Valparaiso to Buenos Aires including Antarctica Dec 20th Trip Report

sinigord

We were on the Seabourn Quest over the Christmas/New Years' holidays cruising Antarctica and South Georgia Island. On Dec. 30 we were enjoying a "champagne and caviar on ice party" on deck after leaving Torgerson Island and viewing the Palmer Research Station. Suddenly we heard the horn blow and when checking over the railing, I saw the Zaandam passing by in the channel. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and spirits were high. I thought you'd like a photo of us looking at you as you were looking at us! Enjoy!

enhance

Thanks for sharing your trip and the photo of us (Zaandam) as well.

Wonderful review and pictures! You were so lucky with the weather and saw so much. We will be on Zaandam in March, going in the opposite direction (I wonder which ear we will be able to wear our hoop in!) but we will not include Antarctic waters, as we are heading for Vancouver. But we did an expedition a few years ago, and were able to make one Antarctic landing. (We were supposed to have three, but there was too much ice for our ship, although it had an ice-strengthened hull.) Do you remember who your Captain was? I imagine that a lot of where you go depends on the Captain...

Wonderful review and pictures! You were so lucky with the weather and saw so much. We will be on Zaandam in March, going in the opposite direction (I wonder which ear we will be able to wear our hoop in!) but we will not include Antarctic waters, as we are heading for Vancouver. But we did an expedition a few years ago, and were able to make one Antarctic landing. (We were supposed to have three, but there was too much ice for our ship, although it had an ice-strengthened hull.) Do you remember who your Captain was? I imagine that a lot of where you go depends on the Captain...

Captain PJ. That's how he introduces himself daily - very personable. There's a general itinerary of places to try to get to, but those decisions are made with the Ice Pilot, Captain and the Antarctic Expedition Team (most retired from the National Science Foundation and worked extensively in Antarctica their whole career). They worked from the bridge while in Antarctica and collaborated on the itinerary. We saw most of the places indicated but the actual map of our routing was much different that the original. It was a second time for us, even better weather this time. If you can do SA around the Cape, GO to Antarctica.

We were on the Seabourn Quest over the Christmas/New Years' holidays cruising Antarctica and South Georgia Island. On Dec. 30 we were enjoying a "champagne and caviar on ice party" on deck after leaving Torgerson Island and viewing the Palmer Research Station. Suddenly we heard the horn blow and when checking over the railing, I saw the Zaandam passing by in the channel. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and spirits were high. I thought you'd like a photo of us looking at you as you were looking at us! Enjoy!

Hi Sandi,

Thank you very much for posting the picture of our ship. Is it possible to find exact time when the photo was taken? I tried to find it among my thousands pictures, but unfortunately failed so far. I think we were on east and south part of Anvers Island on Dec 30, and west and south (including Lemaire channel) on Dec 31. Thanks, Boris

You're welcome everyone. I'm glad to post the beautiful photo taken that day of the Zaandam in Antarctic waters.

Now, does anyone here have a photo of the Quest taken from the Zaandam, that they could post here for me? We would love to see it!

I have finally found your ship in my collection. We met at least twice:

1. Dec 30th 6:30pm between Anvers Island and Wiencke Island (GMap: https://www.google.com/maps?q=-64.775525,+-63.410830 )

i-WKhH4Td-X2.jpg

and

i-dMmqsgv-X2.jpg

2. Dec 31th 4:10pm Paradise Bay (GMap: https://www.google.com/maps?q=-64.862478,+-62.928605)

i-CQ7mh7W-X2.jpg

I think it is your ship.

Please click to enlarge. Enjoy!

Boris

Edited by Kirrus

Boris, the photo I posted was taken Dec. 30 at 6:27 pm. I tried very hard to keep the correct time on my camera this cruise. But I see you found us in your collection of photos. Yes, that is us in Paradise Bay on Dec. 31. We were visiting the Chilean base called Gonzalez Videla Base on the Antarctic mainland's Waterboat Point in Paradise Bay. But I believe we saw you sailing past on Sunday, Jan. 1, the day we visited Half Moon Island. It is in the same vicinity as Yankee Harbor where the Palmer Research Station is located. We had visited Yankee Harbor on Dec. 28 and were back again, across the water at Half Moon Island Jan. 1. I'm not sure what time we saw you on Jan. 1 but we actually saw two ships in the vicinity that day, the Zaandam and what appeared to be a supply ship for Palmer Research Station.

I am delighted to have your photos of the Quest as I may have to include one in my upcoming photo book. Feel free to use mine as well.

I am delighted to have your photos of the Quest as I may have to include one in my upcoming photo book. Feel free to use mine as well.

You can download full sized images from the website and crop or edit any way you like. Hope it will be useful for you.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for providing the link to your wonderful trip report. Your pictures and videos were fabulous! I've always wanted to do that cruise, now it's pretty well at the top of my 'next' cruise list! I very much appreciate it.

Thank you so much for providing the link to your wonderful trip report. Your pictures and videos were fabulous! I've always wanted to do that cruise, now it's pretty well at the top of my 'next' cruise list! I very much appreciate it.

We felt it was important to document as we went along as there's so much happening in three weeks, you may forget stuff if you wait a few days. We had been looking at doing this cruise for a few years, managed to make it work alongside my 50th Birthday which was cool.

You're welcome everyone. I'm glad to post the beautiful photo taken that day of the Zaandam in Antarctic waters.

Now, does anyone here have a photo of the Quest taken from the Zaandam, that they could post here for me? We would love to see it!

Hello St Louis Cruisers (not from St Louis)

Many thanks for the beautiful photo of the Zaandam as we passed by each other. We matched your champagne and caviar with egg and chips from the cafe. We can't match the quality of either your photo or the ones Boris has posted, but we do have one which shows your ship's name, Seabourne Quest. It sounds as though we all, on both ships, had an absolutely fabulous time - we certainly did. We may do something different (i.e. not a cruise) for our next holiday, just for the variety, but we will be back on a cruise ship again before long. Now all we have to do is find out how to post a photo to this site - not done it before ;-)

Oh no! I can't do it... when I go to 'Insert image' it wants a "URL" for my photo, whatever that is....a website, I think. The photo is just a 'jpeg' on my laptop, it doesn't have its own website. How can a photo have its own website, for goodness' sake?

Sorry St Louis, but it's beyond me. :-(

Further to my previous post to StLouisCruisers about a photo of the Seabourne Quest.... I have struggled and fought this wretched system for two hours and seem to have found something called a "Valid file extension" (why it can't be called a photo I have no idea), and I THINK I have managed to attach it. Whether it will appear in the thread, or disappear off to Mars, or drop off the edge of the world, I have no idea. If this fails then I give up. There is more to life than trying to understand computer gibberish.

268113890_P1020700_SeabournQuest301216-Compressed.jpg.4a0df87b5f9d35044fbb99af9e4a97a1.jpg

Hi, Am I the only one who cannot open your report? The page shows: "404 Error File Not Found

The page you are looking for might have been removed,

had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

I checked this morning and it does seem to be working, there are 2 different sets of pages, 1 very long page and 3 by week pages.

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip.html

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip1.html

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip8.html

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip15.html

Edited by sinigord

I checked this morning and it does seem to be working, there are 2 different sets of pages, 1 very long page and 3 by week pages.

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip.html

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip1.html

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip8.html

http://www.kewlplace.com/saa/trip15.html

I tried from another place (and another browser), and it worked. Thanks a lot for your report, it is great. Your pictures are beautiful!