Free walking tours in Copenhagen

We are thinking of taking a free walking tour of Copenhagen in the afternoon on Saturday July 16. We came across 2 tour companies, Sandeman's and Freetours.com. Has anyone ever taken any tours from either of these companies? How much would you tip even though its free. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sparky110

We did the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour (Grand Tour) last summer and it was one of the highlights of our Baltic cruise. Our guide Magnus was brilliant--amusing and informative. I highly recommend it.

We supplemented that tour later by doing the self-guided tour from the Rick Steves book. Each tour covered different areas and topics, so there was little duplication.

A similar guided walking tour for tourists in Washington, DC (which is near where I live) would cost at least $20-$25. But the Free Walking Tour guides are serious when they say that you only pay what you think the tour was worth (or even what you can afford to pay if you are among the young backpackers who take these tours.) There is absolutely no pressure for tips by the guide.

We did a free Sandemans tour in Berlin last November and were very pleased with it. So much so that we booked a trip to Potsdam with them and were not disappointed.

I cannot understand why Americans rely on the Rick Steves guy. He gives so much incorrect and out of date information on European cities.

We are thinking of taking a free walking tour of Copenhagen in the afternoon on Saturday July 16. We came across 2 tour companies, Sandeman's and Freetours.com. Has anyone ever taken any tours from either of these companies? How much would you tip even though its free. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

We did the walking tour of Copenhagen, I think it was the Freetours one. It was excellent. Yes, I gave a nice tip. The guide was a University student and did well. I think I gave him equivalent of $30 for two persons.

Looking at the tours available..how long were your tours? Copenhagen Free Walking Tours offers two lengths...a 90 minute tour and a 3 hour. If anyone has done the 3 hour, did it seem to drag on? Was the 90 min too short?

We did the 3-hour tour and it definitely did not drag on. We visited a lot of sites and the guide was full of interesting stories and information about life in Denmark. About halfway through the tour, we were in Nyhavn and we had about a 30 minute break--much needed and appreciated--for the bathrooms, to buy something for lunch and to sit down for awhile. (Get one of the Danish hot dogs from the kiosks.) So the walking portion is more like 2.5 hours.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our Baltic cruise and we did the free Sandemans tour in Copenhagen -leaving the City Hall Square at 2 pm. The tour lasted about 2 hours and was an excellent introduction to the city. We would have no hesitation in doing another tour with them.

We just returned from our Baltic cruise and we did the free Sandemans tour in Copenhagen -leaving the City Hall Square at 2 pm. The tour lasted about 2 hours and was an excellent introduction to the city. We would have no hesitation in doing another tour with them.

Where does the Sandemans Free Tour end?

We used Sandemans in Dublin and had a great experience. Plan to use them in Copenhagen next month.

We did the freetours 3 hour tour. It did not seem that long, and had a few bathroom/food breaks. It was definitely worth it as we felt confident navigating the city after that. It covered what felt like a huge area. It ended at a park at the opposite end of the city from where we started. The walk back to the town hall was only 20 minutes. If we'd had time, I would have gone back for the Christiana tour.

We tipped maybe $10/person. Our guide was a mid-late 20 year old, who favored corny and occasional lewd jokes. My teens thought he was hilarious, my parents were a bit dubious, and my 9yo was simply clueless.

The Sandemans walking tour that we took ended near the Amalienborg Palace at Frederiks Kircke. From there it was an easy walk back through the Nyhavn area to the Stroeget and our hotel (Scandic Copenhagen).

The Sandemans walking tour that we took ended near the Amalienborg Palace at Frederiks Kircke. From there it was an easy walk back through the Nyhavn area to the Stroeget and our hotel (Scandic Copenhagen).

We're going to be staying at the Scandic Copenhagen through Princess. Can you give any kind of review/advice about the hotel/location/how you got around/meals there and nearby, etc.? Thanks!

The hotel is well located - it's easy to find your way around from there. Princess has reps at the hotel during the day who will assist you with directions if needed. We liked the hotel - the room wasn't fancy but we found it comfortable. The included breakfast was excellent.

It's about 10 minutes to Tivoli Gardens and maybe 15 minutes to the Stroeget. Lots of cafes and restaurants nearby.

The hotel is well located - it's easy to find your way around from there. Princess has reps at the hotel during the day who will assist you with directions if needed. We liked the hotel - the room wasn't fancy but we found it comfortable. The included breakfast was excellent.

It's about 10 minutes to Tivoli Gardens and maybe 15 minutes to the Stroeget. Lots of cafes and restaurants nearby.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm glad that you were content with the hotel.