Corinto

baja mama

We've just returned from a wonderful 16-night Panama Canal cruise on the NCL Jewel. Corinto was one of two ports (the other being Puerto Chiapas, Mexico) that really could have been skipped. You dock in a commercial port, in a very impoverished area. Nothing I'd be walking off the ship to see. I took a ship's tour to León to visit the Cathedral, which was interesting, but it was all too rushed. Some folks on our Roll Call enjoyed their day with Julio Tours.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Corinto several times and indeed there is not much to see. A trip to Leon is somewhat interesting and eye-opening. Climbing up to the roof of the cathedral is interesting. If you stay in town, there are many vendors offering tours on their pedicabs. It's not a long tour since it is a small town but something to do. Not sure why the cruise lines stop here or in Puerto Chiapas.

We have been to Corinto several times and indeed there is not much to see. A trip to Leon is somewhat interesting and eye-opening. Climbing up to the roof of the cathedral is interesting. If you stay in town, there are many vendors offering tours on their pedicabs. It's not a long tour since it is a small town but something to do. Not sure why the cruise lines stop here or in Puerto Chiapas.

Our recent 16-night Panama Canal cruise had port calls in both Corinto and Puerto Chiapas; I could not agree with you more. Puerto Chiapas was a waste of a day. We had a very port-intensive schedule after the Canal, and Puerto Chiapas really should have been skipped. Probably Corinto too, but at least I got to visit the roof of the Cathedral in Leon.

If it's helpful to anyone, my review of our cruise (with lots of photos, including of the Leon Cathedral roof)) is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

We will be there in April (Easter Sunday). Who knows what will be open as it looks like the town will be pretty much closed up. I know this is a poor town and not geared to tourists, but I would really like to see an authentic Nicaraguan town.

We did consider going to Leon, but we will be going to Antigua Guatemala the next day, so I think one long bus ride is probably enough ....specially if everything is closed in Leon.

I have been following Jeff and Bill and Mary Ann on their world cruise, and they have stopped in Corinto a number of times and usually just wander around town and take fantastic photos of the locals. I think that is a fascinating day in itself.

Here are a couple of links from their blogs. For more Contino photos just do a search on each of the blogs (upper left corner or blog), ....they have been to Corinto numerous times over the years.

http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.ca/search?q=corinto&updated-max=2017-01-12T18:35:00-05:00&max-results=20&start=2&by-date=false

http://cruisingwithbillandmaryann.blogspot.ca/search?q=corinto&updated-max=2014-05-06T08:20:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=2&by-date=false