A number of questions.

Hi, having never been on s cruise we have decided to take the plung and are looking to go on a cruise October half term currently there are 2 options with Thomson, one on the Discovery called the Magic of Spain and the other on the spirit called Spanish Sunsets.

My first question is which it likely to have the calmer sea, I know there guarantee but a few opinions if possible.

I know the spirit is a much older ship but the cabin they are offering on the discovery makes it much more expensive. The discovery is a grand suite cabin and on the spirit it's a deluxe cabin, some I work with had been on the spirit and they told me to pay the extra for the discovery.

There well be 2 adults a 16 yo and a 20month old toddler so I'm not so sure we could all fit in the inside cabin plus that's the other option?

I know the drinks packages devide opinion on here as I have been reading some of the threads, but can someone tell me if we did not bother with it what drinks do you get ? I have Been told that all soft drinks, tea/coffee are free but you will have to pay for water to nothing is free if you don't have the drinks package.

Any help or info would be great.

Hi, having never been on s cruise we have decided to take the plung and are looking to go on a cruise October half term currently there are 2 options with Thomson, one on the Discovery called the Magic of Spain and the other on the spirit called Spanish Sunsets.

My first question is which it likely to have the calmer sea, I know there guarantee but a few opinions if possible.

I know the spirit is a much older ship but the cabin they are offering on the discovery makes it much more expensive. The discovery is a grand suite cabin and on the spirit it's a deluxe cabin, some I work with had been on the spirit and they told me to pay the extra for the discovery.

There well be 2 adults a 16 yo and a 20month old toddler so I'm not so sure we could all fit in the inside cabin plus that's the other option?

I know the drinks packages devide opinion on here as I have been reading some of the threads, but can someone tell me if we did not bother with it what drinks do you get ? I have Been told that all soft drinks, tea/coffee are free but you will have to pay for water to nothing is free if you don't have the drinks package.

As far as the ships are concerned I can't offer any advise as have only been in 1 Thomson Cruise in the past on Majesty and have a second booked in October on Spirit. As far as sea conditions are concerned there will be little or no difference, the Western Med in October is the same wherever.

soft drinks are not free, but tea and coffee and water are free in the lido and mdr (not bottled water) and fruit juice at breakfast, not been on discovery but lov ethe spirit, you would get a rollaway bed and cot, the deluxe are bigger cabins

I have Been told that all soft drinks, tea/coffee are free but you will have to pay for water to nothing is free if you don't have the drinks package.

I wish soft drinks were free; the cost of these can really add up as they are £1.10 for a glass or £1.90 for a can unless you have the drinks package and even then you only get glasses 'free' not cans (cans cost 95 pence with the drinks package). Fruit juices are included in the drinks package or cost £1.80 each without.

As has already been said, Coffee and Tea are available free of charge with Breakfast and Dinner in the main dining room and all day from a machine in the Buffet restaurant; a choice of fruit juices is also provided with breakfast. If you want Coffee in any of the lounges you pay unless you have the AI package. Still water by the glass is available from any bar but you pay for sparkling water whether or not you have the AI package. Bottled water in your cabin is chargable.

Spirit is a lovely ship and ideal for a first cruise - we were on her in June (our 7th cruise) and we really enjoyed the week. We didn't buy the drinks package as we only booked 12 days before departure when the cost was £363 for the 2 of us and we doubted our drinks bill would be as much if we paid (was a different matter the previous July when, due to the heat, we needed to have many soft drinks for hydration purposes and we did get value out of our full price drinks package). In June we did buy 2 wine packages (1 x 7 bottle at £99 and 1 x 5 bottle at £71) - this included a good selection of wines (far nicer than the glasses of house wine you get with the drinks package) including a very nice sparkling Blanc de Blanc and would definitely do this again when we don't have the drinks package; our total drinks bill for the week, including the wine packages, was under £220 and we didn't scrimp.

