Just off Sunshine- Problem/Resolution

Twinswithtwins

Quick mini review. No photos, no food pictures (do you really care what I ate?). Got on very early- 11:15ish (my 1st Platinum- the VIP Lounge was really nice). Had booked at last minute (for me, anyway- about 2 1/2 weeks out) Inside Guarantee. Very good price for a summer cruise. We were assigned Lido 9137- handicapped/modified. Only Riviera and Main insides were showing online when I booked (because they hold back the Handicapped cabins). Happy, happy we were assigned to Lido- Dropped our carry-ons off and our wine (no fridge). Went in search of lunch- Came back to the cabin at 1 pm. Heard banging noises- kind of like rolling thunder. Then every minute or so a loud thud like fireworks- if you were inside your house. Figured out we were directly under the 'weight' room in the gym on Deck 10. But- it WAS a guarantee, AND it was on LIDO, AND the Funtimes said the gym closed at 10pm. NO problem. Until- it DIDN'T stop- until 1:30AM. Then started right up again at 6AM. Very little sleep (I wear earplugs AND brought a fan, as usual).

Decided I would NOT say anything- it was a Guarantee, right? You get what you get... But I happened to be passing Guest Services after lunch the next day and stopped by to see if there was anything they could do- I was thinking a sign posted 'Do not drop weights- cabins are below..'. Really- that's all I wanted. Liza at Guest Services asked me to call her when it was going on- I told her it was constant- going on now. So she offered to come upstairs to hear it. Great! We were halfway down the hallway and she said 'Oh- are you in 9137?' Yup. She said 'then it is the weight room'. She came into the cabin- heard the noises. She said after 10PM the crew uses the gym- that is why it didn't stop at 10PM. Said she would ask her supervisor what to do.

A few hours later, there was a message on the phone that they would like to move our cabin. To 9107- one of the new 6J Scenic Ocean View cabins facing the front, added after refurbishment. Entire front wall was a floor-to-ceiling window.

Two people from Guest Services personally delivered new keys with apologies about the noise. Offered to send someone up to help gather our things and move a few cabins forward. SO nice. The cruise had been SOLD OUT for about a week before we left. The new cabin had Welcome letters for a couple and their 2 children. Must have missed the boat- hope all is well for the Browns.

Loved HMC- my favorite port in the world (would spend a week there if I could). Hated Nassau. Freeport, not one of my favorites. Didn't plan any excursions-on purpose. Knew it was going to be over 100* in the Bahamas. When it is SO hot I don't want to do anything. Just visited the Port Village and enjoyed the less busy ship- though LOTS of people stayed on in Nassau/Freeport. Comedy shows very good- one better than the other. JiJi's fabulous.

Great cruise- it would have been great- even with the 'thunder' above. Wondered if, maybe, there was a high school weightlifting group onboard? Or a Bodybuilders group cruise? Could SO many people really want to use the weights for 20 hours a day? Noise was just about constant...

Just wanted to give a 'head's up' about booking Sunshine Cabin 9137. Also a reminder to check cabin reviews of all cabins in your area- not just the one chosen. And a BIG shout-out to Carnival Guest Services.

I am glad it worked out for you. Overhead noise is for me a huge annoyance, especially when it never ends. I was once (not Carnival, but another cruiseline), in a cabin under the jogging deck. It went on all day, Pow pow pow!!!! Slamming footsteps over our heads, and thankfully we were not in the room very much by day, and the jogging track was closed after dark, so it was quiet at night. Glad you asked, and glad they had a solution.

Thanks for the review, glad you had a great time. Was the sunshine really crowded? I keep reading reviews about the huge crowds and bottlenecks in some areas. Also how its almost impossible to get a deck chair unless youre up with the sun! We've never cruised before apart from our honeymoon in 1996 and this ship out of Norfolk is on the top of our list for many reasons.

