Ventura - single outside Deck F or Inside Deck B??

s&gsjollies

I am planning a two week cruise for my Mum and myself on October 1 from Southampton to the Med. We're a little worried about the weather in the Bay of Biscay, so not sure on which cabins are the best option for stability (high or low?) - we also need two so it is costing us quite a lot and dont want to get it wrong!

We've been offered Single Outsides on Deck P, mid forward - the level of The Exchange and the Theatre. I've read reviews that the Inside Singles are noisy as they back onto the bar but wonder if the outside rooms are far enough away?

The alternative is Deck B, midships, either side of the lifts.

I'd appreciate anyones comments/suggestions please - low near the bar or high midships? Mum has had seasickness on the way to norway during a storm before and I want to give her the best experience I can.

I have stayed in the single cabins on F deck twice, both an inside and an outside, both on the same cruise. They were possibly the most noisy cabins I have had the misfortune to stay in. I started with an inside but there was so much creaking and squeaking from the walls and ceiling that sleeping was impossible. I was moved to an outside the next day but although it was better there was still a lot of noise. This was a few years ago when the cabins were freshly installed and I thought the problem would have been dealt with by now, not so!. On Ventura last xmas a lady told me her single cabin was very noisy and there was nothing reception could do as the ship was full.

The inside cabins on B deck are standard insides and are actually doubles so you can have your beds set up as singles or as a large double. Midship is good for rough seas, think about the pivot point of a seesaw. In my experience they are just as quiet as any other cabin and I get a good nights sleep.

Do you have to have separate cabins? You could share a double and save a load of money, maybe even enough to have a double outside or even a balcony.

How lucky am I to get an answer from someone with first hand experience?! I find it quite upsetting that those paying for single cabins seem to be getting a substandard accommodation noise-wise at least (and they definitely aren't a bargain!) Perhaps they are too close to the bar, theatre etc with a lot of foot fall above too? The window was appealing, especially on a two-weeker, so I'll wait in the hope that someone comes forward saying the Outside Singles are now fab - fingers crossed.

The B Deck Inside Cabin (midships) will be a good location. Can you tell me if you get more "sway" on the higher decks, or is the closeness to midship the main decider?

And finally, yes I'm getting two cabins, although the cost is big. I think we'll both need our own space on a two week cruise and she also snores!

Ah! snoring ;)

I did not notice much noise from the Exchange bar but I was never in bed until about midnight and I believe the noisy entertainment ie Karaoke :eek: finishes at about 11pm. There will be some movement on higher decks but a midship cabin should mean this is a rocking motion rather than the fareground ride of a for or aft cabin in a storm. Of course the Bay of Biscay can be OK as it was at xmas.

So I have to book tomorrow.

I've just been talking to a friend who's cruised on Ventura, loved it and immediately thought the Single "Window" Cabin (with an impressive on-board spend) was the best option for mum and I for a two week cruise. Thats until I told her what you'd experienced.

May I ask, was the lady you met in the outside cabin? (or maybe she didn't say ...)

Just a shame that there really is no cost difference between the inside on B and a Single Outside and I would love the light but also like my sleep! I'm also astonished they haven't sorted the noisiness too if that's the case - perhaps the words got round and why they're offering £250 spend?!

The lady did not say if she had an inside or outside. My experience was the creaking and squeaking was less in the outside cabin but I still had what sounded like a large family of gerbils trying to escape for behind the wall right beside my bed :eek: Of course the noise will vary depending on which cabin you have.

I have stayed in the single cabins on F deck twice, both an inside and an outside, both on the same cruise. They were possibly the most noisy cabins I have had the misfortune to stay in. I started with an inside but there was so much creaking and squeaking from the walls and ceiling that sleeping was impossible. I was moved to an outside the next day but although it was better there was still a lot of noise. This was a few years ago when the cabins were freshly installed and I thought the problem would have been dealt with by now, not so!. On Ventura last xmas a lady told me her single cabin was very noisy and there was nothing reception could do as the ship was full.

This is discouraging news. I just booked my niece and myself into the single inside cabins described above. Understandably my will-be 24-year-old niece would rather have her own cabin, and we will certainly be able to get ready in the mornings of this port-intensive cruise much more easily with separate cabins. But you've given me an ounce of trepidation.

Hi Cruiser Bruiser

This really isn't the thread you want to stumble on when you've already booked - sorry!

Anyway, today I ploughed through P&Os review pages and came upon two reviews from lone travellers who said they'd had a fine time in the Single Cabins and thought you'd like to hear that! One mentioned her room number F322. So we've gone ahead and booked that one and the one next door and have our fingers and toes well and truly crossed!

I am planning a two week cruise for my Mum and myself on October 1 from Southampton to the Med. .

I suspect you are on the same cruise as us. It's our first time and i was lucky to have some help from a friend who has cruised before and is a bit cabin-savvy. We chose B-deck mid-ship for the same reason. My father warned me about rough seas around the Bay of Biscay so I really hope we don't get sea-sick. I can't bear being sick!

Hi Cruiser Bruiser

This really isn't the thread you want to stumble on when you've already booked - sorry!

Anyway, today I ploughed through P&Os review pages and came upon two reviews from lone travellers who said they'd had a fine time in the Single Cabins and thought you'd like to hear that! One mentioned her room number F322. So we've gone ahead and booked that one and the one next door and have our fingers and toes well and truly crossed!

Good luck with your choice, and let us know how you fared. The niece and I are in F308 and F314, just a couple doors down from you. With such a busy itinerary, I'm not too worried about getting to sleep. Happy sailing!