Itinerary wise for the chance of calmer seas (always a gamble in late October) I would choose Spanish Sunsets rather than Magic of Spain as the ports are all in the Med whereas Cadiz and Lisbon on the Magic of Spain itinerary are in the open Atlantic that can have rougher waters by late Autumn.

Edited by campolady

Thanks for the info and prices that's good to know, currently the drinks package is being offered for £25.95 pppd and according to the Thomson website it says a pint of beer is around £3.70 and a glass of wine is £4, so while the drinks package is not cheap I think it could be something to do.

We are going to go into the local Thomson TA in town Saturday see what they have to say, maybe suggest if they do us a deal we will book it there and then.

We booked about 4 weeks ago and the drinks package online was £363 but when I enquired in the Thomson TA she said it was £399 on her system and there was no way she could do it for less!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info and prices that's good to know, currently the drinks package is being offered for £25.95 pppd and according to the Thomson website it says a pint of beer is around £3.70 and a glass of wine is £4, so while the drinks package is not cheap I think it could be something to do.

I paid £127.40 for both of us for a seven night cruise in October

Can't think £363.30 is a good deal, especially when you see how many drinks incur a supplement.

Just my opinion, others differ.

Well that's why I am posting on here, as I said having never been on a cruise I do not know what is and is not included and how much the supplement is or what has one.

I have tried to search for a drinks menu for Thomson cruises online but there does not seem to be a current up to date one, I found 1 from I think 2011 but it was hard to read.

So can anyone give me an idea as to what you might pay for thing like a glass of cider, pint of something like John smiths, baileys, cocktails like a mojito not sure if that's spelt correctly.

So can anyone give me an idea as to what you might pay for thing like a glass of cider, pint of something like John smiths, baileys, cocktails like a mojito not sure if that's spelt correctly.

Current prices on Spirit:-

Draught Cider - Pint £3.70. half pint £2.00

Draught Beer (was San Miguel on Spirit this Summer) - Pint £3.70. half pint £2.00

John Smiths - 440ml can £3.70

Baileys - £4.10 (£1.20 supplement for this and many other liqueurs if you have the AI package but no supplement for Cointreau, Drambuie or Sambuca))

Mojito and all other Cocktails/Martinis except Cocktail of the Day + Martini of the Day - £4.60 (choice of 8 cocktails + 4 Martinis included with the AI package but £1.20 supplement for Harvey Wallbanger, Long Island Iced Tea, Sea Breeze, Jumping Jack Flash, Sex on the Beach and all Frozen Cocktails with AI package)

Mocktails - £2.70

Cocktail of the Day + Martini of the Day - £3.95

If you would like any more prices just let me know.

Edited by campolady

Thanks for the fast reply!

There will be a 16 year old and a 20 month old toddler with us how much are soft drinks, juices, water etc can you get milk also for the toddler?

Lastly coffee I know there is a free machine you can use but how reasonable is it to go there all the time and is it 'nice' coffee my wife will ask :)

Thanks for the fast reply!

There will be a 16 year old and a 20 month old toddler with us how much are soft drinks, juices, water etc can you get milk also for the toddler?

Lastly coffee I know there is a free machine you can use but how reasonable is it to go there all the time and is it 'nice' coffee my wife will ask :)

Soft Drinks

Cola, Orange, Lemonade etc. - glass £1.10, can £1.90 (free for glass with AI package but 95 pence supplement for a can)

Apple, Grapefruit, Orange, Pineapple + Tomato Juice 200ml glass £1.80 (free with AI package)

Cranberry Juice 200ml glass** £1.80 per can (95 pence supplement with AI package) **For some reason all drinks e.g. cocktails that include Cranberry Juice have a supplement with the AI package.

Robinsons Fruit Shoots assorted flavours 200ml - £1.80 (£1.20 supplement with AI package)

J2O various flavours - £2.95 (£1.20 supplement with AI package).

