Disney kids club- 3 - 12 years old?

MaiTaiMary

Is the kids club on Disney cruise line grouped together 3-12 years old? If so, how does that work in terms of activities? Obviously a 3 year old is going to have much different interests than a 12 year old.

The Oceaneer's Club/Lab space is roughly divided into the "Club" space with activities aimed at the 3-8 age group. And the "Lab" space with activities aimed at the 9-12 group.

That being said, any child in the club/lab spaces can participate in whatever activities appeal to them, regardless of age.

Thanks. :)

On DCL, they will feed your kids lunch on sea days, correct? This was a big disappointment to me on Carnival. I didn't like having to plan my leisurely sea day around having to take the kids to eat. I do enough of that in my "real life"! :D

Also, do you know (approximately) what time they open on sea days? They didn't open until 10:00a on Carnival. I thought that was kind of late, especially if you have early risers, like I do!

Wait.. one more question! LOL

At what age can kids sign themselves in and out?

Thanks!

Thanks. :)

On DCL, they will feed your kids lunch on sea days, correct? This was a big disappointment to me on Carnival. I didn't like having to plan my leisurely sea day around having to take the kids to eat. I do enough of that in my "real life"! :D

Also, do you know (approximately) what time they open on sea days? They didn't open until 10:00a on Carnival. I thought that was kind of late, especially if you have early risers, like I do!

Wait.. one more question! LOL

At what age can kids sign themselves in and out?

Thanks!

Generally, the hours in the kid's clubs are 9am-midnight, but can vary.

Lunch is served in Oceaneer's, but at a set time. The CMs announce "Lunch is here" and will stop all activities, but will put a movie on, in most cases. It's up to your child whether they actually eat or not. The CMs won't make anyone eat.

Also, that lunch is pretty basic (sandwich, chips, fruit, milk).

Not sure about the self sign-out age, but I think it's like 9? Maybe?

Great info. Thanks so much.

My kids will be 9, 10, and 12 at the time of the cruise I'm trying to talk my DH into! :D

On Carnival, the camp didn't open until 10:00a. Then you had to come get them for lunch. Then they closed at 3:30p-5:00p to get ready for dinner. Honestly, there was NO "relaxing" time for mom & dad on days they went to Camp Carnival. Just a lot of constantly checking our watches to either pick them up or drop them off.

I'm trying to talk my hubby into a Disney cruise next year and if the camp is handled better that Carnival and we could actually RELAX on sea days, that would be a huge selling point. :D

Even better if they could sign themselves in and out. I'm assuming my 12 year old could, but I don't know about the two younger ones.

Great info. Thanks so much.

My kids will be 9, 10, and 12 at the time of the cruise I'm trying to talk my DH into! :D

On Carnival, the camp didn't open until 10:00a. Then you had to come get them for lunch. Then they closed at 3:30p-5:00p to get ready for dinner. Honestly, there was NO "relaxing" time for mom & dad on days they went to Camp Carnival. Just a lot of constantly checking our watches to either pick them up or drop them off.

I'm trying to talk my hubby into a Disney cruise next year and if the camp is handled better that Carnival and we could actually RELAX on sea days, that would be a huge selling point. :D

Even better if they could sign themselves in and out. I'm assuming my 12 year old could, but I don't know about the two younger ones.

For sure the 12 year old can. In fact the 12 year old will be able to participate both in Oceaneer's and Edge (ages 11-14). Those kids in the older kid's programs (Edge & Vibe) have self check in/out at anytime.

But lunch isn't served in Edge, since they can just go to the food places themselves.

Self sign out used to be 8 years old WITH parental permission.

As above, lunch and dinner are served in the OC, but no one is required to eat. Food is available for any child in the programming at that time, but if the child wants to do "free play" instead, no one makes him/her eat or even really encourages it.

There are multiple levels of activities in the Club/lab which are listed in the Navigator. Each level is geared to a particular age group, but any child in the programming is welcome to participate. However, the staff will not encourage kids outside of the "recommended" age to join in. In general, the activities occur in the space most designed to that age group--little kid activities are generally held in the OC space while those geared to older kids are generally held in the Lab.

The reason for this wide age group is simple--no matter what age cut offs DCL tried, there were always parents who were unhappy with it. They wanted siblings or cousins to be together...or their kid was far too advanced for their stated age group...or whatever. Funny, you almost never saw a parent who wanted to move a child down to a lower group other than one with a documented developmental disability. They were horrified when it was suggested that their older one could move DOWN to be with the younger, but the younger couldn't move up!

The new system provides overlap at the older ages--Lab is thru age 12, Edge is 11-14, Vibe is 14-17. Kids in the overlap ages can choose (with permission of parent) which group they would like to participate in.

• 4 weeks later...

WE went just this past April and my kids were 6,8, and 11. I haven't gone with kids on another line, but the way Disney handled it was great. You knew each day what activities were going on and when so you could decide where (Club or Lab) you wanted to drop the kids off. There were times I couldn't drag them away!

As for Edge, my 11 yo loved it as well. The nice part is that there are times they let them be on their own and other times where they want them all to participate together. Its a great way to help them make friends.

The staff was very friendly and accomodating as well.

Hope it helps