Anyone started their cruise in Civittaveccia?

CASPALL

We are joining Diadema in Civittaveccia. Flying to Rome Fiumicino and staying in a hotel near the airport the night before the cruise.

Struggling to find a sensible transfer option to take us to the port. Taxis are 110 euros which means paying 220 return! Taking the train means going back into Rome from Fiumicino and then on to Civittaveccia.

Trying to see how we can do local buses now , but just wondering if anyone on here has been in the same situation

Caryl

You dont have much time to research. Cant help with Rome, we never start here for that very reason.

Costa usually have a transfer bus, you would have to call the UK office. Or if you booked an agent, try them.

My suggestion having visited Rome from the port, would be to do exactly as you have mentioned, that is, get into town and take the train. They are frequent and cheap, then in the port its either a short walk to the ship transfer point or if you feel like it, a taxi from the station direct to ship will be around 20 euro if you bargain.

You have just about all day, we allow 2 hours Rome main station to ship, thats plenty.

If you have young children take a transfer, we use Suntransfers and they are around 200 return.

Edited by malnik
additional info

We are joining Diadema in Civittaveccia. Flying to Rome Fiumicino and staying in a hotel near the airport the night before the cruise.

Struggling to find a sensible transfer option to take us to the port. Taxis are 110 euros which means paying 220 return! Taking the train means going back into Rome from Fiumicino and then on to Civittaveccia.

Trying to see how we can do local buses now , but just wondering if anyone on here has been in the same situation

Caryl

Costa has a transfer bus right from FCO to the Civitavecchia port and back

Haven't done exactly that yet, not til next fall. But FCO is southwest of Rome, Civitavechia is northwest, I suspect the train is more practical. I do know the local train connection from FCO is a lot shorter at Travastere or Ostiense than the Leonardo Express at Termini (opposite end of the station).

The port shuttle route was changed last year, make sure any info you get is current. It might be worth considering a Costa shuttle just for direct to the ship.

Edited by Dancer Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's me home again.

We took the train from Fiumicino airport terminal 3 to Civittaveccia, changing at Trastavere. All very easy and trains quiet in morning. The steps were a pain with luggage as we thought but there was a lift in Trastavere station, it was civittavechia that was the problem. The train was 11 euros each

We came out of civittavechia station and there was a large people carrier taxi sitting there. The driver was shouting "Costa ship" so we walked over. 5 euros each to the terminal building. Bargain.

Once in the terminal we got our number for checking in but had to wait until 13.30 before they started boarding. The building was cold, draughty,uncomfortable and there was nothing there except a drinks machine and toilets. How we wished we had stayed at the train station as there were plenty cafes around there.

There was Norovirus onboard Diadema as we unfortunately found out after 2 days of being very ill. One of the hospitality staff told us the crew have it!

It's annoying that Costa don't inform you to take extra care. We have to fill in our health forms before we board!

A 7 day cruise I shouldn't have taken :(

Caryl

• 1 month later...

Hi Carryl

What a pity about your experience. We were on the Diadema in February and had a good time. We boarded in Barcelona. Much easier that Rome. Done that once and it was too much of a trek.

Touch wood but we have never been on a ship with Noro.

Hubby picked up bad infections twice in the past though. Both on the Deliziosa-we call it the "ship of germs".

Hope your house renovations go well. I don't envy you.

We are leaving Sunday week(8/5). I hope all goes well. I am very excited and got a whole new summer wardrobe. With my luck it's going to be freezing the whole time. In November we cruised from Venice and I packed winter clothing and it was so warm I was longing for my sandals.

Bye

Riana