What to pack for Panama Canal Cruise?

saleeb

This site has been invaluable to us in our cruise planning. Thank you all.

I have a few more questions.

I thought I saw a sticky a while back on packing tips but I can't seem to find it. The cruise is 14 days long and I plan on doing laundry twice because I like to travel as light as possible with our 5 kiddos.

My questions are:

1- How many formal nights should I expect? Do people re-wear formal wear or do I need lots of dresses? I only have 2.

2- Are young kids expected to dress up, as well? Ages 3,5,7,9, and 16 (will wear slacks but not sure how willing he is to look very formal).

3- Can I make sure that my 16 year old isn't able to accidentally charge things to his key to the world card? I am most worried about his addiction to soda. Even though there are places to get the soda for free, I don't want to depend on his following the rules. lol

Thank you,

This site has been invaluable to us in our cruise planning. Thank you all.

I have a few more questions.

I thought I saw a sticky a while back on packing tips but I can't seem to find it. The cruise is 14 days long and I plan on doing laundry twice because I like to travel as light as possible with our 5 kiddos.

My questions are:

1- How many formal nights should I expect? Do people re-wear formal wear or do I need lots of dresses? I only have 2.

2- Are young kids expected to dress up, as well? Ages 3,5,7,9, and 16 (will wear slacks but not sure how willing he is to look very formal).

3- Can I make sure that my 16 year old isn't able to accidentally charge things to his key to the world card? I am most worried about his addiction to soda. Even though there are places to get the soda for free, I don't want to depend on his following the rules. lol

Thank you,

1-Typically there are 3 formal/semi-formal nights. I usually take one cocktail dress that I wear different accessories with. Some cruises I've worn dress black slacks with different sparkly tops.

2-Only you want them to.

3-The only way to totally prevent that is to turn off charging privileges for his KTTW card.

For the most part, we pack the same for our longer (14-28 night) cruises as we do for our 7 night cruises. No one is going to remember that you wore that blouse 3 days ago. Taking tops and bottoms that can mix and match extends how many outfits you have. And pieces that can do double duty are space savers. My skirt I use for pirate night can also be used for formal night, and one of the shawls I can use for formal night can be used for a swimsuit cover up, for example.

Edited by Shmoo here

Expect 3 formal/semi nights on a 14 night cruise. Yes, you can re-wear your dresses. A black skirt or dress pant goes a LONG way. And, as above, no one cares if you wear the same outfit 3 times.

Your kids can be as dressy or "typical" as you decide they should be.

ALL KTTW cards come with charging "turned on." That includes the 3 year old. You can have the charging turned off on all cards with a trip to GS. But you can't have it part way--they either have charging or they don't. You cannot set a limit on a card except on an honor system between the two of you. If you turn off charging, he can't do it at any time. You would have to be with him and use your card for anything you authorize.

There is never a charge for anything that occurs in the programming, so no worries there. This includes activities that have a charge outside programming--if they "Invade the Arr-cade," games are set to free play for that hour. If they have a "Smoothie party," everyone present gets a free smoothie. At "Make a t-shirt," everyone present gets a free shirt to decorate.

FWIW, I told daughter that if I EVER saw a soda charge on her account, it would be the last cruise she ever took. Never had a problem. I usually give her a limit--like $50 on a 7 night cruise. This lets her get a smoothie if desired or a trip to the gift shop...and she tracks it like crazy!

A couple hints on clothing on the ship....I know you are well experienced with kids, but life on the ship is a little different than at home.

Packing for little ones--I put a compete outfit in a zip lock type bag--undies, socks, the whole bit. In the morning, you need only to pull out a bag and they are ready to go. Yes, there are days they won't wear the socks or whatever, but this saves you from ending up with 2 totally mis-matched pieces a day or two before laundry! Or two minutes before the activity they want to do, being unable to find something necessary.

We don't go to dinner in the same sweaty clothing from all day. So, the dinner clothing will only be worn 2-3 hours a day. When people undress, I have a bag for clothes that cannot be worn again (laundry). Then I have a hang up section for "worn but can be worn again." Another easy way to grab things.

For as many people as you have, you may need to stagger laundry. You aren't likely to be able to go in and get 4 machines at one time. All of the machines have timers on them. It is easy to toss in a load and return in 28 minutes (or whatever the wash timer says.) Toss it in a dryer and return in 45 minutes (or whatever). You may find it easier to do a load or two every 3-4 days than to try to have 2 large laundry days. Yes, laundry is a pain...but on long cruises, a necessary one.

Thank you Shmoo and Moki'smommy. It is good to know that I can pack light. :) I like your ziplock bag idea Moki'smommy and I plan to use it. If I turn off the KTTW cards for my kids, can I give them some spending cash or does the boat not accept cash?

Thank you Shmoo and Moki'smommy. It is good to know that I can pack light. :) I like your ziplock bag idea Moki'smommy and I plan to use it. If I turn off the KTTW cards for my kids, can I give them some spending cash or does the boat not accept cash?

The ship does not accept cash. Other than the post office on Castaway Cay and the small area of Bahamian shops there, all things are on KTTW card. Most of the shops on Castaway are DCL shops; there are a few that I missed for many visits that are operated by Bahamians (gotta be something legal!) And they are only open if the weather is good....but you won't miss anything if you skip them! Obviously, in ports they accept cash. And most ports are more than happy to accept USD.

I'll also add that Disney Gift Cards can be used in the gift shops onboard. If that would work for you.

I believe that OP means that she will tell her 16 year old what his "limit" is, understanding that it is between mom and kid. She seems to understand that DCL will not allow her to place a limit on the card.

If you go the gift card route, be careful that they are "Disney" gift cards, not "Disney Store" gift cards. The "Disney Store" cards are not good on the ship.

I never cruised for years because I was almost afraid of formal night. I am not a formal person so the idea of dressing up (especially on a vacation) was just not my thing. We finally went on a DCL cruise a year os so ago and did not dress for formal night - clean clothes for sure - but no jacket etc.. It was fine. We are a quiet couple and we can't justify buying clothes only to be worn on a cruise. We have no need for formal type clothes at home. For those people who love dressing up - go for it.