Azura. fighter jet flypast

sunnyhat

Hi we were on the same cruise, we were sat outside the buffet right next to the outer windows to the side of Aqua bar, the bridge made an announcement just before stating they had been informed by the French navy that they were performing training exercises in the area & we may see them fly by. A few seconds later the jet flew by the window with a huge roar very close to the ship, incredible noise and speed!

As you were in your cabin you wouldn't have heard the bridge info.

Hope you had as good a holiday as we did, fantastic cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the prom deck and saw it coming in very low, it pulled up and went over our bow. It was not a fighter jet, but if it was from the French Navy it could have been a radar/communication style of plane. To me it just looked like a biz jet being stupid and buzzing us. I know the captain said it was the French navy and that words will be had with them.

There was no possible reason for the aircraft to buzz us, in fact considering the date, it was plain stupidity.

I was on the prom deck and saw it coming in very low, it pulled up and went over our bow. It was not a fighter jet, but if it was from the French Navy it could have been a radar/communication style of plane. To me it just looked like a biz jet being stupid and buzzing us. I know the captain said it was the French navy and that words will be had with them.

There was no possible reason for the aircraft to buzz us, in fact considering the date, it was plain stupidity.

The same thing happened to us on our cruise on Britannia in May, so clearly not a one off by the French Navy!

The French use the Bay as a training area for military aircraft, but that is no excuse for buzzing cruise ships in international waters.

The aircraft that buzzed the Azura was defiantly not a fighter or bomber aircraft. It looked like a biz jet. The fact it did not have camouflage paintwork would suggest that if it was a French navy aircraft it may have been testing some new electronic gizmo and was using Azura as a "target".

The aircraft I saw from Azura would have hit her if it failed to pull up. That's not far fetched. Men and machines are not infallible. At sea, birds follow ships, so it's not far fetched that a bird strike could cause the aircraft to mal-function.

The French have no right to put a cruise ship in danger by just wanting to look at her.

Edited by tokyo

The aircraft I saw from Azura would have hit her if it failed to pull up. That's not far fetched. Men and machines are not infallible. At sea, birds follow ships, so it's not far fetched that a bird strike could cause the aircraft to mal-function.

The French have no right to put a cruise ship in danger by just wanting to look at her.

A fighter even slowly cruising at 400 mph would be way beyond the ship if it suffered a bird strike by the time the pilot had to take evasive action. The pilot would only be allowed to fly past along the side of a ship. Direct fly overs are not permitted for safety reasons below a minimum height.

There's more chance of a submarine surfacing underneath a cruise ship than an military aircraft hitting one!

The one that buzzed Azura passed over the ship and could not have been more than 50 mtrs above her.

Also the aircraft approached Auzara at low altitude and some distance from her. The point about bird strikes was that it could well happen before it reached the ship giving the pilot little time to take any action.