Blue Shrimp - PV

Theribombs

We are sailing the Mexican Riviera in October and we received a recommendation to try a restaurant called Blue Shrimp. My question is....does anyone know if this restaurant is walkable or easily accessible from the cruise port? I've tried to look on Google maps, but I am having trouble identifying exactly where the ships dock or tenders come in. Thanks for any responses.

No it would not be walkable for you.....from the port walk down the road to the main highway you will see a Pemex gas station on your right, should be a yellow cab parked there, their rates are better then white federal cabs.

I wouldn't bother with the Blue Shrimp....Daquiri Dick's would be a better choice and is just across the walkway from Blue Shrimp.

What restaurant you choose, both and many more are on Playa Los Muertos in old town. Very close to Parque Lazaro Cardenas: http://vallartainfo.com/south-side-map/

No way you can walk, that is too far.

Take as mentioned one of the yellow cabs, always make your price before entering. Expect to pay around Pesos 100,-/120,- The ones at the port are a little bit more expensive.

On the way back you can only use the yellow cabs, again make your price.

If you want to save a few pesos, have a little fun, and experience a part of the local life...then take a bus into town (Centro) instead of the yellow taxi. You can catch buses in about the same spot as the yellow taxis and you simply need to hop on any bus that has "Centro" somewhere on their front windshield (avoid any bus that says "Tunel). The fare is only 7.5 Pesos and riding it will make you feel like a local :). When we are living in PV (at least 2 months a year) we regularly use both taxis and the buses....but buses are more fun.

Hank

On the way back you can only use the yellow cabs, again make your price.

If you are also planning on going to WalMart or Soriana, we have found that the fare is cheaper to go there before walking back to the ship, because then the drivers can usually pick up another fare there.

If you are able to walk over 5 miles in oppressive heat and humidity, then, yes, it is walkable.

FYI - We were there at the beginning of October last year. We were going out for dinner about 7 pm and it was so hot and humid, that my mom literally walked off the ship, took 4 steps, and said she was going back on the ship.

We are sailing the Mexican Riviera in October and we received a recommendation to try a restaurant called Blue Shrimp. My question is....does anyone know if this restaurant is walkable or easily accessible from the cruise port? I've tried to look on Google maps, but I am having trouble identifying exactly where the ships dock or tenders come in. Thanks for any responses.

Unlike Hlitner, my bride and I are only able to stay in PV three weeks at a time, twice a year. Our Spanish is poor, to say the least, and we all too often have jumped on the wrong bus (although we love riding the buses, even though we sometimes we take the "scenic route".) When arriving at the cruise docks, you can, like another has suggested, walk out and grab a yellow cab, and it will save you $2-4US, but if it were me, I would just grab a cab at the dock, ask them to deliver me to the "new pier", and then I would wander back north along the Malecon. You will find lots (and I do mean lots) of great cantinas and restaurants, Dacquiri Dick's and Blue Shrimp included. Find one that you like. After that, just keep wandering back North. You will find a lot (IMHO) of great places to shop and enjoy and re-hydrate. If (when) you tire, just grab a $6.00US cab back to the cruise docks.

Edited by downsized
cant spel

As Hlitner said, grab the bus on the main street (at the corner of the port street and the main street, turn left & you will see the bus stop). If you don't have pesos, give the driver a dollar (don't expect change). We have told the driver where we wanted to go, sat near the front and he told us where to get off the bus. We did check Google maps street level to get an idea of where to get off. We normally get off when the bus makes a left or right turn once in the Old Town area then walk towards the water.

Below is the rate chart for the taxis at the port. It is current as of beginning of Februay. Zone 1: beginning of Malecon; Zone 2: Cathedral area; Zone 3: Old Town (Romantic Zone); Zone 4: Mismaloya.

PV%20pier%20taxi%20rates_zps5hgr7rsd.jpg

Have eaten here several times and will be returning on our cruise again next month. Very good food and excellent service. Last time they prepared fresh guacamole table side and it was the best I ever had. Enjoy!! Love their shrimp tacos and fish tacos but they also have many other items on their menu.

We have been to the Blue Shrimp twice and it has been excellent both times. They do have tables on the beach if you like, however we sat inside under the palapa.

You cannot walk there from the cruise port. We take a cab just outside of the port at the Pemex gas station. It is abut $3 per person and we have them drop us off at the McDonald's at the Malecon and walk the mile or so to the Blue Shrimp.

The Malecon is very walkable and has lots of shops and restaurants on one side and beach on the other. No traffic as the street is closed to cars.

We have also been to the Sea Monkey, very close to the Blue Shrimp, along the Malecon, which is also very good.

For us, its a very enjoyable day.