Malicious spam?

diebroke

I just received the email below.

I am sure it didn’t come from Regent as I have no reservations and don't plan to make any.

I didn’t click on any of the links & have removed them from my copy & paste of the email.

I wonder if Regent or CC have been hacked?

I would encourage others to avoid clicking on the link or opening attachments.

Ship: SS MARINER Departure Date: 17AUG2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for booking your vacation with Regent Seven Seas Cruises, we look forward to welcoming you aboard in the near future. For your convenience we have enclosed various PDF documents with this email.

PDF Copy of Invoice

Attached to this email as a PDF copy is your reservation confirmation. Please take a few minutes to review the Invoice to ensure the data is correct. If you have any questions related to this reservation or if we can be of further assistance, please contact us at 800.285.1835.

Guest Registration Form

In order to process and finalize your reservation you must complete a Guest Registration Form as quickly as possible. This form asks for some basic yet essential information and takes only a few moments to complete. A PDF copy of the Guest Registration Form is attached for your reference and we invite you to complete this form quickly and easily online at:

Air Arrangements and Air Deviations

Regent Seven Seas Cruises provides air arrangements as a convenience and service to our guests. Airline schedules will be available 75 days prior to departure and final air schedules will be ticketed approximately 30 days prior to departure. If you would like to customize your air arrangements, Regent Seven Seas Cruises can accept Air Deviation requests 270 days prior to departure.

Air Deviation requests are usually completed within 48 hours of request being made. Should you not request an Air Deviation, routings and schedules are at the sole discretion of the airline and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Air schedules may not be changed within 45 days of departure.

We offer our guests the opportunity to upgrade to First or Business Class where available. For international destinations, Business Class Air applies to intercontinental flights only.

We thank you for your attention to these items.

Please note that this email address does not accept replies. Please call us at 800.285.1835.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Please note that this eMail address does not accept replies.

8300 NW 33rd Street, Suite 100, Miami, FL 33122, USA

As you are aware, the email did not come from us – it was someone who took our image and built a malicious email containing a virus and sent it out. The recipients of the email were random individuals – none of our data was compromised.

As you are aware, the email did not come from us – it was someone who took our image and built a malicious email containing a virus and sent it out. The recipients of the email were random individuals – none of our data was compromised.

Dear Mr Moore:

Has Regent considered sending out an email to all their customers warning them of this scam? Many (not all) Regent passengers are older and may not be as computer savvy as others and may cause themselves a great deal of grief if they do open this malicious email.

gnomie :)

Hi gnomie - the email was not sent to our customers. If a few did receive it, it would be a very small number and a coincidence, so alarming our entire history of guests and visitors to our website did not seem necessary. Had it been our data that was breached, we would have taken that course of action.

Hi gnomie - the email was not sent to our customers. If a few did receive it, it would be a very small number and a coincidence, so alarming our entire history of guests and visitors to our website did not seem necessary. Had it been our data that was breached, we would have taken that course of action.

Thank you so much for your response. Agree completely that this would have alarmed many guests while only a handful received the spam. Really appreciate you monitoring the Regent boards.

I guess I am one of the few Regent customers to receive it by coincidence, & it was sent to my email address on file with Regent. I understand Regent did not send it & my email address was not obtained from Regent. Thank you for your response.

Dealing with even non-malicious email spam is a daily issue that I assume is frustrating to all of us.

I wish I could stop the snail mail spam I receive from Regent. I tried to stop it several times. The last time, I emailed FDR as he suggested on this board. He replied immediately & said he would stop it. Apparently, even he was unable to stop the massive volume of mailings I receive from Regent. Getting rid of email spam just involves hitting the delete key. Getting rid of the spam I receive from Regent via the USPS requires a trip to our recycling bin.

At least it provides revenue for our beleaguered postal service & offers me a little exercise.

Dear Mr. Moore:

How can you be sure it only affects a small amount of your customers? Why should even one Regent customer go through the grief and aggravation and possibly identity theft by believing the email is a real email. I know that if my Mom received that email, should be have no hesitation opening it, as would many others.

Warning people is different than alarming people - always better to be on the offensive side than the defensive side. I know I would feel that a company actually cared about me if they took the effort to protect me from a potential nasty experience. I know that I get email warnings all the time from companies (who were not hacked) informing me of potential phishing and potential dangerous emails.

Perhaps this is the only case. Why upset hundreds of thousands of customers over one report? I do think that seniors need to be warned about giving out personal information via email or telephone as there are people that target seniors.

Perhaps this is the only case. Why upset hundreds of thousands of customers over one report? I do think that seniors need to be warned about giving out personal information via email or telephone as there are people that target seniors.

It is obviously not just one case - why would spammers only target one individual? You actually think that because only one person reported their experience on CC it is an isolated incident? It is actually quite widespread - it is already reported as being on the watch lists for fraudulent emails (I don't know how to provide links - google it)

It is obviously not just one case - why would spammers only target one individual? It is actually quite widespread - it is already reported as being on the watch lists for fraudulent emails (I don't know how to provide links - google it)

TechHelpList.com reports that as of April 9 they had received 149 of these bogus Regent e-mails from 126 IP addresses in 30 countries. This was the same day the OP reported her bogus e-mail which, to repeat, was not really from Regent. I believe that Mr. Moore and his colleagues could craft a non-alarming warning about the threat, but it may be that by now the e-mail has run its course and is no longer circulating. I appreciate Mr. Moore's contributions to this thread, and I assume he may know of current reports of the false e-mail.