Water

Free by the glass in any bar or restaurant.

Still Water 1.5 litre bottle £1.90 (£1.40 supplement with AI package)

Still Water 500ml bottle £1.40 (80 pence supplement with AI package)

Sparkling Water 1 litre bottle £1.60 (£1.20 with AI package)

Perrier Water 200ml bottle £2.30 (£1.20 supplement with AI package).

Milk

UHT milk always available whenever the buffet restaurant is open.

Coffee

Just about drinkable from the machine in the buffet and many people only ever use this to avoid paying. Personally we like the comfort of having coffee in one of the lounges where the prices are:-

Instant Coffee £2.00 (free with AI package)

Brewed to order Espresso + Americano £2.10 (free with AI package)

Brewed to order Cappucino or Latte £2.30 (free with AI package)

Brewed to order Mocha or Frappe £2.30 (free with AI package)

Liqueur Coffees £4.40 (£1.20 supplement with AI package).

Hope this helps.

Can I ask what you do ?

Not a lot - apart from planning our next cruise lol.

We live in Spain where I used to be a B and B landlady. As my husband now has to spend a lot of time in bed due to ill health I have a lot of time to kill so spend a lot of time on the computer so have time to check drinks menus etc - sad I know!

Edited by campolady

Not a lot - apart from planning our next cruise lol.

We live in Spain where I used to be a B and B landlady. As my husband now has to spend a lot of time in bed due to ill health I have a lot of time to kill so spend a lot of time on the computer so have time to check drinks menus etc - sad I know!

So do you ever book the all inclusive package ?

looking at those prices i am sure i would be £30plus most days with no all inc, not sure about the wife or 16yo.

So do you ever book the all inclusive package ?

looking at those prices i am sure i would be £30plus most days with no all inc, not sure about the wife or 16yo.

We did pay full price for the AI package last July as we knew that we would be needing copious non-alcoholic drinks due to the Summer heat - and we more than got our moneys worth.

We don't usually buy the AI package in low season unless, like next month, we got it 'free' by booking early but it depends on how much you drink (and how much time you expect to be on board during the day) as bills can soon run up e.g. just a couple of glasses of wine with lunch + dinner per couple is £31.20 per day/£218.40 per week without any other drinks.

When we don't buy the AI package we do buy wine packages when we get on board - can only be purchased for the first 24 hours after boarding -as you get a good choice of bottles (don't forget you only get wine by the glass with AI and we like to have a bottle with dinner). In June this year (on Spirit) we bought 1 x 7 bottle package at £99 and 1 x 5 bottle package at £72 - we had 2 vouchers left at the end of the cruise so our wine waiter packed up 2 bottles of the wine of our choice (a very drinkable sparkling Blanc de Blanc) for us to bring home.

Edited by campolady

By the way, regarding the wine packages I should have told you that you can have bottles anywhere around the ship not just in the dining rooms - and you can take a bottle from bar to bar etc. getting fresh glasses when you change areas; this way you can make a bottle last all evening if you want. We often enjoyed a bottle in the theatre whilst watching one of the shows then finished the rest of the wine off on deck afterwards; there are waiters in the theatre before and during the shows to get you drinks whenever you want them.

Edited by campolady

We don't usually buy the AI package in low season unless, like next month, we got it 'free' by booking early but it depends on how much you drink (and how much time you expect to be on board during the day) as bills can soon run up e.g. just a couple of glasses of wine with lunch + dinner per couple is £31.20 per day/£218.40 per week without any other drinks.

Very good point.

That has to be factored into the equation if you are going to be off the ship most of the day during port calls.

Thanks for all the advice I have to say looking at the price paying for the AI package and then any supplements on top it still looking cheaper than booking a holiday with them to lanzarote for the October half term.

Self catering 2 or 3 star for us all 2 adults, 1 teenager and 1 toddler is coming up at just over 3k for a week :eek: and then we need to eat and drink.