Thanks for the review, glad you had a great time. Was the sunshine really crowded? I keep reading reviews about the huge crowds and bottlenecks in some areas. Also how its almost impossible to get a deck chair unless youre up with the sun! We've never cruised before apart from our honeymoon in 1996 and this ship out of Norfolk is on the top of our list for many reasons.

Didn't notice much overcrowding. It WAS a summer cruise at max capacity so I expected some crowding. My go-to place is on Deck 3 outside of Guest Services and the Excursion Desk. Quiet and shaded by the lifeboats.

Did notice that most people do not realize that there is MUCH more seating in the Havana Bar area. They really should have a crew member directing people (carrying full plates from the Buffet) back to that area. We saw people just standing 'waiting' for a table to open up near the Buffet. Havana also has a nice light breakfast with more of a Cuban flair. Worth checking out. Really liked the Taste Bar breakfast, too. Skip the hordes above on Lido...

Only bottleneck we encountered was before 2 (of 4) of the comedy shows. The PG show- walk right in (but go early). The 1st Adult show(of 3- all the same each night- each show has a title now so you can tell if it is a repeat)- the doors are open. But for the 2 later Adult shows there is a line outside and the club doors are closed. We found that if you were 'waiting' in line in the hallway that passes the steakhouse and Sushi place (long hallway) you would get in to get a seat. May not be front-row- but a seat. Line up about 30 min ahead.

Didn't notice much overcrowding. It WAS a summer cruise at max capacity so I expected some crowding. My go-to place is on Deck 3 outside of Guest Services and the Excursion Desk. Quiet and shaded by the lifeboats.

Did notice that most people do not realize that there is MUCH more seating in the Havana Bar area. They really should have a crew member directing people (carrying full plates from the Buffet) back to that area. We saw people just standing 'waiting' for a table to open up near the Buffet. Havana also has a nice light breakfast with more of a Cuban flair. Worth checking out. Really liked the Taste Bar breakfast, too. Skip the hordes above on Lido...

Only bottleneck we encountered was before 2 (of 4) of the comedy shows. The PG show- walk right in (but go early). The 1st Adult show(of 3- all the same each night- each show has a title now so you can tell if it is a repeat)- the doors are open. But for the 2 later Adult shows there is a line outside and the club doors are closed. We found that if you were 'waiting' in line in the hallway that passes the steakhouse and Sushi place (long hallway) you would get in to get a seat. May not be front-row- but a seat. Line up about 30 min ahead.

Sunshine is known to have a too small comedy club venue.

I agree its all about doing your research and planning and knowing ahead of time what to expect. We are also doing a summer cruise so I expect crowds no matter what ship we choose, but we've been to Disney in summer so I'm sure we can handle it!;)

Glad Carnival was able to move you to such a nice cabin.

But- it WAS a guarantee,

Seems like you went into with an open mind, since you get what you get. :) And kudos for not coming back here and just complaining away anyway... :p:D

I'm glad they were able to resolve the problem. But why are they doing something about it preventively?? Obviously this wasn't the first cruise for the first time it's ever happened. Unless you have a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, that room is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I'm glad they were able to resolve the problem. But why are they doing something about it preventively?? Obviously this wasn't the first cruise for the first time it's ever happened. Unless you have a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, that room is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure every ship has their (trouble) rooms..i agree with you , they are not fixing the problems and keep selling these rooms hoping no one will complain...

I am like you twinswithtwins, I appreciate the little things in life, but when something like that ruins your vacation, is a different matter...needs to get resolved...glad everything worked out for you

Quick mini review. No photos, no food pictures (do you really care what I ate?). Got on very early- 11:15ish (my 1st Platinum- the VIP Lounge was really nice). Had booked at last minute (for me, anyway- about 2 1/2 weeks out) Inside Guarantee. Very good price for a summer cruise. We were assigned Lido 9137- handicapped/modified. Only Riviera and Main insides were showing online when I booked (because they hold back the Handicapped cabins). Happy, happy we were assigned to Lido- Dropped our carry-ons off and our wine (no fridge). Went in search of lunch- Came back to the cabin at 1 pm. Heard banging noises- kind of like rolling thunder. Then every minute or so a loud thud like fireworks- if you were inside your house. Figured out we were directly under the 'weight' room in the gym on Deck 10. But- it WAS a guarantee, AND it was on LIDO, AND the Funtimes said the gym closed at 10pm. NO problem. Until- it DIDN'T stop- until 1:30AM. Then started right up again at 6AM. Very little sleep (I wear earplugs AND brought a fan, as usual).

