British Colonial Hilton - Nassau

KimEadler

How long does it take to get off the Carnival ship Sunshine to the British Colonial Hilton resort. If we have Cheers, would it be worth it to walk back to the ship to get drinks and lunch? I've read its just a short walk .... but how much time would it really take? We'll be there July 8!

How long does it take to get off the Carnival ship Sunshine to the British Colonial Hilton resort. If we have Cheers, would it be worth it to walk back to the ship to get drinks and lunch? I've read its just a short walk .... but how much time would it really take? We'll be there July 8!

Should take 10 to 15 minutes to walk there. You have to pay $60 peer person to hang out on that beach, but $45 of that is for a food/drink voucher. A waiter will come out to your palapa and take your order, and the prices are pretty reasonable. So I'd say it does not make sense to go back to the ship for lunch.

It's not far at all to walk. We did it without any troubles. It's been a couple of years, but they included free wifi in that price as well. I got to facetime my mom and she was thrilled.

I don't think it's worthwhile to walk back and forth. Thats my opinion.

Enjoy it, by far, it was the best thing we've ever done in Nassau!

It's so close to everything you can leave the property to visit the Pirate Museum, the Straw Market, Starbucks, whatever, in town and return. Great location right near the ships. We had 8 in our group and 4 stayed while 4 came and went- 4 of us did not buy passes, but did each lunch with the rest. This time of year, Junkanoo Beach, which is free, is just around the corner a bit more and might be an option if you just want a beach, a bathroom, and a few vendors. In colder weather, Junkanoo is pretty much shut-down, although still beautiful.

We do this every time we're in Nassau. 10 minute walk. Really good beach. WAY better than the public beach. They do try to push that Kalik beer, which is a nasty malt-liquor wannabe, but other than that it was a super awesome place in Nassau.

Thanks for the replies! If it's not worth going back to ship, do you think Melia is a better day pass resort? I really like the looks of that resort. Price is only $30, and Daiquiri Shack is right across the street? I just can't decide what to do in Nassau??!!

I have never been to Melia, but I can highly recommend the British Colonial Hilton. It's a classy place and 10 minutes from the ship. The food is good and reasonably priced, and after your food/drink voucher you really pay only $15 for a day pass. It's my top thing to do in Nassau. Just have a relaxing beach day.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I've heard the Melia is nice, but it's a taxi ride from the ship. The reason I like the Hilton is because you're still in the heart of things. After we had lunch and got tired of laying on the beach we walked to the Watlings Rum distillery (10 minutes) and the Graycliff cigar factory (10 minutes). But if it's a day full of beach activities you're looking for, then definitely head for any of the Cable Beach spots.

We walked to BCH with my 75 year old, not very mobile mother. It took us 15 minutes. Besides the beautiful beach, there was a wonderful pool. We paid $60 and had $40 food and drink credit. After drinking and eating and drinking and eating, we still each had about $5 credit left.

We'd definitely return next time we sail to Nassau.

Thanks for the replies! If it's not worth going back to ship, do you think Melia is a better day pass resort? I really like the looks of that resort. Price is only $30, and Daiquiri Shack is right across the street? I just can't decide what to do in Nassau??!!

Remember to take into account the cost of the taxi and the cost of food and drink at the Daiquiri Shack. The $30 might not be such a bargain anymore.

• 1 month later...

I think there was one kayak. There is a small roped off area for swimming and kayaking since it is in the harbor and they don't want you wandering out into boat/ship traffic. There is limited snorkel gear. Blue Hole Watersports operates their snorkel boats from a dock at this location if you want to buy an optional snorkel trip via boat out to some coral areas- 4 of us did this and loved it.

Buy day passes through Resort for a day British Colonial Hilton. You pay a deposit and must pay the balance via CC only, no cash, and have your email receipt for your deposit in hand when you arrive. Check if there are restricted hours since some ships stay later; I believe the passes are only good 10-4 or something like that.

We went to BCH 3 years ago off a cruise ship, got a day pass, had a lovely time. Small beach, small pool, not so many children- quiet, beautiful scenery etc. Before we left, the son of a friend of ours went into the hotel bathrooms to change into his clothes. A man approached him to sell pot and the dumb kid took out his wallet to pay the seller and the man took the wallet and ran. I was embarrassed as I had recommended BCH. He was just as embarrassed as we didnt find out until back on ship. We haven't been back since. But we plan on it in December. Just always watch your surroundings and don't do stupid stuff. :cool:

We went to the BCH. It was very nice...but it just did not seem like we were on an ocean beach.

Now in Freeport, we ended up on an all natural beach as part of a Kayaking excursion about half way across the island on the south side. That was our best beach excursion. Too bad we only had 45 minutes or so.

We went to BCH 3 years ago off a cruise ship, got a day pass, had a lovely time. Small beach, small pool, not so many children- quiet, beautiful scenery etc. Before we left, the son of a friend of ours went into the hotel bathrooms to change into his clothes. A man approached him to sell pot and the dumb kid took out his wallet to pay the seller and the man took the wallet and ran. I was embarrassed as I had recommended BCH. He was just as embarrassed as we didnt find out until back on ship. We haven't been back since. But we plan on it in December. Just always watch your surroundings and don't do stupid stuff. :cool:

I'd be embarrassed, too, if someone in my party was dumb enough to attempt to buy drugs in a foreign country, especially at a port known for having many incidences of this. He got what he deserved (and I'm not even anti pot, just anti stupid).