Newyear's eve at sea

jongbj

Hi,

We'll be on the Silver Whisper during the next holiday season. We were wondering what to expect on Newyear's eve. What I know so far (from searching):

- It is a formal night

- I've read that there may be a deck party on the pool deck with balloons in the pool.

Anything else we may expect, e.g. special show, get-togethers etc.?

Thanks

Boudewijn

We have spent the last ten years plus on one of the SS ships over the holidays,and will be doing this again..on the Shadiw this year. ( Singapore RT including Burma) It has always been rather more than usually dressed up..especially on Christmas and New Years evenings. On New Years Eve, if the weather is good, and the seas are manageable, there could be a party around the pool. That is such fun..everyone (almost everyone) is in formal dress, the music is lively, most people are dancing, the drinks flow..it is really a natural happy celebration. I hope things will work this way for you. We have big trouble with forced gaiety which is why we love these on deck celebrations.

Pashmina,

Jumping on the NYE idea.

How about Christmas. Is the "big" meal dinner (evening?) will we be able to get seafood at lunch time or will I need to do a special order?

Aussie tradition sees us having a big seafood meal at lunch usually a mud crab, etc. (then sleeping it off in the heat). It will be hot so we would notice the absence of seafood

Kids have said, it won't be Christmas with seafood at lunch (funny enough for my parents it has to be roast chicken and pork... Turkeys/beef weren't done here)

We were on the Silver Cloud at Xmas and New Years a couple years ago and it was very festive. Formal night, music, dancing, champagne, etc. The food, which had been very good the whole trip, was even better than usual on New Years Eve. The service, which had been so-so ( at least for us non-insider, non-elites) was unfortunately worse. But we were not in a hurry, and overall, it was a pleasant and elegant experience except for the horn-tooting.

Not sure about getting fish on Xmas, however, but I bet the chef could oblige as that is a relatively easy request to fill.

Many moons ago, we were aboard for a NYE cruise on the Shadow. I remember how there was a raffle drawing for a free SS cruise for two. (No, we didn't win). It was the big "high point" right before midnight. Haven't done NYE since - am I correct to assume that's long gone by the wayside?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello -

We were on the Cloud last Christmas / NYE and will be on the Wind this year for both... here's how ours worked:

Christmas Eve - Formal, MDR, very extravagant menu

Christmas Day - Extended Brunch buffet that shifted from breakfast to more lunch items as things shifted from morning to afternoon. Cooking stations throughout, ice sculptures, tins of caviar. Fairly mellow dinner after the Christmas Eve and buffet.

NYE - Formal MDR - most smaller groups were placed with a few officers to make more large groups and to manage the flow. Another extravagant menu. Our deck party was shifted to the Theatre due to sketchy weather and it still was a lot of fun.

NY Day - Same as Christmas - another fun brunch and a fairly mellow dinner.

Hope this helps - we had a great time and love to play dress up so yes, the tuxedo and gown were out :)

Thank you Beckaboo, that is very helpful information.

I was wondering though about one thing you mention:

Hello -

NYE - Formal MDR - most smaller groups were placed with a few officers to make more large groups and to manage the flow.

Did you notice whether this was mandatory or did they still have tables for two. I would hate to be forced choose between room-service or strangers at our table, both things we don't like.

Can't find an edit button, so some nuance to my post above:

It's not that we do not like to talk to people, but we have had a few bad experiences with sharing tables. Therefore we prefer to eat by ourselves, especially on a special night like NYE

It's not that we do not like to talk to people, but we have had a few bad experiences with sharing tables. Therefore we prefer to eat by ourselves, especially on a special night like NYE
In my single days, I had a few bad experiences with some women that I dated. Didn't stop me from continuing to go out and eventually finding Mrs FT, who has made it all worthwhile.

Sorry I won't be able to dine with you, nor will many other wonderful people. Too bad, because they aren't all (or even many) bad experiences.

Thanks all, last question (until the next one comes up): would there be fireworks? On YouTube we saw some large ships having fireworks at midnight. Could be awesome, fireworks while all alone in the middle of the Caribbean sea, nothing but our ship and the stars.........