Decided I would NOT say anything- it was a Guarantee, right? You get what you get... But I happened to be passing Guest Services after lunch the next day and stopped by to see if there was anything they could do- I was thinking a sign posted 'Do not drop weights- cabins are below..'. Really- that's all I wanted. Liza at Guest Services asked me to call her when it was going on- I told her it was constant- going on now. So she offered to come upstairs to hear it. Great! We were halfway down the hallway and she said 'Oh- are you in 9137?' Yup. She said 'then it is the weight room'. She came into the cabin- heard the noises. She said after 10PM the crew uses the gym- that is why it didn't stop at 10PM. Said she would ask her supervisor what to do.

A few hours later, there was a message on the phone that they would like to move our cabin. To 9107- one of the new 6J Scenic Ocean View cabins facing the front, added after refurbishment. Entire front wall was a floor-to-ceiling window.

Two people from Guest Services personally delivered new keys with apologies about the noise. Offered to send someone up to help gather our things and move a few cabins forward. SO nice. The cruise had been SOLD OUT for about a week before we left. The new cabin had Welcome letters for a couple and their 2 children. Must have missed the boat- hope all is well for the Browns.

Loved HMC- my favorite port in the world (would spend a week there if I could). Hated Nassau. Freeport, not one of my favorites. Didn't plan any excursions-on purpose. Knew it was going to be over 100* in the Bahamas. When it is SO hot I don't want to do anything. Just visited the Port Village and enjoyed the less busy ship- though LOTS of people stayed on in Nassau/Freeport. Comedy shows very good- one better than the other. JiJi's fabulous.

Great cruise- it would have been great- even with the 'thunder' above. Wondered if, maybe, there was a high school weightlifting group onboard? Or a Bodybuilders group cruise? Could SO many people really want to use the weights for 20 hours a day? Noise was just about constant...

Just wanted to give a 'head's up' about booking Sunshine Cabin 9137. Also a reminder to check cabin reviews of all cabins in your area- not just the one chosen. And a BIG shout-out to Carnival Guest Services.

And this is why I stick with Carnival. Their Guest Service agents are tops. Glad they were able to move you.

Always nice to hear a story wear someone approaches a problem calmly and realistically, and gets rewarded with a good resolution.

Good for the Guest service people as well, that they offered you the other cabin.

I do think you should consider starting a thread asking for theories on what happened to the Browns.

This is why I won't book a guarantee - because I know I'll be the person put in The Worst/Noisiest Cabin on the ship. And it will be full and there will be no option to move.

Please, stop telling people to go to the Havana Bar! This is where I plan to have my meals and I don't want it to become just another over-crowded place on the ship. At least not until after I sail her. :p

Looking forward to seeing the ship. Only have two sea days and 8 ports, so won't have a whole lot of time, but hope to find somewhere semi-serene on the Serenity Deck, at least in the early mornings.

I also like the exterior promenade decks when I want a little out-of-the-sun quiet to sit and read.

As for preventing the noise, what are they supposed to do? Take all the cabins under the gym out of service? They aren't going to do that. Not allow the crew to use the gym? Given their crammed living conditions down on the crew decks, that wouldn't be fair to them. And doubtful that any amount of soundproofing would help. Some people can sleep through anything/wear earplugs, so there are probably plenty of people who wouldn't be bothered. I would which, again, is why I don't book guarantees.