Part 2 Oceana Genoa Fly Cruise

annieuk

Well, about Oceana generally. No she's not new but we honestly wouldn't describe her as shabby. When it poured with rain over two days we did see one leak on C deck but this was quickly dealt with. Sitting in Tiffany's it all looked as it usually does, the wonderful atrium still wows - well it does us anyway. The staff gave their usual efficient service and we had exceptional waiters for both weeks. They changed over half way and our two waiters of the first week went from the Adriatic to Freedom Dining in the Ligurian and two new waiters took over. They immediately set to getting to know us and our preferences. We saw quite a few Officers around the ship and they always said hello. We went to the Captain's Gala Reception on the first sea day - in fact we could have gone to two as they hold one each week as there will be new passengers each week. We went to the Caribbean Lunch - only the second we have attended and it was excellent. We were sat with the Staff Techno Officer. He had only recently come on board and was alternating Oceana with Ventura. He was very chatty and interesting. The food was good too!

One thing we did feel about these Fly Cruises where some people are on for two weeks and others for one is that they seem to feel a bit bitty, for want of another word. Over the two weeks we had the usual 4 Formal Evenings and 10 Casual. One of the Formal Evenings was held on a Port Day as we had two Sea Days together and they wouldn't want two Formal evenings one after the other. One of the things that seemed odd was that Marco Pierre's Gala Menu was served on a Casual Evening between 2 Formal Evenings. Reading the information on the Menu it was obvious that it was designed to be held on a Black and White evening but we didn't have one of those. I suppose what I'm saying is for those of us who have been on full two week cruises - where everyone joins and leaves the ship at the same time - it seems a bit disjointed.

There was a lot of chat at the Captain's Reception about the new Fly Cruises to and from Malta next year.

Disembarking: We had been told originally that we would have to put our cases outside the cabin on the final evening as usual and they would be taken to the airport but we'd have to check them in as we weren't on a P&O charter. Well, much to our delight this wasn't the situation. The cases went out and we had been send special labels to put on them. Then on the final morning one of us had to go down to Le Club with both our passports and then were given our boarding cards. So on disembarking we were able to go straight to the airport, straight through security and into the Departure Lounge. This was great. We were due to leave the ship about 1.30 - in the event we left about 1.15 so were able to have a quick lunch in the restaurant first, with some of our table companions who were on the same flight. Security at Genoa was a bit of a muddle, one woman in front of me was talking about getting out her plastic bag with liquids and she was told, "Oh don't bother about that" - not good from the Security point of view. Genoa is such a small airport there's not far to walk but there was room for everyone to sit by the gate - unlike at Gatwick on the way out. The flight is only just about 2 hours so by the time you've been served a snack - a very good sandwich, plus drinks - no charge - the flight is soon over and we returned to a very cold, wet London.

This was our second cruise this year - we'd had two weeks on Adonia in the Caribbean in February and I persuaded my husband to do this one, principally as the Grand Prix was on - even though it was only the Historic one. We enjoyed ourselves. We didn't go looking for things wrong - yes there were things that could have been better - fewer green beans and better coffee for example! I can't say I'm keen on these cruises where some are for 7 night and some for 14 but that's the way things seem to be going. Would I go back on Oceana? Yes I would, will we do a fly cruise to Malta? No I don't think so. The whole hassle of the airports really makes it stressful to me and as we live near Southampton - about 20 minutes away - it's really attractive for me to go from there. Anyway, we had a good time.

Thank you for your 2 reviews - very comprehensive. We are going on our 1st ever cruise at the end of June and will be on Oceana for 14 days. We chose this cruise because the itinerary looks good and the dates suit us. After it was booked I was very excited about our new adventure - until I found cruise ship review sites - then I questioned whether we'd made the right decision. I saw Oceana in Madeira on New Years eve she didn't look like a rust bucket to me - according to some, she is!

Having read your reviews which seem fair to me, I am much more reassured. Thank you.

Interesting review, x2 not a cruise I would want to take for a number of reasons, flying, and far too many ports would be the main ones. Glad the process of transfers seems to be smooth for those using them.

Of course this all means the only time we get to cruise on Oceana is in the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your 2 reviews - very comprehensive. We are going on our 1st ever cruise at the end of June and will be on Oceana for 14 days. We chose this cruise because the itinerary looks good and the dates suit us. After it was booked I was very excited about our new adventure - until I found cruise ship review sites - then I questioned whether we'd made the right decision. I saw Oceana in Madeira on New Years eve she didn't look like a rust bucket to me - according to some, she is!

Having read your reviews which seem fair to me, I am much more reassured. Thank you.

I'm doing the 7 day Venice to Genoa in two weeks time and I think if I took on board everything that people had said in their reviews of Oceana I would probably not go. Admittedly Oceana isn't the newest ship but I intend to enjoy the experience and the ports that it goes to, which for me is really important.

Hope you have a great time.