backpack vs cross body bag

Money, passport, and credit cards are in a small cross body bag. I use a Travelon slash resistant one. Non necessary stuff like water bottles, jacket, umbrella, hat... are in a backpack. I won't be happy if the backpack gets slashed, but I can replace it quickly and easily -- that's not true of my passport and cards.

Money' date=' passport, and credit cards are in a small cross body bag. I use a Travelon slash resistant one. Non necessary stuff like water bottles, jacket, umbrella, hat... are in a backpack. I won't be happy if the backpack gets slashed, but I can replace it quickly and easily -- that's not true of my passport and cards.[/quote']

Why would you ever take a passport off the ship (unless you were in a port like Vladivostak, which required it)? Ask the entire list of crew members on your ship if they'd ever do that and you'll be able to count the positive responses on less than one hand (make that one finger).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I generally use a backpack for my day-to-day walking around town, because it balances the weight nicely on my shoulders, but if I'm going somewhere with my DSLR and I'll want to take photos, I use a cross body camera bag. Specifically the Lowepro Passport Sling (http://store.lowepro.com/ca/passport-sling-iii-ca), because it's comfortable to carry and has space enough for my extras like wallet, phone, sunglasses, and water bottle. I don't feel the need for any special "anti-theft" type of technology so I bought my bags (knapsack and camera bag) based on their comfort and utility.