Wine Packages

DadTheBigKid

Dear Experienced Cunarders

We will be ordering a wine package of red and white. I see we will get a book of tokens.

If we decide we will have fish one evening , how long usually will the Sommelier take to get a bottle in the Brittania Restaurant normally?

Also , if we are chilling in the Commodore club for instance , could we give the bar staff a token and get a bottle of wine there? ( obviously this would not be before 10am :D )

Thanks in advance.

Just over 2 weeks till we board........

We were thinking of getting a wine package but when we checked the prices of the wines included in the Captains collection it didn't seem that much of a bargain. We found each of the wines on the wine list and it was more expensive to purchase the package than buy the wines individually. It is possible that the wine list was not up to date, in which case the package might be worth buying.

Well, our experience, as of 2015, was that the wine package was not a good buy. We purchased bottles of wine as we wished. And as to the question regarding the speed of delivery by the sommelier in Britannia, it's pretty good. Comparable to ordering in a good restaurant. Not perfect, but pretty good. I've had no experience ordering bottles of wine in the bars; we have simply ordered wine by the glass in the bars. Bottoms up!

I'm not sure easy it would be for the Commodore Club staff to access the wine storage, it is quite a long way from the restaurant. I don't think the wines in the package are the same as those sold by the glass in the bars. The package specifically mentions that wines are available in the dining room or your storeroom.

If you are worried about waiting, it's probably easier to call the wineline number, details will be in your Daily Programmes, and order ahead of time. The first night can be a bit hectic while the Sommeliers are finding out who needs wine. We ordered a bottle during the afternoon and it made things much smoother.

The package price includes the 15 % service charge so there is a saving if the wines are to your taste.

Edited by Host Hattie

We were thinking of getting a wine package but when we checked the prices of the wines included in the Captains collection it didn't seem that much of a bargain. We found each of the wines on the wine list and it was more expensive to purchase the package than buy the wines individually. It is possible that the wine list was not up to date, in which case the package might be worth buying.

Thank you for your input

I think we've decided and are going for it 😀

Well, our experience, as of 2015, was that the wine package was not a good buy. We purchased bottles of wine as we wished. And as to the question regarding the speed of delivery by the sommelier in Britannia, it's pretty good. Comparable to ordering in a good restaurant. Not perfect, but pretty good. I've had no experience ordering bottles of wine in the bars; we have simply ordered wine by the glass in the bars. Bottoms up!

Thank you, as ever useful to know

I'm not sure easy it would be for the Commodore Club staff to access the wine storage, it is quite a long way from the restaurant. I don't think the wines in the package are the same as those sold by the glass in the bars. The package specifically mentions that wines are available in the dining room or your storeroom.

If you are worried about waiting, it's probably easier to call the wineline number, details will be in your Daily Programmes, and order ahead of time. The first night can be a bit hectic while the Sommeliers are finding out who needs wine. We ordered a bottle during the afternoon and it made things much smoother.

The package price includes the 15 % service charge so there is a saving if the wines are to your taste.

Hattie

Perfect thank you. I understand things a bit better now

So if we order before we get onboard and then onboard in advance of the evening let them know what we want?

I would never pre buy wine. I have dined at tables where fellow diners have, and many times the wines on the original list were unavailable and substituted. How do you know if you will like all the wines you have bought? Much better for me to drink as you go, then if you alight on one you really like you can order it again.

Ok it might save you a little cash, but compared with the total outlay for the cruise it's peanuts.

David.

Edited by balf

I would never pre buy wine. I have dined at tables where fellow diners have, and many times the wines on the original list were unavailable and substituted. How do you know if you will like all the wines you have bought? Much better for me to drink as you go, then if you alight on one you really like you can order it again.

Ok it might save you a little cash, but compared with the total outlay for the cruise it's peanuts.

David.

David

Thank you for an alternative opinion.

We will think on that and let you know what we do and how it turns out.