When do bookings close for sailings?

Jacqueline

I am waiting to get a clean bill of health from my doctor, hopefully in three weeks.

I live in NY and would love to do a transatlantic (probably rt to avoid flying).

How much before the sail does Cunard stop selling cabins?

I don't care where I am on the ship, for this adventure. I see it as a good place to convalesce.

The open decks, pool, excercize room, easily available healthy food all beacon. Plus just an hour to the pier so no last minute airfare.

FWIW, I've seen online booking available the day of sailing for one TA. It's possible to book last minute IF space is available. That's a big IF.

If you really want to go, and are just waiting for a medical OK, then call Cunard if you don't see your sailing online. Mention to the agent that you live in New York so she knows that getting to the embarkation port won't be an issue for you. Then pack a bag and call car service.

Only down side is - how are you getting back to NY? Are you looking at a B2B sailing? Last minute one way air fare can be pretty expensive.

FWIW, I've seen online booking available the day of sailing for one TA. It's possible to book last minute IF space is available. That's a big IF.

If you really want to go, and are just waiting for a medical OK, then call Cunard if you don't see your sailing online. Mention to the agent that you live in New York so she knows that getting to the embarkation port won't be an issue for you. Then pack a bag and call car service.

Only down side is - how are you getting back to NY? Are you looking at a B2B sailing? Last minute one way air fare can be pretty expensive.

Not necessary. We were hesitant on booking our first transatlantic on the QM2 due to a one-way return flight from London. While the cruise was very low priced, we did not want to spend more for the 5 hour flight than the 7 day cruise. When we told this to our travel agent, he found a cruise staff special. Only caveat was that we had go directly from the ship to the airport. No delaying for sightseeing.

Best luck to you.

Thank you for the helpful suggestions and advice.

Given that I have a recovery I would love to do the round trip and avoid the stress of air travel.

I just got back three weeks ago from a big medical adventure. I fell in remote Bhutan and it took weeks to get home with two surgeries. I had a helicopter and medjet than a 25 hour flight home with a 12 time change. I literally have four stops before getting to NY.

So if I don't have jet lag or see an airport for a while I am a happy camper. I just don't know how to break it to my husband that I want to travel again! I may be able to sell it, but he may go out of his mind.

Jacqueline, if for any reason your doctor doesn't clear you for a r/t trans-Atlantic, maybe the 5 night July QM2 NY-Canada-Boston-NY would be acceptable since it's a shorter cruise and you'd be fairly close to shore. Plus you'd get to see the ship newly refurbished :)

Anyway, best wishes on a speedy recovery and a very pleasant voyage whenever you are able to sail the ocean blue.

Salacia

Here in the UK I once booked a cruise on a Friday and sailed on the Sunday. I don't know what the USA policy is but there was no problem for me with this late date as I live quite close to Southampton.

I booked that late because I was holding out for a last-minute bargain and the company was not prepared to discount solo prices when I phoned on the Tuesday. I had everything planned in my head so I knew what to do if the price was right. I had even collated details of the ports. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the last-minute rush.

Since 9/11 in America things have changed. I believe that the cruise line needs to send the list of passengers on a given cruise to Homeland Security three days before the ship sails.

In the old days I actually walked up to the Purser's Office on the Str DELTA QUEEN, while tied up in Cincinnati, and secured passage twenty minutes before the boat left the landing.

Two years ago in Singapore, cabins were being advertised for sale ON THE DAY and we went through the whole booking process! AND we sucessfully negotiated an upgrade from Britannia Club to Queen's Grill on board on the same day.