Snorkeling Tour?

dividedsky

Was curious if anyone has recently done any snorkeling tours recently. It seems like there's a lot of focus on scuba which is understandable but we are looking to just snorkel and not with a huge crowd of people. Any tours that anyone can suggest? Thanks :D

Was curious if anyone has recently done any snorkeling tours recently. It seems like there's a lot of focus on scuba which is understandable but we are looking to just snorkel and not with a huge crowd of people. Any tours that anyone can suggest? Thanks :D

Upachaya gets very good reviews. Website here

I very much enjoyed my time with Free Radical. The staff was spot on, the snorkeling was good and the food was great. Website here.

Another option is to skip the tour and go to West Bay Beach, the reef comes to the shore, though it can get crowded, the farther out you go the less people you have to deal with. The snorkeling from Half Moon Bay Beach in West End sometimes suits.

Edited by Guest 2000

The beach option might be something to consider too since after I posted this I realized our ship doesn't dock till 10am. Are there snorkel items available to rent at the beach?

Yes there are plenty of dive shops plus locals offering snorkle gear for rent. I am not a big fan if using stranger's toothbrushes, you can bet I am not going to rent a public snorkle in a third world country. My own option, mileage may vary.

Indeed Free Radical is hoot and half with wonderful people and food.

• 5 weeks later...

Artley from Blue Cool Running Tours does private snorkel charters, so it would just be your group. He will take you to a few different sites, lots to see.

I will second Free Radical for a great excursion! We have been on over a dozen cruises and love to go out on a catamaran for some time out on the water and some relaxing snorkeling. We have done a lot of snorkel excursions all around the Caribbean and do not like the mass passenger, cram as many on board as possible type excursions. While researching Roatan I came across The Radical Adventures Free Radical Catamaran excursion and it is one of the best we have ever done!

The food, service, catamaran and crew are all excellent and they keep the numbers to no more than about 15 – 20 (but will go out with as few as 6) so there is plenty of space to relax and enjoy the trip.

The crew are locals and all speak English. They are super attentive and friendly. They go into the water with the group for safety and to help point out areas of interest.

This was without a doubt the best excursion of our trip and one of the best I have taken. I was surprised there were not more reviews on this Board but there are hundreds of excellent reviews on Trip Advisor you can check out also.

• 4 months later...

Just back. Sharing a great experience at Roatan Bay. Reserved a private driver for the day with Victor Bodden Tours. Went to West Bay Beach by Infinity Bay Resort (by the pier there). Our driver watched all our belongings. Small boat there "Queen of the Sea" took us farther out to the Blue Channel for $25pp included a guide in the water who swam with us. We are Dad, Mom, 11 yr old with our own gear but very limited snorkeling experience and had no problems. The boat had gear if needed. We tried snorkeling from shore at West Bay in the "kidney area" and saw some fish and stingray. But the coral was high to the surface everywhere, we never would have found our way though to deeper water. Definitely recommend taking the boat to Blue Channel (video is from there). Our driver also took us to Victor Bodden's place where the monkeys will jump around on your head -- a lot of fun there too! Here's the link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox9m3f1Aegk&feature=youtu.be

I am looking into the snorkeling tour with Eco Tours. How did it go?

Now that I have a chance to sit and type I can better answer your question.

We had a great time with Alex of Roatan Eco Tours. He was very quick to respond to any of my emails leading up to the tour date and he was right where he said he'd be once we got off the boat. Lucky for us the tour was only the 4 of us but there was more than enough room for the 20 max that he sails with. We ended up snorkeling in 3 spots since it was just the 4 of us we opted not to take a "beach break" the snorkeling was fantastic! My husband and I are pretty strong snorkelers and my parents were not as much. One thing I can say about Alex was that my step-mother was pretty nervous and Alex literally stayed with her the whole time she was in the water. I would definitely recommend them if you are looking for a snorkeling tour for sure. Any other questions let me know! :)

I am looking into the snorkeling tour with Eco Tours. How did it go?

Now that I have a chance to sit and type I can better answer your question.

We had a great time with Alex of Roatan Eco Tours. He was very quick to respond to any of my emails leading up to the tour date and he was right where he said he'd be once we got off the boat. Lucky for us the tour was only the 4 of us but there was more than enough room for the 20 max that he sails with. We ended up snorkeling in 3 spots since it was just the 4 of us we opted not to take a "beach break" the snorkeling was fantastic! My husband and I are pretty strong snorkelers and my parents were not as much. One thing I can say about Alex was that my step-mother was pretty nervous and Alex literally stayed with her the whole time she was in the water. I would definitely recommend them if you are looking for a snorkeling tour for sure. Any other questions let me know! :)

To add, (im dividedskys husband) here is the video I took there. It was an amazing time and probably the best snorkeling trip we've taken.

[YOUTUBE]zG9n31HwdgI[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...