have to get on a plane and get from MCO to the cruise terminal, I'd like more than 3 nights.

Good points! I love the beach and I live in Orlando, so i'm thinking it's worth the booking :) I just noticed there were some other three days that were a bit less. I didn't think about the dry dock aspect though. I would hope any continuing work would not be guest-facing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't think about the dry dock aspect though. I would hope any continuing work would not be guest-facing.

It can happen. Even with the best planning, sometimes things do not go to plan or unforeseen problems arise. There have been issues in the past with the work the contractors have done that have resulted in larger problems being created.

ex techie

So you have no transportation issues--that's a positive. And those other 3 night cruises include a stop in Nassau (blah) rather than 2 stops at Castaway. If there are big dry dock issues, DCL will cancel the cruise, refund your money, and typically offer a discount on a future booking. But if there are small issues not completed....yeah, they can interfere with guest spaces. DCL will try to minimize it, but they plan a lot during dry docks. Obviously there is the mandatory engine stuff, hull inspection, etc. But unlike some other lines, DCL does a major "spiffing up" of the inside--things like changing carpets, recovering seats in the theaters, etc. And if there are any big changes planned for the ship, those will happen too....like will they add Vanillopes??? Plans are unknown at this point.

With taxes and everything it's $225/pp per day, for a Deluxe Family Oceanview (8C). That's certainly not a steal. I usually look for $100-150pp as a great deal. However, there seems to be a "magic tax" to sail Disney lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if i lived in florida, i'd do it in a heartbeat -dry dock or no dry dock..

two chances to get into CC...

3 days on the fantasy - which i haven't sailed yet..

a cruise to anywhere any time works for me :)

Same with me. This would be my ideal cruise if I didn't have to fly across the U.S. to get there. I'm sure everyone on board will have an absolute blast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Same with me. This would be my ideal cruise if I didn't have to fly across the U.S. to get there. I'm sure everyone on board will have an absolute blast.

We fly xcountry too, but two times on castaway has me checking my schedule. :)

It's either an amazing fast trip or you add on to make the flights worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Do you know if there's a FE for this cruise? My munchkin and I are looking to join one. Thanks in advance. :)

My best suggestion is to find a meet thread for this cruise, either here on Cruise Critic or more likely on another Disney bulletin board that can't be mentioned here. There are also sometimes meet threads on certain social media outlets. A Google search might prove to be fruitful.

• 3 weeks later...