DIY shore excursions Summit Southern Caribbean

PeterGavin

I have returned from a 7 day cruise on Summit and did not feel it necessary to use Ship Excursions. Here are the ports and some local options [where local drivers offer their service, they like to fill their vehicle and maximise income, so spend time trying to encourage more to join their vehicle].

Please add further ports or comments

Tortola, British Virgin Islands

3 hour tours by open sided taxi - $15US to go up the steep peaks, view the island and neighbour islands, descend to Cane Garden Beach for about 30 minute stopover. Our guide was Roy, very knowledgable. Many open sided taxis compete for business.

Fort de France, Martinique

Official Taxis attempt to sell tours – will only take individuals, not multiple parties to fill a vehicle. No negotiation and comparatively expensive [$40US per person, for two people, for 3 hours to cross the island]. English was not strong on the discussion, so felt that as a tour guide would not be able to inform well about the sightseeing. Good to wander the town centre – headless Josephine statue, library building brought from Paris World Expo, Cathedral church, local markets. Most people felt that local eating did not appear suitable, and ship was deluged with returnees for lunch.

Roseau, Dominica

Official taxis and mini buses at end of pier, however, walk 50 yards to barriers and multiple local vans/mini buses for hire - $20 for over 2 hours – up to city viewpoint, walk through tropical botanical gardens [with driver stopping, showing plants, then driving on for us to catch up], followed by driving into the centre of the island to Trafalgar Falls [entry fee $5US]. About a ten minute walk to Father and Mother Falls, using steps and some formed surfaces and a few rough patches. Great viewing. Return to ship, the port area is local shopping.

Basseterre, St Kitts

At the end of the pier, the tourist office directs to a seating area on the right where local drivers offer 3 hour round the island tours for $20US, with stops at old Mill, Romney House [batik], Black Rock, then back into the port area, and may also cross to the newer developments with resorts and hotels, and upmarket estates.

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands

This was the most difficult port to get appreciative service - most were offhand and had a "take it or leave it" style. The Celebrity ships arrive at the Havensight port area. A local tour for 2 hours is $25US. The trip across to Magens Bay/Beach is $8/person each way plus a $4 beach entry fee [ship excursion was $35, and probably less frustrating.

Basseterre, St Kitts

At the end of the pier, the tourist office directs to a seating area on the right where local drivers offer 3 hour round the island tours for $20US, with stops at old Mill, Romney House [batik], Black Rock, then back into the port area, and may also cross to the newer developments with resorts and hotels, and upmarket estates.

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands

This was the most difficult port to get appreciative service - most were offhand and had a "take it or leave it" style. The Celebrity ships arrive at the Havensight port area...

I would say "usually arrive at havensight". A couple cruises ago, we docked at the other dock on completely opposite side of bay. And tendering is also possible.

Was st Kitts $20per person or per couple? And if it was per person , do they do tours with just one couple?

I would say "usually arrive at havensight".

THANKS !!

Was st Kitts $20per person or per couple? And if it was per person , do they do tours with just one couple?

St Kitts was $20 per person - there was a constant stream off the ship and it seems like a fill and go situation - best to be there by 9am with the heaviest flow of potential travelers, after 10am it slows down a bit and they are reluctant to go until they fill their vehicle.

St Kitts was $20 per person - there was a constant stream off the ship and it seems like a fill and go situation - best to be there by 9am with the heaviest flow of potential travelers, after 10am it slows down a bit and they are reluctant to go until they fill their vehicle.

Thanks. We are there on xmas cruise...as of. Ow we are renting car and just going to meander around island. I like to have options.

I would suggest going from St. Thomas over to St. John -- either by the ship excursion or DIY [google for instructions].

Can you explain why you think that's a better day trip?

My mom and I are taking our first cruise aboard the Summit next April. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sonja