What are the problems with Oriana?

Jollysailor93

We were also on the same cruise and didnt look through rose coloured specs having public toilets constantly out of order throughout the ships, buckets catching water coming through ceiling while drinking coffee in Tiffany's, industrial drier in photo gallery for days trying to dry out carpet after a water leak and a serious water leak on A deck warranting walls and carpet being ciovered in plastic tp prevent damage. Also water in tap in cabin not fit for human consumption and mucky yellow water from shower for whole cruise and inconsistent flushing of toilet which in its own right is unhealthy. Will never set foot on Oriana again whatever the price or itinerary.

Summary is exactly like our experience, - will never set foot on her again. got off her last week from the northern lights/solar eclipse cruise. 5th cruise, so not new, but worse ever. Cabin (suite) was not fit/satisfactory quality. The balcony door did not lock, leaked, and whistled in the wind, as well as rattled. Repeatedly reported all the way to the top, but nothing was done with any effectiveness, still leaked, damaging goods, and a nice fresh cold wind through the gaps... Attitude of some staff stunk "well it is a 20 year old ship". - Then price it accordingly if yours not going to maintain it, a colossal waste of money.

There was a running joke about the public toilets not working causing queues.

The previous cruise on the Northern Lights that we were on had a urinal in one of the men's public toilets (same deck as Lords Tavern) with an "out of order" notice that had been taped onto a clear plastic bag which was then taped over the urinal and onto the wall on the second day of our cruise, 18th March. When we disembarked the ship on 1st April it was still in the same condition.

Edited by MS75

I was also on the shortened 4 (3) day cruise. I think that this also explains why there was no nibbles with the drinks and no drinks menus available. Sorry but I do not expect to enter a ship with these ilness problems apparent. Sorry but not in future a cruise line for me whatever the compensation we were offered.

• 3 months later...

We just got off her last Sunday.

I enjoyed the trip and I liked the cabin, outside E157, it was next to an exit/entry and was used once at Bruges. There was a bit of noise early on as they were getting ready for people to disembark but apart from that and minor vibration on the first night, it was ok. I'd book it again.

When we had rough seas on saturday the cabin loo wasnt flushing, my poor dd was sea sick but couldnt flush the loo eeewww, however it wasnt out of action for long. Some of the public loos were out of action too, there were quite a few passengers suffering from the motion that day.

I liked the ship as it wasnt too big and was easy to get about.

Enjoyed my breakfast at Alfresco's, I got up early to see the ship through the canal at Amsterdam, glad I did.

Liked the beach house, we had a late meal in there and all of us enjoyed that.

Shame about the problems with her, maybe the refit will solve all those.

Mag

Hi, we were on Oriana for the first time last year and everything was fine. I remember feeling a little disappointed by her but only because I thought she would be grander somehow. On the subject of hand washing, it never ceases to amaze me the ignorant people who walk past the sanitizer and washing facilities declaring "I've just washed my hands" this may well be the case but if they used door handles, stair rails etc. others who touched these before them may not have washed their hands - it is therefore totally irresponsible to walk into a buffet and start using shared utensils without using the hand sanitizer as a precaution.

Edited by Florry

When we start a cruise the first thing we do after gaining access to our cabin is to give it a good clean with our own sanitizer. It only takes 30 mins, but better safe than sorry.

We have noticed that over the years more and more people are avoiding the sanitizer when entering the buffet and MDR. It's little wonder that a bug can spread around a ship.

Apparently she has yet another outbreak of norovirus on board. It's not the first time and you can bet it won't be the last!!!:eek:

NV - it is the passengers that are at fault for not being hygenic. The number of times you see people not washing their hands when they have been to the toilets is unbelievable

Nothing wrong with the ship at all

Edited by silver surfer 2010

We were on Oriana about 10 days ago, a 'shortie' to Zeebrugge and Amsterdam.

I thought the ship was looking very good, wouldn't have realised how old she was. There had obviously been a problem in the Pacific Theatre (I think that's what it was called!) as they were running the de-humidifier during muster drill. Some of the furniture in the Lords Tavern was way past its best and should have been taken out of use, IMO.

Other than that, we had no problems. There was no lack of water in the cabin (B deck) and I didn't notice any public toilets out of action. Thankfully, there was no sign of noro either!

I thought the food seemed a bit dull this time but it was all properly cooked and hot enough (we used the buffet only on embarkation and for 1 breakfast).

I did feel that the stewards were all less obliging than I am used to but I wonder if this is down to it being a 'shortie'?

• 5 months later...

Also we are planning a cruise on her next year I shall be 23 and my sister 19, will we fit in or is the age profile of the ship more than double our own?

No, you probably won't, but you won't really on most P&O ships IME. It depends if you mind. My daughter (21) doesn't mind but she does complain the quizzes are all about 70s-80s stuff :)