Queen's Grill as a Solo ?

Winchester Ranger

I solo'd in a regular Brittania balcony cabin and quite honestly I loved it, but there are some very attractive prices for QG during the winter crossings that I am tempted to spring for.

All the usual arguments about QG vs. PG. vs Brittania aside I was wondering if anyone has solo'd in a QG suite, I suppose it's the dining arrangements that make me think twice - it seems quite cramped in there and more configured for couples than solo groups, although those 2 seater tables seem to be practically touching each other.

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm just musing on it.

I sail solo, usually in PG, but was once upgraded to QG. The dining arrangements are what you want them to be depending on which table size you select. In PG if I selected "eight" I was generally at a table for seven and if "six" was selected there were five of us seated. Singles are mixed in with couples at the larger tables. And as in BC, you will be seated at the same table for all meals and not just dinner.

The refit changed the configurations to allow more tables for two as they are in high demand, but there are 4s and 6s.

I've never considered the Grills restaurants in QM2 "cramped". Deck 7 is higher and if anything was "cramped" it was BC as that's way in the aft and lower end of the main Britannia restaurant.

In the end it depends on what kind of dining experience you want. Some time ago a first timer said that he was afraid of being upgraded to the Grills as he wanted the grand ocean liner experience and not be "stuck" in a "small restaurant". (To each his/her own but being "stuck" in a Grills restaurant gratis is a problem many passengers would love to have!)

If you are getting a good QG price why not give it a try? You can always go back to Britannia if you find that better suits you.

Edited by BlueRiband

About ten years ago I did a short solo QE2 cruise in the Queens Grill.

It was lovely, as they put most singles on large tables. One thing to bear in mind is that you need to agree a time to start dinner. The first night I arrived when most were already eating their desert. So we agreed on a time somewhere in the middle.

For food and service it's definitely worth it

I solo'd in a regular Brittania balcony cabin and quite honestly I loved it, but there are some very attractive prices for QG during the winter crossings that I am tempted to spring for.

All the usual arguments about QG vs. PG. vs Brittania aside I was wondering if anyone has solo'd in a QG suite, I suppose it's the dining arrangements that make me think twice - it seems quite cramped in there and more configured for couples than solo groups, although those 2 seater tables seem to be practically touching each other.

Solo in QG on a TA is fine for me. Last time I too picked a table for 8 - I would not consider it cramped - it all worked fine with four singles and two couples. Two of the singles were doing the full World Cruise and I guess they had a variety of table guests over the 3 months. One soon develops a camaraderie and in fact we started to order off menu as a group which was highly entertaining and great food. If the price is that good go for it.

If you haven't seen it already this link leads to the best overview l have seen of the current layout in the QG restaurant. Spool forward to about 13 minutes for the QG portion.

As shown, there are plenty of larger tables if you want to avoid being on your own at a table for two abutted by couples at adjacent tables. The regular Maître D' is approachable and helpful and he will be keen to make it work for you should any concerns arise.

A larger table in QG, just like everywhere else, can be a lot of fun.

M-AR

Ive sailed solo in the QG twice (QM2). Once in a Q6 and once in a Q1. While I felt the Q1 was excessive for a solo passenger, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dining isn't a problem. The restaurant is intimate (certainly not crowded though), but you can choose a large table if you want. I had a table of 8 each time. On my Jan crossing this year there was a mix of solo travellers and couples. They were very nice people and I enjoyed going to meals (took all means in there).

I'm looking forward to crossing again next July in PG.

You are right about the single tables being nearly stuck together. I have travelled (as a couple) and sat at couple tables. We always developed a great conversation with the table next to us. I really enjoyed the conversation and I didn't find it difficult at all if we arrived early or later and the other couple was at a different stage of dinner. My trip to Hawaii both times once on QM2 and once on QV was great in QG. I did see and speak to a whole table of singles. They had the best table. Cheerful conversations and lots of laughing. Not that I was dipping into their dinner conversation at all. :eek:

Go and have fun. And let us know how you do.

Ive sailed solo in the QG twice (QM2). Once in a Q6 and once in a Q1. While I felt the Q1 was excessive for a solo passenger, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You actually answered another question I have always wondered about - if anyone ever solo'd in a Q1. Hats off to you, that is amazing.

And thanks all for the input, great answers.

You actually answered another question I have always wondered about - if anyone ever solo'd in a Q1. Hats off to you, that is amazing.

You can read my trip report for the Q1 experience under the thread 'QM2 2 days in QG trip report (June 2014)'.

With the exception of one cruise, I've always sailed solo. I much prefer it - extra space, freedom, and no arguments :)

With the exception of one cruise, I've always sailed solo. I much prefer it - extra space, freedom, and no arguments :)

Even when I cruised with a partner I found that we would go off and do our own thing during the day, only meals were taken as a pair. Solo cruising is one of life's great pleasures - for me :)

Even when I cruised with a partner I found that we would go off and do our own thing during the day, only meals were taken as a pair. Solo cruising is one of life's great pleasures - for me :)

I'm sure your correct Winchester Ranger.

I'm a social beast at heart and meet many solo travellers of both gender. Of course there are those who prefer to stay in the shadows but that's their choice.

God forbid, if anything happened to my wife, I would have no issues getting back on the oceans.

Edited by Solent Richard

About ten years ago I did a short solo QE2 cruise in the Queens Grill.

I One thing to bear in mind is that you need to agree a time to start dinner. The first night I arrived when most were already eating their desert. So we agreed on a time somewhere in the middle.

You do not need to agree with your tablemates a time to start dinner. You can arrive any time during dining times. It's a bit pointless having a more flexible dinning time when you dine to fit in with others.

You do not need to agree with your tablemates a time to start dinner. You can arrive any time during dining times. It's a bit pointless having a more flexible dinning time when you dine to fit in with others.

Indeed. One lady and a couple at my table in Jan dined a little earlier than the rest of us, but tended to stay near the same length as everyone else. I found 7.30-8pm as a start for dinner worked best for me. In Britannia, I always pick late sitting, but starting so late isn't ideal (but better than 6pm).

It has been my observation that the large group tables seemed to be having a great time together. We would hear peels of laughter coming from the tables. It looked like a good time. We were invited to join the group for a drink. Fun people. I've seen singles at their own tables, too. It's pretty much what you want.

In late 2010 a woman had booked the Sundringham suite. She actually never showed for the cruise. We ended up getting offered her table in the Queens Grill. We offered a few $K to upgrade into that suite. Surprisingly, Cunard turned it down! I offered $3000 for the suite from our Q-6. Seems they were willing to let it go empty rather than accept the money. They easily had pax who would have taken our Q-6. Pennywise & pound foolish?