Istanbul shuttle

carlmm

There was no shuttle when we were in Istanbul on the QV in August last year. There are three options:

Walking (though this is a good half hour to the centre and 40 minutes to the Hagia Sophia).

Taking the Tram - this is incredibly easy and takes you right up to where you need to go. Tickets are inexpensive and they are very used to assisting tourists with the tickets. It takes 10/15 minutes and is a really nice journey.

Taxi - This is very convenient but can be expensive. A number of people on our trip also had problems where the fare was exorbitant or they handed over a large note and were told by the driver it was smaller. Be careful and count out your notes clearly if you take this route.

Again, there was no shuttle when we had an overnight in Istanbul. We used the trams, which was great fun (and an eye opener), and managed to get to all the places we wanted to visit without using a taxi or ship excursions.

A wonderful city, so hope you enjoy yourselves.

Walking (though this is a good half hour to the centre and 40 minutes to the Hagia Sophia).
And uphill!

Like the others I'd recommend the tram. When you come out the docks you want to head left but depending on exactly which berth the ship is at the closest tram stop could be to your right. Have a quick check to see if you see a tram platform close by, if not follow the tram lines to the left, towards the Galata Bridge and you'll soon find a stop. There are token machines at the entrance to the platforms. The stop you want for The Blue Mosque, Topkapi, Hagia Sophia and the Basilica Cistern is "Sultanahmet".

When you've seen all of those :D follow the tram lines in the same direction you were heading for one more stop and you are at the Grand Bazaar. From here on it's all downhill. Through the Bazaar, out the other side, down the hill, through the Spice Bazaar and you're back at the Galata Bridge again. You can either take the tram a couple of stops or walk from here (you'll be able to see the ship from here).

A very easy do-it-yourself tour of Istanbul. Have a great time.

I found the tram very easy, but I had help! I asked for guidance in the port and was told that I would need to get a token for the tram and I would need to pay for it in Turkish lira. However, I was told there was nowhere to change money until I got into the centre. I was fortunate in that a young lady was nearby and she took me under her wing, bought my token, got off at my stop with me and took me to a place to exchange my money. She then refused when I tried to repay her for my ticket and hers (which I had offered before we left) but graciously accepted some money when I asked her to give it to her favourite charity.

Coming home the tram was packed and I would have had trouble seeing out the window to find the correct spot. Fortunately a gentleman standing next to me helped, and told me when to get off.

Alternatively of course you could take the HoHo bus which has a convenient stop right outside the Cruise Terminal...

9391815211_a8fe8bd7b2_z.jpg

or better still, if you are physically capable, follow my route...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/07/29/one-way-to-do-istanbul/

Often missed by tourists and a stones throw from Hagia Sophia is the Hagia Sophia Mausoleum. Well worth a visit...

9391817579_47785549d4_z.jpg

9394586258_ec69e0a297_z.jpg

Whatever you choose, have great time in this vibrant city.