Sea Sickness... What to do?? Help!

Jamericannn

Just an FYI if you try the earpatch. I did on my last cruise and I either touched my eyes after putting it on or did not wash my hands properly and lost my nearsightedness for a day! It was very scary until we read the side effects and this came up as number 1. I took if off and was fine the next day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't have to do anything wrong to have that side effect. The scopolamine patch makes me hallucinate. It's not for everyone!

I have really good success with the Sea Band wrist bands, and Bonine if it's particularly rough. My inner ear goes *off* before the nausea starts, so I have time to take the medication and stay ahead of the iffy stomach.

I suffer terribly with sea sickness. Before going on my first cruise i went to my doctor and he prescribed some medication. Well- it was useless. First night onboard and I was violently ill. I went to the medic and was told they sold 'the good stuff' at the pursers desk. I went straight there and they sold me Avomine. It was my saviour - i have used it on every cruise since and wouldn't go without it. Downside is it can make you drowsy so best to take at night. I feel for your friends- there really is nothing worse when you just want to enjoy your well earned holiday!!

In a perfect world, each of those first-time cruisers would ask their medical provider what is recommended for them. The motion sickness meds can interact with other medications and may have significant side effects for some people. (Even ginger can interact with some mediations!) At least, avoidance of big, rich meals and too much alcohol can be a great preventive measure. It's one thing to be seasick. It's another entirely to be seasick, drunk, and overfed. Hope you have a great cruise.

I get horrible motion sickness. I've tried both the patch and bonine on different trips. The patch works pretty well but still feel a little off in rough seas. Not so much I don't enjoy the cruise but usually just go to bed after the show to sleep it off. Only side effect for me is dry mouth. Downside is you have to see a doc to get it and some insurance doesn't cover it and it's expensive.

Bonine works great for me. Start taking a day before trip and 2 pills a day till I get home. No side effects and it's cheap. But some people get drowsy on it.

I would recommend they get whatever they plan to use and try to ahead of time to see how it does for them on side effects. If bonine knocks them out they may need to do the patch.