Is It Possible To Upgrade Air

Mylisa

It's been my experience that comfort+ is priced separately for each leg of the trip. I've paid as little as $29 and as much as $99. Sometimes when you add all the comfort+ add-ons, the charge for luggage and throw in a priority boarding, you might as well buy a first class ticket for not much more.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update FYI regarding the airplane seat situation.

I can now see the seats that have been assigned to us on the Delta website. However I'm not able to manipulate the seats yet. I called Delta and they said that they cannot allow me to purchase a comfort plus seat until the seats are actually ticketed by Delta.

I have since emailed Silverseas twice to ask them to please ticket the seats or at least let me know when they will be ticketing the seats.

I have not had any response back from them not even a response saying they received my email. I have even used two different email addresses for them to make sure that I hadn't emailed the wrong department.

I will post the resolution as soon as I know more.

Just a quick update FYI regarding the airplane seat situation.

I can now see the seats that have been assigned to us on the Delta website. However I'm not able to manipulate the seats yet. I called Delta and they said that they cannot allow me to purchase a comfort plus seat until the seats are actually ticketed by Delta.

Thanks for the followup.

This should serve as reminder info to folks -- even though you may see a seat assignment, that does NOT mean that you are ticketed. Like the locator, this is merely part of a "reservation". Once you get that 13 digit number (and with DL it starts with 006), THEN you have a ticket.

Good luck getting a response from SS.

Thanks for the followup.

This should serve as reminder info to folks -- even though you may see a seat assignment, that does NOT mean that you are ticketed. Like the locator, this is merely part of a "reservation". Once you get that 13 digit number (and with DL it starts with 006), THEN you have a ticket.

Good luck getting a response from SS.

Exactly.

Further update. I have emailed SS twice and have never received a response. However, my TA was able to get one.

SS said that they issue the tickets 60 days out. However, we can pay an extra $100 each and have the tickets issued earlier.

I'll just keep an eye on the seats I want and hopefully they'll still be available when they issue the tickets.

Thanks to all who responded.

Mylisa,

Request your TA ask SS to issue the tickets now and waive the charge.

Jeff

Jeff, I emailed the TA as you suggested and what a ya know, the tickets were released. Maybe they just got tired of getting emails from my TA and me!

I was able to purchase the Comfort Plus seats for the additional fee.

Problem resolved.

Jeff, I emailed the TA as you suggested and what a ya know, the tickets were released. Maybe they just got tired of getting emails from my TA and me!

I was able to purchase the Comfort Plus seats for the additional fee.

Problem resolved.

That's a great outcome. Happy to help. Sometimes you only need ask (demand) and you get.

It was highly improbable that there was any additional cost to SSD of issuing the tickets as they have an allocation agreed and priced. The demand for a $100 additional fee was simply imho outrageously opportunisitc and needed to be confronted.

Mylisa, you will now be enthroned in Comfort Plus seats and be able to look down on all those other plebs who never showed the gumption you did. :D

Have a great trip.

Jeff

:)

That's a great outcome. Happy to help. Sometimes you only need ask (demand) and you get.

It was highly improbable that there was any additional cost to SSD of issuing the tickets as they have an allocation agreed and priced. The demand for a $100 additional fee was simply imho outrageously opportunisitc and needed to be confronted.

Mylisa, you will now be enthroned in Comfort Plus seats and be able to look down on all those other plebs who never showed the gumption you did. :D

Have a great trip.

Jeff

:)

I feel so empowered now.

I tend to be a rule follower so it's nice to be reminded that sometimes it's ok to push the envelope.

I feel so empowered now.

I tend to be a rule follower so it's nice to be reminded that sometimes it's ok to push the envelope.

No envelope was pushed. They "tried it on", you called them out.

The terrible thing is that with the way some of their loading rates are going the $200 may have been the only potential profit they would make.

Always ask. "The squeeky wheel gets the oil".

:D

Jeff

• 1 month later...

We just booked a cruise on the Wind for early March and SS economy air on United. Got a record locator, flight number, seats etc on My Silversea and called United to see if I could upgrade to business with miles.

United said upgrades were available, but the ticket needed to be issued first. Went to my travel agent on Thursday, who contacted SS, who said we needed to pay the $100 fee to issue the tickets early. I authorized it, but the tickets were issued the next day with no fee (travel agent let me know the tickets were issued -it wasn't apparent from My Silversea). I then called United and eventually was able to upgrade the seats (took about 35 minutes on the phone because per United the tickets were "so restricted" the upgrade had to be "done manually"). Got an email confirming the upgrade last night - hopefully we won't have a problem at the airport.

We just booked a cruise on the Wind for early March and SS economy air on United. Got a record locator, flight number, seats etc on My Silversea and called United to see if I could upgrade to business with miles.

United said upgrades were available, but the ticket needed to be issued first. Went to my travel agent on Thursday, who contacted SS, who said we needed to pay the $100 fee to issue the tickets early. I authorized it, but the tickets were issued the next day with no fee (travel agent let me know the tickets were issued -it wasn't apparent from My Silversea). I then called United and eventually was able to upgrade the seats (took about 35 minutes on the phone because per United the tickets were "so restricted" the upgrade had to be "done manually"). Got an email confirming the upgrade last night - hopefully we won't have a problem at the airport.

Good for you. But just like me you should have asked for the $100 fee to be waived. It looks like they ask for it but if you request it be waived they do it. If they can get it they're happy if not no big deal. We were on the Wind a few years back and had a wonderful time.